Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sets and reps question.

Davo_85
Davo_85
Australia
2001/12/08, 06:42 AM
Hello.

When something says do 3 sets of 15 reps for a certain exercise. Does this mean do one set of that exercise. Rest. then another set. Rest. then do another set of that exercise ? Or does that mean just make sure u do 3 sets in ur workout for that day ? Example. 1 set of one exercise. Then do another set of something else. Then go back to the first one again ? The reason I ask is because I find it better and I burn my musscles better doing one set then another of something else then going back to that same one ect ect.

Thanks

Davo
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/08, 07:20 AM
Yes they means 3 sets of 15 one after another. But you can superset the exercises (doing one set one exercise then going to one set of a different exercise.) There is no perfect formula to working out. You can try different things. Right now I am doing pyramid sets, going heavier each set and reducing the reps.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/08, 08:26 AM
Yes do supersets but a good idea is to use the opposite muscle groups like pecs-back triceps-biceps harmstring-quads.... When doing one set you'll give the other muscle a little rest.
This is especially good when you are not having a lot of time for your work outs. Also it kicks up your metabolism.
Luck to you!
dr_martens_boot
dr_martens_boot
Saudi Arabia
2001/12/10, 08:23 AM
What are you doing the exercises for? fitness or bulk???
If its bulk/muscle mass its better having 1 minutes rest between doing each set of 1 exercise.Also try doing your heaviest set first and push out 10-15 reps then do drop sets of gradually decreasing weights this really hits the spot..
If you change exercises after each set this is more fitness training or as its know in the UK circuit training

MuscleRage
MuscleRage
United States
2002/01/15, 09:03 PM
Well it all depends on how you want to set up your workout. You could do 1 set of one exercise then do another and then go back to the other...this is called circuit training. or you could do three sets in a row with a rest in between.
BiggestDunk
BiggestDunk
United Kingdom
2002/11/29, 11:26 AM
How long would you advise leaving inbetween sets. For example if I did 15 Dumbell Presses, How long would yopu advise I wait before doing another 15...minutes/seconds?? Thanks, Chris
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/11/29, 12:58 PM
The biggest difference between the two different amounts of rest time is if you are trainng for muscle size or endurance? If for size, rest longer. The more fibers you can recruit, the heavier the weight you can use, and of course, that translates into more power and size. If you are training for endurance, then rest no more than 15 seconds to a minute. ATP replenishment is key here. For more massive, heavy weight, ATP stores may not be replenished for up to 3-4 minutes. I just made a post about this in another reply in this section I believe. May want to scroll down to the bottom of the postin, rest. Good luck.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!