Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Muscle/Fat question??

DaWorldIsYours
DaWorldIsYours
United States
2007/01/20, 05:02 PM
Hi, I have a question. I have recently started to try and build up muscle and lose my fat, but I was wondering how much muscle you lose when you are trying to lose weight. Does it depend on how you work out(cardio or strength training?) I have muscle underneath but I want to get rid of the fat without losing too much muscle. So can anyone answer how much muscle you lose compared to body fat?

I weigh 260 pounds and I am overweight and trying to lose this weight.:)
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/01/22, 04:49 PM
If you make sure to eat very well and continue to lift heavy you should be able to maintain the bulk of your muscle. I've also heard that fish oil aids in maintaining muscle while losing fat.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/01/22, 11:48 PM
also you are just a sophomore in high school, focus on weight loss first then bulk up if you are doing lifting as part of your routine to lose weight you should maintain muscle mass, but at your age i would reccomend to lose the fat first you are still in your prime to produce muscle and build the body you are happy with
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/01/23, 11:52 AM
Quicker you try to drop the weight, more of it will be lean tissue.

Keep your calories up enough to keep muscle, but low enough to loose weight. Keep training heavy as your energy will allow, add a little cardio...eat alot of protein.

Aim for about 2lbs or so a week.

Get a bodyfat analysis done...this may help

welcome to the sight

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/26, 08:14 PM
Normally, the leaner you are, the more chance of muscle loss. Hormones start to play havoc at a certain leaness...so basically without going into detail figure testosterone as a steady decline. Lower test, easier muscle loss, and forget any type of gain. Most have their best results around the 12-15% mark in bodyfat.

============
Quoting from DaWorldIsYours:

Hi, I have a question. I have recently started to try and build up muscle and lose my fat, but I was wondering how much muscle you lose when you are trying to lose weight. Does it depend on how you work out(cardio or strength training?) I have muscle underneath but I want to get rid of the fat without losing too much muscle. So can anyone answer how much muscle you lose compared to body fat?

I weigh 260 pounds and I am overweight and trying to lose this weight.:)
=============

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."