Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

My 6-pack

fossil8412
fossil8412
United States
2004/01/07, 05:51 PM
Hey guys. I am trying to get a six pack, yea something new and different right.... Ok, well I've tried sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, etc. and all of them put more strain on other parts of my body than my abs. And I dont think its because of me not doing enough, because I can do 100 sit ups and my abs not hurt, and im not in that great of shape. So, I was wondering if any of you knew of some more hardcore workout methods that will really make my abs burn?
fossil8412
fossil8412
United States
2004/01/07, 05:55 PM
Oh and by the way, i've heard lots about "its all about the DIET"....so what type of diet do u guys reccomend for a 15 year old male?? Because I can't really count up my calories like you guys do...I just dont have the time or selection of foods at school
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/07, 05:59 PM
Also, you should try doing ab exercises with added weight. I did a hundred sit-ups 2 days ago and they did not bother me. Yesterday, I did 30 for warm-up. I then grabbed a 25lb weight and did 4X10. I had to take today off. Probably tomorrow, too.

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
fossil8412
fossil8412
United States
2004/01/07, 09:43 PM
Ok well how do I add extra weight...Do I need to buy a weight strap to strap around my chest or something?? Or do I hold the weight while I do sit ups??
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/07, 10:10 PM
I grasp the weight with both hands above my bell. Not laying on it. Come up as usual, being careful not to hit your knees or your head with the weight.

You can also do crunches with a weight. Place the weight where you would normally cross our arms over your chest and proceed with the exercise.

Also, check out the fitness resources at the top of the page for more ideas.

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
riot
riot
United States
2004/01/08, 03:26 PM
The diet part is REALLY easy. All you have to do is cut your portions in half. Most people eat 2 times even 3 times more than there supposed to. Also intake healthy foods. Ive been doing it for a week and ive noticed a difference
2004/01/08, 03:50 PM
Riot, its really more a matter of quality than quality.

--------------
Living well is the best revenge.

Charlie
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/08, 04:03 PM
Charlie and riot are both correct.

--------------

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
fossil8412
fossil8412
United States
2004/01/08, 04:41 PM
Ok thanks you guys...Can't wait to get that six pack, b/c right now I would call my stomach a keg...
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/17, 01:01 AM
"Riot, its really more a matter of quality than quality."

wait, quality than quantity or quantity than quality?
i don't meant to sound rude or anything... it's just that i got confused... your post says quality than quality o_O
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/01/27, 03:08 PM
ok, first lose the weight. then, and only then...
if you want a hardcore ab workout, heres the best excercise ive ever found

alright, to do this, youll need a place where you can lie down on your back but get a good stretch. what i mean is that your abs should be above your knees and shoulders enough that you can feel a tight stretch, almost like a back bridge/arch, but with your back resting on something. you could use one of those excercise balls, but i dunt really like them cuz they are elastic and help you up too much. i recomend something that is firm. you can use a weight bench turned sideways (perpendicular to you) as long as you can tuck your feet underneath it and make sure they are not going to move, thats one of the ways i do them, another is off the edge of a couch. while in this position, your shoulders and head should be hanging off the ground. lie back until you feel a real good stretch, and then do a sit up into a sitting position, lower yourself back down, and then do it again. Do three sets of 10-15, but no more on your first day. i say this because you wont feel it immediately, but you will feel it for the next 5 days. give yourself this long to recover, you'll need it. I guarantee you will be in pain the next morning. but, all the pain will be worth it. its a great feeling to feel the burn, but a much better feeling when you take off your shirt and catch a group of girls looking right at your stomach. i love this feeling. you will to. let me know how you like this excercise, and anyone else that tries it, tell me what you think.

--------------
\"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves.\"

\'Isn\'t that lifestyle boring?\'

\"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny.\"
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
Chatam2
Chatam2
United States
2004/02/28, 08:39 PM
omg, thqt is the best ab excercise I've ever done. I did more than I should have because I didnt feel anything, and then when I woke up in the morning, I COULDNT EVEN GET OUT OF BED! my abs burned so much, omg. and they've continued to burn for the past 4, yes, 4 days. Ive never stayed sore for that long. At first i thought i pulled something, but the soreness is finally going away. As soon as I can do a regular crunch, I'm going to do some more of those.

IT BURNED SOOOO MUCH!!!!
Thanx
TOGA62
TOGA62
United States
2004/02/28, 09:05 PM
I dont know why but I'm finding his explanation a bit confusing. So if I was to use my bench at home. should I keep my butt off the bench that way when I come up im in a sort of squating position? And I should keep my shoulders and head hanging off the other side. right? If either of you could explain a bit more since I'm suddenly retarded lol.

I'm still going to go try what I think I should do.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/29, 02:01 PM
sorry bout that. instead of trying to explain, heres another exercise that is just as effective. and i wont bother trying to explain this one. maybe after you do this one you will understand the first one, they're based on the same principal of getting a stretch in your abs while you excercise them.

here's the link to the explanation (it has pictures, so it should be easier to understand)
thery're called small ball crunches.

http://www.fitstep.com/Bestexercises/samples/small-ball-crunches.htm

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

'Isnt that lifestyle boring?'

"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny."
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/29, 02:02 PM
hope that helps toga
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/02/29, 03:40 PM
You can do all these exercises 'til the cows come home...diet(healthy eating with a caloric deficit) will show those abs...of course along with exercise. Also, you got to hit those abs from every angle(obliques, lower, and upper). There is NOT just one exercise.

--------------
May the lift be with you.
TOGA62
TOGA62
United States
2004/02/29, 08:06 PM
ok i see now. I was doing it pretty much like that. did 4 sets of 20. I could feel stuff working while I did it. but I don't feel anything today. :surprised: must of done them wrong.

jdelt. I usually do one excercise for each of those three areas. And do it everyday. Lately I have started every other day because I'm afriad I might be over working them and thats why they are not showing up all the way. I just need to improve my diet. I eat way to much junk food. Its hard not to with school and so on. So as of yesterday, I am trying to eat healthier foods. Well what I think is healthier lol. hope it helps. :(
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/03/01, 01:21 AM
There you go...you'll never see the six-pack eating junk food unless you are genetic freak. Nobody ever said it was easy, welcome to training my friend. You gotta make the sacrifices if you really want to see results. Hell man, I went to school non-stop until I was 25 but I made the time. Thats what you gotta do bro.:dumbbell: Good luck now shut up and grow.:angry:

--------------
May the lift be with you.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/03/01, 11:40 AM
gotta drop body fat....for most people its gonna be around 8 to 10 % depending on your size and intercellar fat.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

TOGA62
TOGA62
United States
2004/03/01, 07:45 PM
lol. yeah I asked a friend of mine in the weight room today what he eats. He was like "6 egg whites, a bowl of oatmeal, a banana. Then for lunch he has three sandwiches an apple a gatorade (some other healty stuff I can't remember) and when he gets home he just starts eatting stuff. Not junk food of course. I'm glad I got an opinion from him. Since he is probably the most in shape guy I know. I think I might do a toned down version of his since I know I won't be able to give up all good junk food forever like he does. :)

============
Quoting from jdelts:

There you go...you'll never see the six-pack eating junk food unless you are genetic freak. Nobody ever said it was easy, welcome to training my friend. You gotta make the sacrifices if you really want to see results. Hell man, I went to school non-stop until I was 25 but I made the time. Thats what you gotta do bro.:dumbbell: Good luck now shut up and grow.:angry:

=============
ZALVATOR
ZALVATOR
United States
2007/01/09, 07:33 PM
im 17 at 150 lb.s and im 5"8'. I bench press and lift waights everyday. I also do crunches, sit-ups and lovehandle exer. I also do others but do bot know there titles. I do this everyday for about 1hour to 30 min. My diet is only 2 meals a day. oats for breakfeast and a small serving for what ever my family makes for dinner. Now i dont have a lunch in school so i only have time for 2 meals a day. SO can any body tell me what to do and how long untill i can get to this goal?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2007/01/10, 08:57 AM
I suggest you browse the thumb tacked posts in the nutrition forum. You can exercise till the cows come home and it won't make a lot of difference till your diet is improved.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/10, 11:29 AM
Man, I have been trying to pound this into folks' heads. It does not matter what you do in the gym, it does and has very little fat burning involved. It matters what you do 'between' these exercise bouts that determine how much fat you lose. Just as you don't gain muscle during exercise, your bodies choice of substrates used during a 'fat burning' protocol is not up to you!

To wit the study that showed how much more effective interval training was at burning fat than conventional cardio...

A group of 27 men and women started the study. They were assigned to one of two groups. The first group completed a 20-week aerobic exercise program, consisting of 30-45 minutes of cycling 4-5 times per week. Exercise intensity varied between 60-85% of maximal heart rate reserve.

The second group followed an interval training program lasting 15 weeks. This involved 25 30-minute sessions of cycling at 70% of maximal heart rate reserve. They also performed 35 interval training sessions.

It might surprise you to learn that neither group lost a significant amount of weight. The aerobic exercise group lost one pound, while the interval training group lost an average of just 100 grams.

These findings are consistent with previous research showing that exercise alone doesn't have a big impact on weight loss. You have to eat right too.

The researchers also used skinfold calipers to measure the loss of subcutaneous fat (the fat stored directly under your skin). The aerobic exercise group lost 4.5 millimeters of fat. The interval training group, on the other hand, lost 13.9 millimeters.

Using these figures, the interval training program was about three times better than the conventional aerobic exercise program.(and this is not much).

So, where did the "nine times more effective" claim come from?

The figure is based on a calculation where changes in subcutaneous fat were corrected for the total energy cost of the training. This was done by expressing changes in subcutaneous fat per megajoule of energy expended in each program.

In other words, it isn't an accurate reflection of what really happened in the study.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/10, 04:15 PM
Reference? Seems like a poorly designed study at best... Different program durations, frequency. Even different measurements (grams and lbs, standard and SI). Why would an interval session have an observed heart rate?

Study doesn't just sound bad in how they interpretted their results, but all around.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
uncreativename
uncreativename
United States
2007/01/19, 09:33 PM
I would recommend swimming, more cardio, and splitting up meals. Eat at least 5 or 6 meals a day but eat less each meal to speed up your metabolism. You have to have a certain body fat percentage in order to have a six pack. I know a lot of people keep mentioning the body fat but it's crucial for a defined midsection.

Just follow the specialized ab and toning programs and dieting info on this site, you can't go wrong.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/01/19, 10:07 PM
IMO a 6 pack on a everyday basis is for the GIFTED GENETIC FREAKS and for the rest of us it's real real hard work to achieve and once said by BB1FIT now once you have achieved this 6 pack with extreme hard work and real restrictive diet what are you going to do now because to maintain it is going to be even harder then achieving it!

The 6 pack IMO isn't for everyone or everyone would have it and also in both gyms I go to most don't have a 6 pack although there are allot of muscled-up guy in these gym with LOW Body fat % the still aren't walking around with a six pack.

Most of us with a decent bf% have the abs outlined and from a side view look good but looking dead straight on you see the outline of the outter part of the abs but not the packs.

I'm 38 years old and only have known a handfull of guys that had 6 pack abs day in and day out no matter what they eat and how much beer they have the rest of us arn't so lucky.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
chrisy-93
chrisy-93
United Kingdom
2007/08/12, 06:50 PM
okay im 14 and train quite hard i go to the gym for an hour n half 5 times a week, mostly cardio just to stay fit. i didnt really think about wanting to burn fat doing it.( just wanted to keep fit over summer) but then one of the gym trainers said i should get into the weights more , to get ripped. i wasnt sure if he was joking or not by it got me thinking etc. is it even possible for me to get big abs?