Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Pro Forum 4-month challenge recipes

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/08, 06:30 PM
I thought it might be helpful to gather some recipes here that will be good for the eating plan in the challenge.

This is also a thread where challenge participants can post their recipes that they create while doing the challenge meal plans.

Of course, you will need to adjust the amounts for your own allowances.

Breakfast options:
With 4 oz turkey breast
1 egg, 3 whites (or two whites and 1 oz mozzarella cheese)
1/2 cup omelet vegetables or 1/2 grapefruit:
#1 Turkey/mushroom/onion omelet
Spray a small pan with Olive oil spray, sauté 1/4 c diced red onion until it softens and then add 4 oz diced, cooked, turkey and 1/2 c sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with Prudhomme's vegetable magic, stir and then add a dash of fat free, low sodium chicken broth. Stir until heated through.
Mean while beat egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl, add a tsp or two water, beat well. Spray a large nonstick pan w/Pam and heat. Pour eggs into pan, spreading evenly to coat, cook 2-3 minutes, layer 1 oz mozzarella slices on egg, add turkey mixture, fold over and viola - a huge, tasty omelet!

#2 Scrambled eggs with turkey, onion and salsa..
You got it,
Beat one egg and three egg whites with 1 tsp water.
Chop 4 oz turkey and 1/4 c onion.
Spray a pan with olive oil, heat. Add onion, cook til softened, adding a dash of fat-free, reduced sodium broth if needed, add turkey, heat a minute, add 2 TBSP salsa, stir and add eggs. Scramble until fully cooked. Enjoy!

#3 another turkey omelet variation

1 egg, 3 egg whites
1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
1/4 c onion, finely chopped
1/4 c (or more to taste) cilantro, chopped
4 oz cooked turkey breast, chopped

cook onion, add garlic and cilantro and turkey, heat through. Make omelet layer with eggs, add filling, fold over, heat thru. Enjoy!

#4 Spicy scrambled eggs with broccoli

1/2 c broccoli, microwave w/1 TBSP water for 2-3 minutes and drained
4 oz turkey breast, pre-cooked
1 egg, three whites, beaten with 1 tsp water
fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes

Place broccoli in a medium nonstick pan, add a little chicken broth (to keep it from drying out and burning, add garlic and cayenne, simmer until spices are fragrant and broth has evaporated (2-3 minutes).Add turkey and eggs, scramble til cooked through. Enjoy!

Okay - some other meals....

Cabbage curry

2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1 tsp curry powder
dash cayenne
4 oz grilled chicken breast, diced.
Fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
tsp olive oil

Place tsp olive oil in med pan over med heat. Add cabbage, curry powder and cayenne, stir and sauté, adding broth as needed to keep moist. When cabbage starts to wilt, add chicken, stir until heated thru. Enjoy!

Asian accent cabbage

Same as above, but use Emeril Lagasse's Asian spice blend instead of curry and cayenne - very tasty!!

Okay, enough for now, right? how many ways can you cook turkey and eggs and vegetables?
i hope you find these useful and not too obvious..

Curried cauliflower with beef (or chicken)

One cup cauliflower
Fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth, to cover for soup or just enough for steaming (2-3 TBSP)
1 tsp curry powder
dash cayenne

Put above in microwaveable bowl, cover and microwave until soft (not soggy). I do 3 minutes, check and do 2-3 more if needed.
Then stir in your choice of pre-cooked lean protein (leftover slices of steak were really good!)

Heat a small pan with about 1/2 tsp olive oil, add 4 oz lean ground turkey, cook until no longer pink, stirring around often, add 1-2 cups broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli, a little cabbage and carrots) and a splash of chicken broth. Add curry powder if desired, cook until broccoli is wilted.

Mean while - preheat a large pan, spray with cooking spray, cook 1 egg+3 whites, mixed with curry powder and cayenne pepper, into a thin layer, place broccoli/turkey mix on top, fold egg layer over and voila! My new favorite omelet...

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/08, 06:35 PM
Not Your Mother's Meatloaf - Laura Creavelle, M&F July 2004

15-16 oz extra lean ground turkey (I used purdue 99% fat-free)
3 tbsp yellow cornmeal
1/2c minced onion
1/4c egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2c mild or hot salsa (your pick!)
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 4 large muffin cups with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix together everything but the salsa. Mix well. Divide mixture into four equal amounts, place in prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 - 25 minutes, until done (thermometer should read 165).
Serve topped with 1 tbsp salsa.
Per mini-meatloaf:
170 calories
29g protein
9g carbs
4g fat
1g fiber

This recipe is very tasty, not as spicy as it sounds and is good over rice. Place the mini-loaves in seperate baggies with 1/2 to 1 cup rice and you have made 4 meals for the coming week.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/08, 06:45 PM
My favorite, easiest, way to have fish in a flash -
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

spray a baking dish with cooking spray, then place frozen pollock fillets in the dish, sprinkle with the seasoning mix of your choice - Emeril's southwestern or asian are both great!

Spray top very lightly with cooking spray and bake about 12 minutes, until fish flakes easily.

Really good with salsa on top!

My version of South beach Diet's Cod en papillote
(thats fancy for fish in parchment paper...)

1 pkg cod fillets (there were five in mine), thawed.
1/2a lemon
1c thinly sliced mushrooms
1 small zucchini, cut into matchstick strips
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced

1 1/2 tsp smart balance, divided

preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cut two 2-foot lengths of parchment paper and fold each in half to make a square (i made one extra and baked one fillet with just a 1/2 tsp of smart balance for my daughter, no veggies). Place 2 fillets slightly below the center of each square, Over each packet, squeeze 1/4 of the lemon, then divide the mushrooms, onion and zucchini evenly between the two. Top each packet with 1/2 tsp smart balance. Fold the paper up over the fish and veggies and crimp the edges to stay shut (I stapled the ends) Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes - to serve just cut open the packets after placing them on plates.

South beach uses cod steaks and adds red peppers with the veggies and uses more butter sub than I did.

Their totals per serving (this was two servings)
370 calories, 56g protein, 7g carbs, 12 g fat, 2g sat fat, 2g fiber.

My totals were lower in fat and protein.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/08, 06:51 PM
11 ways to scramble your eggs/egg whites/egg beaters

1) Turmeric and cumin scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp ground chipotle or black pepper.

2)Garlic and pepper scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp garlic powder or granules, and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground black, red or chipotle pepper.

3)Hickory smoked scramble: 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke seasoning, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground red or black pepper. For a sausage-like flavor add 1/4 tsp cumin or sage.

4) Tex mex scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp dried oregano.

5) Scrambled eggs with chili powder: 1/2 - 1/4 tsp chili powder blend.

6) Italian scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric and 1/4 tsp dried basil, with 1/4 tsp dried oregano. optional: 1/2 tsp minced garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder. optional: 1 pinch ground black pepper and/or 2-3 minced sundried tomato halves.

7)French scramble: 1/4 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp dried tarragon, 1 tsp dried chives ( or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped chives)optional 1/8 tsp ground black pepper.

8) Hungarian scramble: 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/4 tsp dried dill weed, or 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/8 tsp black pepper. optional: add a dash of minced sweet red and/or green bell peppers or onions to the egg mixture before cooking.

9) Chicken and egg scramble: combine one egg and two egg whites and 1-2 oz cooked chicken breast (chopped), with any of the seasoning combos above.

10) Salmon and egg scramble: 1 egg, 2 whites, 1-2 oz cooked flaked salmon, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp ground red or black pepper, 1/4 tsp dry mustard or dill weed. for a smoky taste add 1/2 tsp liquid hickory smoke seasoning.

11) Turkey and egg scramble: 1 egg, 4 whites, seasoning of your choice, 1-2 strips cooked turkey bacon, minced or cut with shears (you could also use pre-cooked ground turkey breast).
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/08, 06:56 PM

Steamed asparagus -

So easy and tasty.

Rinse asparagus under running water, then gently bend each stalk until it snaps - discard the lower, fibrous part (or try giving it to your dog, my boys love them).

Place all of the tops on a plate that will fit in the microwave, sprinkle on a little water and cover with another plate 9upside down) or microwaveable plastic wrap.
Microwave 4-6 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave, just until tender-crisp.

Sprinkle with either soy sauce and garlic or lemon. or there is a tasty soy sauce called Ponzu that is citrus-flavored soy sauce - very good on vegetables!

Pico De Gallo

Here is a great way to liven up your low fat burgers and chicken breasts, fish or even shrimp - It is fresh and tasty!

2 medium tomatoes, mine weighed 4.5 oz each, about two cups
½ a large onion, 4oz, about ¾ c
1 jalapeno pepper, 1 oz, seeds removed
1 medium lime, mine was about 4.5oz
½ bunch of cilantro (1 cup when chopped)

Dice the tomatoes, onion and jalapeno into small cubes. Chop the cilantro. Place in a medium bowl. Roll the lime around while pressing down on it, then cut in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl with the other ingredients.

This made about 3 cups.
Total 170 calories
6g protein
41.4g carbohydrates
<1.6g fat
8.4g fiber

Per ½ cup serving:
28.3 calories
1g protein
6.9g carbohydrates
.26g fat
1.4g fiber

It is even better if you cover it and let it meld together in the fridge overnight!

You can top just about anything with it, try it on burgers!

Thai Sweet Potato and Sugar Snap Pea Salad - Oxygen Magazine, July 06

Makes 12 servings (small)

Dressing:
1/4c seasoned rice vinegar
1/4c low sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp Smart Balance omega blend mayo
4 tsp fresh ginger, minced
½ tbsp roasted sesame oil
5 cloves garlic, minced (2 ½ tsp pre-minced)
1.5 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
1.5 tsp sugar-free maple syrup

Salad
2 lbs yams, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
2 cups (one bag) sugar snap peas, cut into ½ inch pieces
1/2c sliced green onion
1/4c dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped

Place the sweet potatoes on a large saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to a boil, then cook about 7 minutes, until tender but not mushy (test with a fork). Drain and rinse under cold water.

In a blender, mix dressing ingredients on low speed until smooth.

Once the sweet potatoes are cool, put them in a large bowl, add the sugar snap peas, onions and dressing. Mix thoroughly and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with peanuts before serving.

Nutrients per 128g serving:
Calories 182
Fat 7g
Cholesterol 0
Carbs 27g
Fiber 4g
Protein 4g

Vegging Out
This curried vegetable stew adds some sizzle to your meals.

If you're still not a veggie fan, this dish will convince you to become one. The spicy, robust flavor tones down the spinach and peppers, while delivering a serious fiber boost. Try it for a hearty, filling dinner.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or 1 cup tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
4 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans or black beans
3 tablespoons creamy or crunchy natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 pound baby spinach leave, torn into bite-size pieces

To Prepare:

Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, and celery and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder and saute until fragrant; do not brown garlic. Add the tomatoes and bay leaf and cook, uncovered, until tomatoes are slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.

Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir in beans and peanut butter. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and spinach. Serve immediately.

Yield: 2 quarts; 8 (1-cup) servings

Nutritional Values: Fat: 6 g. Carbohydrates: 18 g. Protein: 7 g. Calories: 145 kcal.

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/09, 08:39 AM
I had found most of these...but was having trouble keeping up with them...I'm gonna print this out...thanks Amy!!!!
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/09, 08:40 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/09, 10:50 AM
Sweet potatoes, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

1) when you are wrapped in foil and baked for an hour at 400 degrees. You are sweet and moist and need nothing on top. Like having dessert for dinner.

2) When you are sliced, boiled or steamed until soft and them mashed... so good.

3) When you are grated and cooked like hashbrowns, or made into sweet poatato pancakes. The way you carmelize, so tasty.

4) When you are sliced into wedges, tossed with olive oil, sprinkled with seasoning, and baked for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. You beat french fries anyday.

I love you, sweet potato!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/12, 08:52 AM
Get Over It Soup
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
2c ff chicken broth
1/2c canned sliced shitake mushrooms, drained (1 sm can)
1/2c cooked rice
1/2c green beans
5 oz cooked, cubed chicken breast
California garlic pepper
cayenne pepper.

In a medium pot saute onion in olive oil until it softens, add garlic and cook a few minutes longer. add the chicken broth, then the mushrooms and rice, cook and stir while simmering. Shake in garlic pepper to taste and cayenne to your preference. Simmer 5 minutes, add chicken, aimmer 5 minutes, add green beans and heat through. Serve!

Makes one giant sick-girl sized bowl.
Approximately 300 - 340 calories, 42g pro, 24g counted carbs, 10g fat (all estimetes, I don't feel like looking it up today - but I know it is the right amount of chicken and not too many starchy carbs. The only fat comes from the olive oil, 7g, and the rest from the chicken breast).

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/13, 07:23 PM
I was making these sweet potato fries for dinner and thought - I should post this in the challenge recipes - I found it and a few others that are suitable.

When you make the sweet potato oven fries you can make part of the recipe with regular potatoes for those non-sweet poatato eaters in your house!

Ten Minute Szechuan Chicken

Submitted by Michael Pusateri

A simple, quick recipe for Szechuan-style chicken with basic ingredients. This is usually served over white rice.
Serves 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Calories: 199.42
Calories from Fat: N/A
Total Fat: 4.93 g
Saturated Fat: N/A
Cholesterol: N/A
Sodium: N/A
Total Carbohydrate: 10.06 g
Dietary Fiber: N/A
Sugars: N/A
Protein: 28.71 g
Vitamin A: N/A
Vitamin C: N/A

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
0.25 cup water
1 teaspoon white sugar
3 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
0.125 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

Directions
1. Place the chicken and cornstarch into a bag or bowl, and toss to coat. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken pieces and garlic, stirring constantly until lightly browned. Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water.
2. Stir in the green onion, and cayenne pepper, cook uncovered for about 2 more minutes. Serve over white rice.

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/14, 02:28 PM
New Tasty Tuna salad!

1 can tuna
1/2c kidney beans
1/2c canned corn
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 thick slice red onion, minced
1 tbsp Udo's oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp splenda
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried cilantro (or fresh if you have it)
a few grinds of black pepper and a few girnd of coarse salt

Mix well and ENJOY!

About 35gcho/40g pro/16g fat

--------------

-Henry David Thoreau
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/14, 05:22 PM
That sounds really good....going for the soup tonight...
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/10/17, 04:03 PM
These are some really great recipes! Thank you Amy:big_smile:

--------------
"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them." -LOTR Trilogy
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/20, 07:11 AM
Okay _ I am still perfecting this, but I was trying to come up with a crunchy fish recipe that would still be within the guidlelines for our challenge - this is the first attempt, not bad.

Oat-crusted ovenfried fish fillets

3-4 fillets white fish (pollack or tilapis or whatever type you like/have) Thawed and drained.
1/2c oats
1 tsp Emeril's original seasoning OR 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp salt, 18/tsp pepper, 1/4tsp garlic powder/granules, 1/4 onion powder
2 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
cooking spray

preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a shallow dish (pie plates work great) mix the egg whites, lemon juice and water.
In a blender or clean coffee grinder, grind 1/4c of the oats until fine, place in second shallow dish (seperate from egg white mixture), then grind the other 1/4c oats caorsely and add to the fine ground oats in the dish. Add the seasoning mix (or all the spices) and blend together with a fork.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

Dip the fish fillets, one at a time, into the egg mixture, then into the oat mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place on prepared cookie sheet.

Spray the top of the fish lightly with cooking spray (I used butter flavored), and bake 12 minutes, or until firm and fish flakes easily with a fork.

This made One serving for me, 27g carbs approximately and 42g protein approximately, very little fat.

I served it over a bed of Broccoli slaw that I sauteed in a little smart balance with california garlic pepper blend.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/20, 07:17 AM
I just realized that i meant to post these sweet potato recipes and somehow posted szechuan chicken, only in my world...

Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Recipe By : The Global Vegetarian by Jay Solomon, page 142
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Potatoes Side Dishes
Ingredient --
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
3 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves -up to 4
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes -- scrubbed and diced
1 teaspoon paprika
Makes 4 servings.

I have a penchant for sweet potatoes-never, never the canned stuff, but the portly roots straight from the earth. Roasting brings out their natural sweetness.
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the garlic, oil, rosemary, salt, cayenne, and potatoes and toss together. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Place the potatoes on a greased baking pan. Lightly sprinkle the paprika over the potatoes.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced by a fork. Serve immediately.

Oven-fried Sweet Potatoes
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic -- minced (2 to 3)
Cut the potatoes into thin wedges. Pile them in a bowl and cover them with cold water. Let rest 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Coat a baking sheet with vegetable spray. Set aside.
Drain the potatoes and dry them with paper towels. Press the potatoes with paper towels to remove all water. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
Sprinkle the potatoes with oil, tossing the potatoes to disburse it. Then sprinkle with pepper, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.
Bake the potatoes at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn over the potatoes.
Sprinkle potatoes with garlic and continue cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp and brown. Serve immediately.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/21, 09:23 PM
I made these tonight - my husband says they are too spicy, I liked them! If you don't like things so spicy, use less cayenne pepper!

Spicy Tuna Patties

2 6oz cans of tuna, drained
1 small onion, chopped (1/2c)
1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
tsp bold & spicy brown mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp parsley (I used dried)
1/4c corn meal
2 egg whites

cooking spray

Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and saute the onion until it is soft, while it cooks, mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl. When the onion is cooked, ad it to the mixture in the bowl, ix well.
Reheat nad respray the nonstick pan. Shape the tuna mixture into four patties (it will be pretty moist, don't worry, they dry out as they cook), place them in the pan over medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes a side, until browned.

Makes 4 patties
per patty:
calories 92.25
Protein 19.75g
carbohydrates 7.57g
fat .25g
fiber 1.1g

These were really good topped with Walden Farms calorie free bleu cheese dressing (found it at the grocery store in the diabetic/diet/sugarfree section - better than i expected).

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/22, 11:29 AM
These sound GREAT...I love spicy!!I saw them in your log and was hoping you posted the recipe...sounds really good!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/22, 12:26 PM
Here is a Sunday morning challenge feast! And it fits into your diet! Wow - I am beside myself. I love food...

Potato pancakes ( European Cuisine from the Guiltless Gourmet, with additional spices by Amy)

2 medium potatoes (I used yukon gold and they rocked)
2 egg whites
1/4c onion, finely grated
1/4c barley flour
1/8 tsp white pepper (or black is fine, too)
1/4 tsp salt
nonstick apray

Grate the potatoes and place in a colander to drain while you grate the onion. Press as much water out of the potatoes as you can, then place in a large bowl and add everything but the cooking spray. Mix well.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
Heat a large nonstick pan (medium/high)and when it is hot,
spray with cooking spray. Using a quarter cup measure, drop potato mixture into pan and flatten with back of measuring cup. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, turn and cook other side. Place cooked potato panckes on a cookie sheet in the preheated oven to stay warm while you cook the rest of the potato pancakes. Be sure to let the pan reheat between batches and spray lightly with cooking spray to avoid sticking.

Makes 8 pancakes, 2 per serving

each serving contains
calories 55
2g protein
12g cho
0g fat
15mg sodium
1g fiber (maybe a little more because I left on the peels, they calculated peeled potatoes)

ADA exchange 3/4 starch/bread

Serve these with a samll dollop of lowfat/fatfree sour cream and a spoonful of applesauce spread on top - the bomb!

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/22, 12:37 PM
Here is what we had with those potato pancakes - and it makes a lot so you have them left over for your weekday breakfasts, too!

Turkey breakfast sausage (cooking light magazine)
1tbsp olive oil
1/2c finely chopped onion
1/2c peeled and shredded fuji or breaburn apple
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp dried thyme (or tbsp fresh, chopped)
1 tsp dried, rubbed sage (or tbsp fresh, chopped)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 pounds ground turkey breast
cooking spray

Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over med-high heat. Add onion and apple, saute 3 minutes. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. remove from pan and cool completely (stick it in the fridge while you prep the turkey and make the potato pancake mix above).

Combine the turkey and herbs/spices, stirring well to cobine (I have found with turkey it works best to just get in there with your hands), add the cooled onion and apple mixture and mix well again.

Divide the mixture into 24 equal portions (divide it in half, then divide those in half, and those into three each). Shape each portioin into a 1/2-inch patty. I laid out parchment paper on the counter and made the patties and placed them on the paper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, coat with cooking spray and add as many patties as will fit, cook 3 minutes on the first side, turn over and cover (this keeps them a little moister). You can keep the finished ones warm in the oven with the potato pancakes (above) on a plate with a paper towel under them. repeat cooking with remaining patties.

Yields 8 servings, 3 patties per serving
per 3 patties - 155cal
2.5g fat
28.1g pro
3.4g cho
0.7g fiber
70mg cholesterol
1.5mg iron
349mg sodium
23mg calcium

They are pretty good - a littl edry, but that is hard to get around with the extra lean turkey. Still a nice adition to your breakfast choices!

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/22, 09:24 PM
Okay - you know how gross some lowcarb or no-carb dressings are, so I have been wary of trying any new ones, figuring they are all nasty. I took a chance 9needed some flavor in my diet) and bought some Walden farms products at the grocery store.

OMG! These are not nasty at all - so far I have tried the bleu cheese dressing and the french dressing and both are really tasty. Both are zero calorie (how do they do that?) and actually are made of ingredients I recognize...

I also bought their no-cal ketchup and no-cal pancake syrup, haven't tried 'em yet, but will keep you updated!

Another product you should look for is "Instant Gourmet" - it is in the spice section of the grocery store - I bought the garlic butter flavor - you can put it on anyting, it is kind of like butter buds, but really pretty good and adds no calories!

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/23, 08:43 AM
Can you get walden farms products at any grocery store???I went looking for barely oats at walmart last night ...but couldn't find it...they had soy flour,and rye flour,and wheat flour(I got the wheat flour,waste of money?)but no barely.here in Tx the only grocer's are HEB and walmart....THATS IT!!!!At least here where I am...in the boonies...should I expect to find this stuff in a regular grocer???
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/23, 09:11 PM
Barley flour would be in the health fod section or at a health food store, I don't know how widely the Walden Farms products are distributed, try looking online maybe?

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/10/24, 04:05 PM
OK, I might have a stupid question here. Is it ok to leave the skin on sweet potatoes or do they need to be peeled before eating? I leave it on my regular potatoes and eat it, but for some reason I'm not sure about this one :)

--------------
Continuous effort -- not strength or intelligence -- is the key to unlocking our potential. - Liane Cardes
~~~~~~~~~~
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person\'s determination. - Tommy Lasorda
~~~~~~~~~~
Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness. - Edward Stanley
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/10/24, 04:41 PM
Leave the skin on. It's healthier that way--extra fibre:)

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/24, 05:05 PM
I was suprised when I looked up potatoes on fit day...alot of carbs in the skin...I guess the fiber makes up for it...I've been meaning to look up red potatoes too.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/24, 07:05 PM
I don't eat the skin on my sweet potatoes when I bake, just personal preference. but I do leave the skin on and eat it when i make them into oven fries, go figure.

Kc - most of the nutrients are in or under the skin, leave it on and don't worry about the carbs, as long as it fits into your plan.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/25, 09:05 AM
Here is a new marinade for your chicken. I calculated the nutrient amount son fitday, but if you just bake them in the marinade and use a little bit of sauce on your rice, the calories are negligible (spelling?).

Baked Orange Chicken (family liked this)
1c orange juice
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1/3c sherry cooking wine
1 tsp ground ginger

Cal 189
1g fat
35g cho
7g pro
those numbers seem a bit off to me, the fat was from the mustard, which I don't think is right... anyhow - pour over chicken breasts in a 9X13 pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until done.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/25, 02:13 PM
hey - a quick and easy lunch idea:

BBQ turkey and beans

1 small onion, chopped
7 oz ground turkey breast
3/4c kidney beans
2 tbsp walden farms cal free spicy bbq sauce

spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray, heat over medium heat, add onion, stir and cook a minute, add turkey, breaking up as you stir it, turn heat down a little and add bbq sauce, cover and cook while you drain/measure beans, add beans, stir and cook until turkey is done all the way through. EAT! About 40g protein and 30g CHO, negligible (sp?) fat.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/30, 08:36 AM
Really easy chicken (and whole meal) recipe:

Preheat oven to 350, (place your potatoes in to bake before prepping the chicken )Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and place frozen, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in a single layer, squeeze the juice of one lime over the chicken, then sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Cover with foil and bake, 45 minutes, or until done. take out and let stand, loosely covered for 10 minutes. While the chicken stands, microwave your green veggies. Now take your potatoes out of the oven and your whole meal is done!

Oh - my favorite way to bake potatoes is to rub them with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with coarse salt, place them in a baking dish and bake for about one hour at 350.

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/31, 11:06 AM
I found this in my south beach book...I remember making them years ago and loving them so I was going to make some to freeze...granted I get Amy's approval...the recipe calls for cottage cheese which isn't in our permissable foods...but I'll give it a shot.

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese(or tofu)
4 egg whites
1tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Process all ingrediants in a blender until smooth.
Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray,add batter cook over medium heat until brown on both sides.
Top with sugar free syrup

This recipe makes one serving:
288 cal
28 g protien
32 g carb
4 g fat

What do you think Amy...is this doeable???If not...I figure someone else (like mutt)can always use it...it really is good!!!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/31, 06:56 PM
bodybuilder pancakes is what those are.. if you do have them, see how you feel. as long as it doesn't cause you any blaoting, dairy is fine. Make it lowfat. Don't use the tofu, though.

--------------

Napoleon Hill
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/01, 08:58 AM
ok...no tofu...check!!:)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/03, 08:13 AM
I made this last night - really tasty!

Cilantro Lime Dipped Shrimp
(The George Formen Lean Mean Fat Reducing Griiling Machine Cookbook)

2 tsp olive oil
1/4c lime juice
2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
16 jumbo uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined , tails removed (I used tail-on, frozen collossal shrimp)
4 8-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water and drained (I skipped the skewers and just threw the shrimp on the indoor grill)

Mix the oil, lime juice, cayenne, salt and pepper to make a marinade. Place the shrimp in the marinade, tossing to coat, and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Coat the grill with cooking spray and preheat 5 minutes. Arrange 4 shrimp on each skewer and grill widthwise (horizontally) for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 minutes.

4 servings per serving:
77 calories
5g fat
2g cho
5g pro
47mg cholesterol
345mg sodium

--------------

Napoleon Hill
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/05, 11:28 AM
Hey - here is a fall flavor twist on those protein pancakes..I need to perfect the recipe - I added too much water and they were more like crepes - still tasty.

Put 1/2c oats in the blender, 4 egg whites, 1/2c canned pumpkin (adds 9g carbs and some fiber), a good pinch of pumpkin pie spice, a spoonful or two of splenda, a dash of vanilla, and maybe 1/2c water (as I said, i added too much this first time), oh and 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (if desired). Blend it all until smooth and then cook in a hot non-stick pan, top with sf syrup - not quite pumpkin pie, but pretty nice!

--------------

Napoleon Hill
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/05, 01:25 PM
oh wow!!!!that sounds fabulous!!!

Tried the shrimp last night...very good!!!!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2006/11/06, 12:09 AM
Here are a couple of quickies that I made up on the fly.

This weekend I had a leftover chicken breast and needed to create one of my mini meals from that. I diced it up with a tomato, some avocado and an Italian herb blend and a little salt and pepper. It was really, really good, simple and healthy.

Tonight I sliced up a whole eggplant, a couple of yellow squash, diced onions, minced garlic and sauteed with 1 T. of EVO. I opened a can of tomatoes, dumped it in the pan, and let it all cook covered for about 5 or 10 minutes. More of the Italian herb blend and a little Spike. This made enough 'ratatouille' for about 4 servings. One was tonights dinner dumped over a can of tuna! I had no idea how that would go together, and it turned out pretty darn good.

I then grilled up two large chicken breasts, cut into three portions placing each in a Gladware container with a portion of the ratatouille. So, that takes care of three days worth of lunch.

I love coming up with ways to make plain old chicken breast and tuna not so plain!
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/06, 08:28 AM
That sounds good kathy!!When we were in Spain they put tuna in EVERYTHING...so I found out tuna really does go well with most anything...even beats and corn...with some olive oil..:)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/12, 01:23 PM
Yummy Yummy Yummy I've got this in my tummy:

Slice and saute one small onion in a little olive oil, add some garlic, minced, then add 3-4 oz extra lean ground beef, crumbling as it cooks, and cook until done. In a bowl heat 1/2c rice with 1/4c marinara sauce (I used Newman's, very tasty!), top with the cooked onion/meat mixture, mix up and enjoy!!

--------------

There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.
Kurt Hahn
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/12, 02:30 PM
These sound so good! I am going to make them soon - I will let you know how they turn out! Look for more great recipes at liftforlife.com

Meal Replacement Bars (Cutting)

Combine in Large Mixing Bowl

8 Scoops Whey (Vanilla is very good)
3 Cups Oats
1 Package Sugar Free Fat Free Pudding (Any flavor is good)
2 Cups Skim Milk

Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)

use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:
3g fat
28g carbs
29g protein
257 calories
These bars taste amazing, and are perfect for: breakfast, pre OR postworkout

--------------

There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.
Kurt Hahn
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/13, 10:18 AM
Amy - Just an FYI but I made the recipe above my post. I liked the taste but mine didn't set up completely. It tasted good enough that I'll do it again and double up on the pudding or cut back on the milk.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/13, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info, mike! I am going to make them today, I think!

--------------

Kurt Hahn
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/13, 02:51 PM
I made these today, doubled the recipe, and accidentally added the salsa to the meat mixture (just went right down the ingredients list, adding it all... I used 1/2c salsa and 1/2c salsa verde. It made 12 muffins and I think they are even better with the salsa mixed in - moister! Spicier!

Not Your Mother's Meatloaf - Laura Creavelle, M&F July 2004

15-16 oz extra lean ground turkey (I used purdue 99% fat-free)
3 tbsp yellow cornmeal
1/2c minced onion
1/4c egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2c mild or hot salsa (your pick!)
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 4 large muffin cups with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, mix together everything but the salsa. Mix well. Divide mixture into four equal amounts, place in prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 - 25 minutes, until done (thermometer should read 165).
Serve topped with 1 tbsp salsa.
Per mini-meatloaf:
170 calories
29g protein
9g carbs
4g fat
1g fiber

This recipe is very tasty, not as spicy as it sounds and is good over rice. Place the mini-loaves in seperate baggies with 1/2 to 1 cup rice and you have made 4 meals for the coming week.

--------------

Kurt Hahn
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/03, 01:07 PM
bump.....for me:)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/03, 07:58 PM
Hey - here is the salad I made yesterday..I didn't calculate the amounts, sorry, but it is all good fat and lean protein and vegetables, so go for it!

Wash and spin dry half a bunch of spinach,

place it on a microwavable plate, microwave 30 seconds, mix around a little and microwave another 30 seconds (until fairl warm and wilted.

Top it with:

1/4 of an avocado, chopped
scant 1/4 walnut halves
thinly sliced red onion - as much as you like
4 oz lean deli turkey (I got some that was sage and cranberry coated, really good)

Top all of that with a tablespoon of Walden farms cal-free/sugar-free/fat-free bacon dip...

Very tasty!

--------------

Until you value yourself you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
M. Scott Peck
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2007/01/23, 02:33 PM
I was looking all over for this thing.....
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/26, 05:40 PM
here is a bump for the WSSC Competitors:)
2007/02/27, 05:03 AM
YAY! IT IS NOW 2 AM WHERE I AM AT & THESE FOODS ARE MAKING MY MOUTH WATER! I AM STARVING!!!

Asimmer could you sticky this under our WSSC plans?

thanks

j2048b
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/27, 11:07 AM
i don't know ..i would have cut and paste it all...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/03/26, 10:15 AM
Here is a new bump for The 2008 WSSC competitors :big_smile: