Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Recovery for broken ancle

ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/02, 07:37 AM
I broke my ancle in htree places in January 2006, so now I have some metal and spikes in there. It took a while to heal and then to learn to use it again, and I did physio and walked way too much and stated wearing high heels a lot earlier than I should have, although that part actually worked out great and turned out to be a good thing.
I bought a vibration plate to get in shape, but I didn't loose any weight. It was great for my ancle and my legs, so defenatly not wasted money.
I still lack some flexibility, especially in the "leaning forward" possition. Sitting as the Japanece is getting easier as I practice, but the the other way is still hard, and I think it might impair my squatting technique. I don't know exactly where the problem is or what tendons or muscles to work. It feels as if there is something stopping the movement in the front, and not at the back. My therapist said it would never get as flexible as it once was, but I want to prove them wrong. Side-to-side is pretty much back to normal, although with some strain.
Any thoughts?

--------------
-----------------------------------
Getting there... one kg at a time...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/02, 11:46 AM
My first thoughts are, you need a new therapist.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/02, 03:59 PM
It was free under the health service in Sweden. If you pay more than a certain amount of money for your treatment, everything else is paid for. It was OK and helped me a lot, but now, on this forum, with plenty of people who really work out, I was hoping to get some pointers to what I can do. I refuse to let a little thing like a broken ancle get in my way. I'm hoping that when I'm a lot fitter and slimmer, I can try out aikido again, but my ancle needs a bit more flexibility.

--------------
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/03, 04:55 PM
Ever tried proprioception exercises?

Also, go to T-nation.com and do a search for an article containing tips for ankle mobility.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/03, 06:28 PM
My first thought is you need to explain your movement impairments better.

Second thought is that you need to train mobility AS WELL AS flexibility.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/04, 05:10 AM
I walk without any problem, and run as well (not a big fan). Side to side is equal on both good ancle and bad, but the bad feels it a bit more.
When I point my toes or do calf raises, I see only a slight difference where my good ancle can point a tiny fraktion more. When I sit Japanese style on my heels, feet pointing bakwards, and thighs getting a good stretch, I feel that my bad ancle has a bit more to get used to, but that part isn't much more than a matter of repeating the movement until it's fully back to normal.
It's the other way that I could use some help with.
When you do calf raises, you lower the heel down. That I can do. When you squat, you move your ancle the same way, and when you stretch your calf, you "lean" forward on your feet as well. When I do that, I can't lean forward as far on my bad ancle, as on my good. It feels as if there is something in the way between the upper part of my foot, and my leg (chin). I don't think there is anything there, but I don't know how to work that part. Stretching is easy, but compressing isn't.
My leg and foot.... |_
Streching, pointing toes \_ needs a bit more work, but getting there.
Leaning forward /_ needs help.

--------------
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/04, 07:06 AM
I feel I need to clarify a bit more.
My ankle is fine for basic everyday things, but I sometimes feel a bit of pain in it after working out or walking. My vibration plate was great for getting me this far. I can jump and stand on one leg on that ankle as well, no problem there. The pain is temporary and it doesn't bother me. It will get better over time. I stretch both legs equally, even if the "pointing toe"-sitting stretch of my thighs needs some work, but that isn't my problem. I can do more now than three weeks ago.
After I've done calf raises, I want to stretch my calves, and I usually do a variation of "pushing the wall with one leg back". When I do that with my right leg (with the bad ankle), I don't feel the stretch in my calf, because I can't "lean" forward far enough. So how do I fix that?

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/17, 05:13 PM
By your movement descriptions it sounds like a problem with your achilles. A rupture would cause immediate problems, while tendinosis would cause problems.

Most likely issue is that when they repaired your ankle, they cut the tendon and reattached it shorter that it was prior to the surgery. Since I'm not sure what surgery was done, I can't be more specific than this guess. Your best bet to get a little more flexibility is to stretch your achilles tendon as best you can, however if it isn't causing pain or movement impairement, than I don't see a problem. A pathology doesn't necessarily facilitate an impairment, and if there is no performance reducing impairment, then continue doing as you are.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/20, 06:45 PM
If I wasn't working out it might not be much of a problem, but I wan't full movement, so I can squat properly, and do calf raises, and stretch properly too. I guess I'm just not satisfied with almost OK.
Just out of curiosity... when I normally stretch something, I can feel the pull and a bit of "pain" in the tendon I'm stretching (or the muscles?), but with my bad ankle, when I stretch the achilles (as after calf raises) I feel a stop at the front instead of a pull at the back. That is why I thought there was something in the way at the front, instead of the achilles being too short. The doc didn't say anything about the achilles, but I broke the thin bone at the back, along with both my "ankle knobs" (sorry about the words, I just don't know what you call them in English or Latin).
I'll keep on stretching for now, and see if it gets better. I just don't want to stretch the wrong part.

--------------
k-ok
k-ok
United States
2007/10/21, 12:52 AM
The plates and screws in your leg may also be a factor in preventing you from getting that final bit of motion. My experience with orthopods is they typically don't remove them unless something is backing out or is causing some major limitation.

If this is the cause of the limitation, try as you may, it's not oing to get much better.
ReptilianFeline
ReptilianFeline
Sweden
2007/10/22, 07:21 AM
On the x-ray it looks like the metal is just placed over the breaks, connecting the bones again, not over several bones. Don't know if this matters or not. Considering how far I've come already, I don't theink the metal is the problem, unless the nails are placed over some of the tendons. I think I'll have to take a closer look at the anatomy over at Wikipedia, and see if that is any help.

--------------