Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

protein shakes vs. eating afterward

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/03/26, 09:37 PM
ok............i know the next hour to hour and a half after u work ou tis very crutial.....however i'm in college and i have a question. most of the week i don't get up till about 1030( mon weds fri) tues 830 and thursday around 615
now when i get up i don't have anything to cook on but i usullly drink a protein shake with a spoon of penut buttor or somthing.......then i eat lunch around 1130 or so .........then after class is over with around 3 i drink a protein shake 15mins b4 i work out (w/glutamin, creatin and som eamino acid pills) and continue to sip thi sas i work out....now heres my question??? after i am done wich is usually around 5 or 530 should i go drink a protein shake go back to my room and chill for 30mins or so then go eat?.......or eat then drink protein shake after.....i know when ur stomach digests ur food it mixes it and all goes pretty much the same way......so need i not worry as long as i drink one or what????
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/03/26, 10:15 PM
I would definately have a protein shake post workout. It is crucial within 45 min to get some protein and creatine into your system and start assimilating into your bloodstream.

--------------
Peace on earth

Ivan Montreal Canada
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/03/27, 06:20 AM
Carivan is right, go with the shake post workout. Then eat about 30-40 minutes later.
Chatam2
Chatam2
United States
2004/02/25, 05:45 PM
y is it so "crucial" to get "protein and creatine into your system" after you work out?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/27, 04:26 PM
because during excercise, your body starts to break up protein in a process called protein synthesis. This can cuase your muscles to actually deteriorate if you have exceptionally long workouts without nurishment. you need to eat immediately to stop this process. The time after you work out is the time when your body is begging for protein and other nutrients. It will actually absorb more than it needs (overcompensation) and the results can be very positive. I read in a magazine (i think it might have been SELF) that a study at some university discovered that excercisers that ate a full meal directly after working out built up 95% more muscle, and only absorbed 5% of the fat that was available in the food. Ive also heard of similair studies in which the subjects could gain 2-3X as much muscle mass when they had a protein shake before or directly after a work out, although most would discourage a protein shake before a workout.
hope this helps

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

'Isnt that lifestyle boring?'

"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny."
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
louch
louch
United States
2004/03/18, 04:16 PM
what about having glutamine and water after,instead of having a protein shake.
louch
louch
United States
2004/03/18, 04:16 PM
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/03/18, 07:03 PM
NO NO NO...YOU NEED YOUR PROTEIN. Take the glutamine as well. There's not trade-off with your question, they are two different entities. You need protein, especially after your workout.

============
Quoting from louch:

=============

--------------
Baseball is wrong: Man with four balls cannot walk.

Jdelts@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/19, 07:04 PM
HHHmmmmmm....protein synthesis causing your muscles to deteriorate??? :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

because during excercise, your body starts to break up protein in a process called protein synthesis. This can cuase your muscles to actually deteriorate if you have exceptionally long workouts without nurishment. you need to eat immediately to stop this process. The time after you work out is the time when your body is begging for protein and other nutrients. It will actually absorb more than it needs (overcompensation) and the results can be very positive. I read in a magazine (i think it might have been SELF) that a study at some university discovered that excercisers that ate a full meal directly after working out built up 95% more muscle, and only absorbed 5% of the fat that was available in the food. Ive also heard of similair studies in which the subjects could gain 2-3X as much muscle mass when they had a protein shake before or directly after a work out, although most would discourage a protein shake before a workout.
hope this helps

=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com