Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Smith Machine for bench press

blue77
blue77
United States
2009/06/11, 04:52 PM
If you do the smith machine only,and out of the blue you decide to use the regular bench press,you load it up to your usual, what you use on the smith machine,and bang their goes your rotator cuff muscle,because you dident exercise the stabilizer muscles as you usually do they got weak and uncared for,so think ahead always.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/11, 05:00 PM
That being said, it is the same for all machines. Be careful when switching, always go lighter.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
mistakl
mistakl
United States
2009/05/21, 11:15 AM
I have began using the smith machined for my benchpress as incline and decline benchpress. I'm not sure how much to factor in the weight of the bar as to how much I am actually lifting, but do you think that the smith is as effective for benchpress compared to free barbell benchpressing or dumbell presses?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/21, 11:48 AM
One thing for sure with the smith machine is you are getting perfect form in your movement, where as on the the bench one might go off on the form.
The bar is 25lbs.
Welcome and enjoy freetrainers.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/05/21, 11:51 AM
Using the Smith will take out a lot of the stabilizers, so, you'll likely be able to lift heavier with it.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
2009/05/21, 01:07 PM
I've seen some more experienced lifters here call the smith a towel rack. That being said. It's all my gym has for benching, squatting etc. I like it because I rarely lft with a spotter around and it's safe. The weifgts do vary on the empty machine. Ours is 45 lbs.

You can add in some dumb bell exercises for working the accessory/stabilizer muscles. Do some lifts on a stability ball now and then and you're well covered for variety and accessory muscles.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
2009/06/12, 08:07 AM
To answer your last question, the smith machie (towel rack)is not as effective as using free weights.

============
Quoting from mistakl:

I have began using the smith machined for my benchpress as incline and decline benchpress. I'm not sure how much to factor in the weight of the bar as to how much I am actually lifting, but do you think that the smith is as effective for benchpress compared to free barbell benchpressing or dumbell presses?
=============
jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/14, 04:23 PM
The smith mach usally weights less than a normal bar I always factor it as 35lbs but w/e. I do know that although you always get perfect form, it is not as effective as using a barbell. When you benchpress with a barbell you workout alot of small muscles in and around your chest and it rips your chest more therefore giving you more gains. But dont get me wrong I use smith mach from time to time especially if I dont have a spot.

--------------
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot, and hang on.
~pres. Roosevelt
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/06/15, 08:46 AM
I disagree with the " you always get perfect form". Most if not all movements that our bodies do ( lifting pushing etc) are not a straight up and down motion. The smith machine puts you into a awkward position and IMO is not what it seems to be cracked up to be.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/15, 08:55 AM
Plus, what if the Smith's range of motion doesn't fit mine? You're locked into it's path and that may not be good for everyone.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
jspiked
jspiked
United States
2009/06/15, 12:26 PM
w/e all i know is I would much rather use a barbell...end of story.
UNLESS i dont have a spotter
then it all depends
i might use the smith mach

--------------
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot, and hang on.
~pres. Roosevelt
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/15, 08:17 PM
The range of motion and perfect form is easier to acquire by changing one's position with the bench.

--------------

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Brfuller333
Brfuller333
United States
2009/06/15, 08:39 PM
Not true that the smith machine will give you perfect form. The rail, although safer and easier to use while lifting alone, is actually a good way to throw your form off. Your arms start to adjust to the motion/direction of the bar and you fail to use all the muscles in your chest, traps and triceps that you would normally have to use in a regular bench in order to maintain balance and stability of the bar while off the smith track.

2009/06/15, 09:00 PM
Yhis is giving me a headache. Smith machines must cause headaches.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
hbomb0105
hbomb0105
United States
2010/02/09, 09:17 AM
Look on the side of the machine where there it talks about using the hooks. It usually says how much the bar weights and how many plate can be put on each side. I think it work ok, but I tend to like free weights more. It good for when you are trying to go for a new weight and dont have a spotter because you can work threw it by using the hooks.