Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Rest times for optimal performance

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/28, 06:18 PM
Many folks have asked about optimal rest times for their goals. This is a pretty cool study...have a little issue with one part but very small, other than that seems to be pretty concise and a good guideline...

Research Review

Willardson, J.M. A brief review: Factors affecting the length of the rest
interval between resistance exercise sets. J. Strength Cond. Res. 20(4):978-984. 2006

Research has indicated that multiple sets are superior to single sets for maximal strength development. However, whether maximal strength gains are achieved may depend on the ability to sustain a consistent number of repetitions over consecutive sets. A key factor that determines the ability to sustain repetitions is the length of rest interval between sets. The length of the rest interval is commonly prescribed based on the training goal, but may vary based on several other factors. The purpose of this review was to discuss these factors in the context of different training goals. When training for muscular strength, the magnitude of the load lifted is a key determinant of the rest interval prescribed between sets. For loads less than 90% of 1 repetition maximum, 3-5 minutes rest between sets allows for greater strength increases through the maintenance of training intensity. However, when testing for maximal strength, 1-2 minutes rest between sets might be sufficient between repeated attempts. When training for muscular power, a minimum of 3 minutes rest should be prescribed between sets of repeated maximal effort movements (e.g., plyometric jumps). When training for muscular hypertrophy, consecutive sets should be performed prior to when full recovery has taken place. Shorter rest intervals of 30-60 seconds between sets have been associated with higher acute increases in growth hormone, which may contribute to the hypertrophic effect. When training for muscular endurance, an ideal strategy might be to perform resistance exercises in a circuit, with shorter rest intervals (e.g., 30 seconds) between exercises that involve dissimilar muscle groups, and longer rest intervals (e.g., 3 minutes) between exercises that involve similar muscle groups. In summary, the length of the rest interval between sets is only 1 component of a resistance exercise program directed toward different training goals. Prescribing the appropriate rest interval does not ensure a desired outcome if other components such as intensity and volume are not prescribed appropriately.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/01/28, 07:14 PM
ty bb1 :D
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/28, 07:43 PM
Some people look at me like I'm nuts in the gym because I carry a stop watch and time all my rests but then again some do a set then walk around and BS with other people then go back and lift.

I time myself to push myself and I need to know my rest time so I know when to get back to it.

light weight work 30 to 45 seconds, Abs 10 seconds unless weighted then up to 30 and 1.30 to 2 minutes when doing sets of 5 to 8.

For me there is fine line and if I go to soon I may not complete my set and if I wait to long I lose the mental I need to complete the next set.

So a post like this makes me feel good that I do this!

Thanks BB1:big_smile:

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!