Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder Acting Funny

foust130
foust130
United States
2003/04/19, 03:24 PM
When I do any incline presses, my right shoulder will pop and act like it wants to give out. Should I keep lifting to strentgh'n it, or should I stay away from the incline all together?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/19, 07:10 PM
sounds like you were lifting too heavy and your shoulder are taking a strain. I can't tell you to stop or not, only a dr or therapist when they see you can. Go lighter if you can and pay attention to your form. They (shoulders) should move like a hinge and your muscles should handle the weight.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/04/27, 09:43 AM
How long have you been lifting heavy? If you have been going heavy for an 8-10 week period or more, you may think about a break. See, one thing people forget here is the muscle can usually keep up, but it is the ligament, the tendon, or the joint or nerve ending that gives out first with continual bombardment of heavy weights. The popping could be cartilidge too. So, be careful, and if this is the case, may be time just for a break. If not, as carivan says, either form or if it continues, may be time to see someone more qualified.

--------------
The one goal you will NEVER achieve is the one you never attempt.
noirutla
noirutla
United States
2003/05/02, 10:41 AM
I have had some of the same sympoms..only in my left shoulder..it isnt a constain pain , but when I hit my shoulders at certain angles ( like coming up from a wide grip pull up ) I get a popping and discomfort. I have been hitting it heavy as I can for a couple months now.

If I took a few day or week break , there still nothing wrong with hitting abs, legs right? and cardio...also , would an arm work out hit the shoulders too much?

Does Glutamine help with joints?

hehe ok , ill shaddup now!
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/05/03, 01:26 PM
Glutamine doesn't help with joints, but glucosamine does (typically called glucosamine chondroitin, or the same ingredients as in OsteoBiflex). Get some, it's cheap safe and effective.

You need to find out what it is though; I had an MRI done about 4 months ago to figure mine out; it was an old high-school football injury and I never had it diagnosed til now...my family doc told me it was a "wacky tendon." Go figure...

one of the best ways to prepare your shoulder for these exercises is to use resistance bands; go 10 reps, three sets...step on the band lift hard to the sides, arms straight, then the front, arms straight. IT'll warm that shoulder right up and likely take pain away.

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II