Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Robert...more questions

Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/04, 08:32 PM
Sorry but I have several questions.
I read your post to someone else saying to start out with light weights on the first set and increase as you go up. I have been using a weight I could do the first set with barely, because the other sets are less I can do them all. Basically I have been using almost my max weight for everything. Is this bad? If so should I do the first two sets with a lighter weight and then add say 10 lbs for the last two?
Question 2: I am becoming lopsided. I know everyone has one side of their body that is larger, but I'd like to minimize this affect as much as possible. Can this be accomplished by adding a fifth set to only my left arm on dumbell exercises? Thanks much.

----------------------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/04, 11:14 PM
I thought i'd try and help.. try to 'pyramid' up and your probably get a better burn in the muscle your working with... I often use a really light weight for my first set (which is usually a high # of reps) then I add maybe 10-20 each set so that the last one I end up doing even if I think I can't... try it.. every set put something extra on.. even if its 2 and a half pound plate.. but don't go too light or you won't be helping yourself any...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/05, 12:52 AM
Yes (if I can answer too) the first set is normally just a warm up set so don't take too heavy (and you need the energy for the heavy dumbells after).
The pyramidal system works like this: less reps, more weight.

Finally, no don't do more sets for the weak side, but try to concentrate harder on it. Always start with the weak side and do as many reps possible (with a given weight) and then do the smae number of reps with the other side.

Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/05, 10:45 AM
Thanks very much. I think that should help me out significantly.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/05, 11:28 AM
I'm glad there are so many knowledgable people here in the boards! Sounds like your questions are answered Cain. If you follow an ft program, using the pyramid system, you may find that you cannot lift the recommended number of reps. on the last set. Don't worry, you can do a drop set or superset to replace that last set. If you need me to explain this further, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail here at ft.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**