Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Pec/Chest OUCHIE

workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/01/28, 07:47 AM
Ok - heres the stats: First dont say go see your dr...I lost my job in Sept. so at present..no insurance coverage (life sucks). Anyway, I've been really going at it in weight training and love working out my arms. Well yesterday, after doing two sets of dumbell flies (yipee Im now lifting 15 and then 20 pnders). Well, straddling the bench I decided to stretch out, so i twisted my bod to the back, only to pull something on my upper left "Pec" area. Sorta likee it hurts to turn in bed or twist to the far right sort of strain. (MAN this sucks too because I enjoy the work outs and now I feel this is a damper for the time being.) I finished working out my upper arms but stopped the dumb bell flies because I knew....I would drop the weight from the new pain I was experiencing. So, is there anything I should do, shouldnt do? I do have a moisture type heat pack. Just not sure if I should do cold therapy or hot or both. Just want to hear like...now! So far, ibuprofin doenst do anything. Thanks for any suggestions.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/28, 10:27 AM
Cold therapy and rest....... That's the very best thing to do.

Now you just have to wait and see if it'll get any better.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/28, 10:55 AM
Here's a tip for you: use cold paks when something is swollen. Cold paks keep the swelling down by decreasing the blood flow in the injured area. Use hot paks when you need the muscle to relax.

Anyway, sounds like you pulled the muscle. You may want to rest it and not work that area for a while. On your main menu, go to ft Exercise Resources, then Guide To Injuries, then R.I.C.E. Therapy.

But if the pain persists after a few days, you may not have a choice but to see a doc.

sanddevil
sanddevil
United States
2002/01/28, 11:47 PM
Ok I won't say the D word of course it is hard not to. I would use a Ice pack just like what the other two have said get plenty of rest most likely you (strained) a muscle or pulled there a three degrees of a strain and heres the good news from what you have said you don't have a level 3 strain if you did it would be completely torn so theres your good news heres the bad a pulled muscle is a pain and it takes time to heal so NO upperbody work until the pain is gone. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/29, 07:10 AM
Ice 15 min every hour if you can. OUCH!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/01/29, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just a bummer because I don't want to move backwards with my progress. It feels somewhat better today (didnt work out yesterday). I think I'll lay off of the dumbell flies, curls until I don't feel any of the strain. Geesh, I love what lifting has done to my arms. I like the bicep definition I've achieved of all the hours I've put in. Now I have a workout partner and that is even better! Someday, it would be SO COOL to somehow manage a meeting point with people via this system. We all have common ground here! No one will prob read this...but its been a great community of people!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/29, 10:28 AM
Hope you feel better workingoutgirl...it's never pleasant to nurse an injury, especially during training. Good luck and don't hesitate to keep us updated on your progress!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/01/29, 09:18 PM
Shall do esp since Im on my own on this (no insurance!)
Just feels like its now under my arm...sorta the same as a knot under there but there isnt. Such a bummer when I was doing so well for so long! One little stretch move and boom! So Im going to try doing some high reps with low weights just to getting some form. Maybe its a good break because my arms, I swear are getting big. I didn't think women got big arms. Mine were meaty to begin with (even thou I keep my weight at range)- so oh well, I enjoy getting the definition, just will have to put up with arms growing in the process. :o). P.S. Rpacheco - sounds like you are doing great with the program you are on!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/29, 10:28 PM
WO Girl......Do you think that this has something to do with the fact that recently your arms fell off ...i mean maybe you got them back on wrong at the Emergency room??
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/29, 10:29 PM
Ohhhh soory that was Aroles who's arms fell off my mistake!!!!!!!!!!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/01/30, 07:45 AM
His arms fell off? Hmmmm! Nope definitely not me. I just made the stupid mistake of doing the wrong stretch, evidentally after dumbell curls. Im just going to be good for a few days since I did some things last night and it went from feeling normal to feeling sore! So I definitely need to try out the rice or whatever that abbre. was!
Hope all is going well for you ltroisi!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/01/31, 07:20 PM
I found that when I overworked/stretched my hamstrings, I got some advice to soak in a hot tub with epson salt. It made my legs a whole lot better. I could walk and later that day we had a three mile run with my unit and it didn't hurt at all except for when I tried to stretch a little too far. But it worked for me, maybe it will help you. Give it a try and let us know if it worked.