Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

pain in wrist from weightlifting

ageis
ageis
United States
2002/11/11, 08:41 PM
Ive been having pain in my right wrist. When I flex it, it seems a little tight. I don't know why I don't have any problems with my left wrist, just my right. I really feel the pain when I do heavy sets of preacher curls and bench presses. I have been stretching my wrist but it still doesn't seem to help. Any advice would be great, thanks. Alos, I've been using gloves with wrist straps to help with the power lifting.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/11/11, 10:21 PM
You may want to incorporate some wrist curls into your workout a couple days per week. No heavy weight is needed here, just simply to strengthen the muscle. I used to have this same problem, and have not for years now. Hope this helps.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/11/12, 11:20 AM
I see that you use straps? When, for how many sets, with what weight? I ask this cause just as BB1 said you might need to add some strenght to your wrists, straps can cause pain and problems if used wrongly. You really should not use them except for the last set. This is because you loose grip strength while using them and one way to increase your grip is to not use straps or sparingly. The other thing is have someone that knows what they are doign look at the way you do those exercises. They width of your grip and the way you grip might be the problem. Hope this has helped!

--------------
IF THE SWEAT AIN'T IN YOUR EYES, AND IT AIN'T STINGING, THEN YOU AIN'T LIFTIN!
vicky_p
vicky_p
India
2002/12/13, 07:31 AM
I have the same problem,i.e while doing the wrist curls and upright rows.I do the wrist curls with 10-15 kgs,reps of about 10.For upright rows i go for 7.5 kgs on each side,reps of 8 & 10.I took a break of about a week from wrist curls & upright rows,i had no pain in that period. when i started it again after a week,the pain started again.
Any Advice?
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2002/12/13, 10:06 AM
I think it is common for people to experience pain while doing upright rows. If you aren't using a curl bar, I would recommend trying it. The shape allows you to put your wrists in a more comfortable position. I fractured the end of my radius where it meets the wrist last year. I found that strenthening my forearms, like bb1 suggested has been very beneficial. As for bench presses, as mentioned in the original post above, I have found that manipulating the position of my thumb dramatically changes the pressure on my wrists. Specifically for me, sticking my thumbs out to the side against the bar (hope you understand what I mean) works the best. Hope this helps some.
vicky_p
vicky_p
India
2002/12/15, 05:13 AM
Thanks.
ageis
ageis
United States
2002/12/20, 09:49 PM
My wrist problem is finally going away. The simplest thing that I did to change that was to brush my teeth everyday with my opposite hand. Someone told me that brushing is the best exercise for the wrist and for the past week, my wrist problem has diminished. Hope this works for anyone else.