Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Question for Bodybuilders

mmhasty
mmhasty
United States
2004/02/12, 04:30 AM
How long did it take before you entered your first competition? I have always dreamed of entering one, but think I need at least a year or two to bulk up and cut up.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/02/12, 10:04 AM
well, i'm not into competing, but i'd do so whenever i felt i was ready... take a look at yourself and if you feel like you have a chance, then go for it...
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/12, 10:08 AM
There is no set amount of time, pimple is right. Whenever you feel ready. The sooner you get your diet correct, the sooner you can compete. Don't make the mistake of going to the gym and thinking, I am working my ass off, I will get big. You don't get there in the gym, your diet determines the what you get out of the gym. Never ever forget this. You do not have to be a heavyweight either, there are tons of bantamweight,lightweight, etc. bodybuilders out there. All contests other than "pro" type contests have these classes. Even teen classes, some shows I have done even have wheelchair class. These guys are really inspiring, if they can do it, anyone should be able to.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/12, 10:45 AM
As long as you have some muscle under the bodyfat, y9ou can diet down and compete, but if you feel that you don't have a good base amount of muscle, it might be good to take a year to build it up (while eating right, of course) before going into a pre-contest cycle.
Picking a contest a year out and making a game plan for training and diet can be a great motivator!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/02/12, 11:03 AM
As BB1 and ASIMMER said, you don't have to be big, just as long as there is muscle underneath it all. One thing you should work on if you are serious about competing is symmetry with your muscles.

--------------
May the lift be with you.