Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

NEED ADVICE! Help guys.

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/05/24, 07:40 AM
The best thing is to keep eating, second you might want to try fish oil....it can help retain muscle mass....

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
vikings1
vikings1
Canada
2007/05/24, 02:03 AM
Hi, this is more of a supplement question but before i get yelled at for not putting it in the supplement forum i wanted the best advice from people like asimmer, bb1fit, menace, and a few of you others that may know what your talking about. I figured this would have a better chance reaching you in this forum than a supplement forum seeing as how i would like to think i am quite knowledgable when it comes to lifting and dieting however there is always more to learn. ANYWAYS! to get to my question.
First off. Im 22. 185lbs 5"10. I put on about 12 lbs over a 4 month period and now im happy with my gains and ive been "cutting" some of that weight and looking to burn fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. SO FAR SO GOOD! anyways, im no longer in school now im working a summer job. Its a labour job. Im on my feet a lot and I tend to do a lot of lifting but small lifting(only about 20-40lb objects). Anyways, im lifting in the morning before work. Im trying to eat really well all day... lots of protein - cutting a bit of carbs however id like to think im burning quite a few calories so im not going overboard on shutting out too many carbs, and im continuing to eat healthy fats- alamonds, olive oil etc. Anyways, I imagine it will be hard to gain muscle having stress on my joints all day! I have the money to spend at the moment and I was wondering if theres a supplement out there that would help me maintain as much muscle as possible with all this exercise i seem to be doing. Im considering taking creatine and glutamine on top of the 2-3 protein shakes im taking per day. Anyways any suggestions would be great help. Sorry this was so long! Im hoping to hear back from you all soon! thanks
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 11:37 AM
Glutamine will help with recovery and retention. you might also want to try ZMA - it helps you recover at night and boosts your immune system.

You could also add in BCAA's - take a few before your workout, a few after, and then again before and after work. This will help you to retain mass.

I think you should go to a calorie/activity caloric expenditure site and add up your daily expenditure, that way you have a realistic idea of how much food you need to have just a slight deficit, instead of a really big deficit, since youa re training and your job is physical. you may be able to have more carbs than you think and still cut fat, sometimes not getting enough carbs or calroies will slow your fat loss.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle