Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

SCIATIC Nerve Injury and training??

mslegs
mslegs
United States
2002/11/13, 03:41 PM
Local doc diagnosed me with inflammation of Sciatic nerve, should I cease exercising for a while or go moderate and which ones to leave off?
Thanks
nickel007@mchsi.com
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/14, 01:53 AM
You'll need to rest and put some heat on your body..... Go for the sauna, massage or jacuzzi!!!

All the very best recovery for you!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
rorymccaffer
rorymccaffer
United Kingdom
2002/12/17, 07:45 AM
Hi Philia2 and mslegs. I'm currently suffering with sciatic pain, and it's REALLY annoying! I'm about to go for some acupuncture this afternoon, and chiropractic treatment in a couple of days, but I'm sick of giving up my hard-earned cash when I should be concentrating on prevention rather than treatment. Have you got any advice on stretching, exercises, etc for this rugby player nearing the end of his tether? Thanks very much,
Rory (ps- please be nice, as this is the first time anywhere on the 'net that I've left a message!!)
rorymccaffer
rorymccaffer
United Kingdom
2002/12/17, 07:46 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/12/18, 02:36 AM
If you want to treat and prevent the pain then you need to KNOW and understand why, when and how come.....
Do you sit down a lot? drive for hours? sleep in a bad bed? not wearing the right shoes? etc

Changing the thing causing the pain will be the answer.

Oh we're nice people, don't worry! (o;

A big welcome to you and please fill in your profile!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/12/19, 02:19 PM
do not exercise until it has gone away take it from me i was exercising with a pinch nerve in the neck and have not worked out for 4 months...
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2003/01/24, 02:14 PM
My experience with sciatica: 1. Don't doctor yourself - get a pro. 2. Apologies for lengthy details, but I want to make sure the explanation is thorough.

I fell down a short flight of steps, resulting in bad back pain. I consulted with my chiropractor, who helped ease the back pain. He was concerned that I had a herniated disk - MRI and X-ray confirmed this. He guided me through stretching exercises - no significant success.

Next a "compression" exercise routine, MacGregor Exercise, immediate improvement - back pain gone, but now radiating pain in my left hip, down my left leg. The pain was caused by the damage of the herniated disk, applying pressure on the lower portion of the spinal cord (corda equinus). This lessened, over time (6 weeks).

Meanwhile, consulting with two back surgeons, who agreed with the Chiropractor on every detail, said I didn't need surgery, just therapy.

Physical therapy - stretching and lower back and ab training with a focus on my particular problem. I stopped regular weight training on my legs, and reduced weights over all, but kept training using machines for the added stability. After 3 months, I began training legs again, to regain lost strength and "challenge" the damaged nerves. Recovery will take months - nerves recover very slowly.

By the way, all the medical professionals above agreed that my fall wasn't the real problem, it was "an active youth" that had worn down the surfaces of my vertebrae, making me more suseptible to disk herniation. What was I supposed to do, sit on the couch and eat twinkies?
houseofdiet
houseofdiet
United States
2003/01/24, 04:54 PM
Definately visit the chriopracter! my husband and his cousin swear this is the way to go. (both will tell you that you'll feel a little better and then a lot worse and then fine) :)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/24, 05:02 PM

============
Quoting from rsquade:

Next a "compression" exercise routine, MacGregor Exercise, immediate improvement -

What type of movement is this?

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2003/01/29, 09:56 AM
Based on the exercises recommended for me - the MacGregor Exercise:

1. Lie face down on floor/mat, "feeling" pressure of lower back toward the floor. - 1 minute
2. Rest chest on crossed arms, chin pulled in toward chest, "feeling" greater arch of lower back.
3. With hands under shoulders, press up, chin on chest, keep hips on the floor - 3 sets of 15 reps.

Rather than stretching the spine by bending from the waist, this applies compression to the lower spine, which for me led to improved alignment and tremendous relief.
Estherd
Estherd
United States
2007/07/20, 12:35 PM
I had sciatica in the spring and the best remedy was walking. Sitting at a computer, driving, etc. made it worse. Also, went on a short trip, and sleeping on the hard hotel mattress made me realize that it was time to turn our mattress because I got better support on the harder mattress. I wouldn't do any lifting. I couldn't even carry my purse. Yoga and pilates type exercises helped, but only gentle yoga, not the power stuff until you're really better.