Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Muscle up

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/02, 11:34 AM
At about 100% intensity, I can do a pull up with 40lb extra with a fairly wide grip. At around 140-145lbs bodyweight, how much more will my strength have to increase (approximately) before I can pull one off?
On top of that, has anyone come across those bars that stretch so wide that they have to angle down so that it's even possible to grip them? I can't even pull off a single pull up with that grip...I wouldn've thought they'd be no problem considering the weight I'm adding to normal ones.
2007/11/02, 12:11 PM
Maybe I am misreading this - but you say you can do a pull up with body weight +40lbs. Then you ask how much more will your strength have to increase before you can pull one off. You just said you can do one with bdy+45lbs. Did you mean before you can do a one handed pull up?

--------------
There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. We all have a choice. You can decide which type of person you want to be. I have always chosen to be in the first group.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/11/02, 12:22 PM
He means how much more weight does he need to add to his pull-up in order to do a muscle-up. I have no idea. I think that you can probably do one now, but it is a matter of technique.
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/02, 12:27 PM
I know that I'm not far off. I can get to the point where my elbows start to stick out, but then I just get stuck.
2007/11/02, 01:28 PM
I guess I should pay more attention to the subject line.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/02, 02:32 PM
Yea, technique comes into play. We used to do them in high school and I could do sets of 10, even though I never did weighted pull ups. Now I can do a weighted pull up with a 100lb plate, but probably couldn't do a muscle up, only because I haven't practiced.

Also, they'll be easier on rings than a bar.

I'd rather just superset dips and chin ups. Yes, I know the whole "but if I could only do one exercise for upper body"... and I agree with it... but... I can do more than one exercise for upper body.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/11/02, 03:40 PM
in regards to the long bars that angle at the sides making for a real wide grip pullup. they are ok, very hard to do at my weight, but i would assume you could grow a vtaper faster being that wide and with weight...
2007/11/02, 10:23 PM
I have maxed at 8 while able to do pull up with about 100...

It's about acceleration/explosiveness...a lot of it is technique...the faster u can accelerate yourself during a pull up the easier the 'transition' becomes. In fact doing muscle ups slowly is infinitely harder. I also found that I cant do a single muscle up on rings...ie MUs being much easier for me on a straight bar.

Also press outs over the bar help quite a bit once u get over the bar.
2007/11/02, 10:26 PM
I would try doing...sets of low rep explosive pull ups ...touching bar to the chest...and jumping up and grabbing yourself over the bar(upper 1/2 of MU) and doing the press outs...
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/03, 01:36 AM
I like that idea. If I weighted the press outs, could I superset them with bench or db press?
2007/11/03, 10:57 AM
Well if you can get a bar low enough and/or a way to get up with the extra weight then yes. But I would do them on their own.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/03, 11:21 AM
could we have possibly found use for the smith machine?

============
Quoting from menace3000:

Well if you can get a bar low enough and/or a way to get up with the extra weight then yes. But I would do them on their own.

=============

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2007/11/03, 11:40 AM
no...i refuse.....*hangs his towel on it*
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/11/04, 02:05 PM
C'mon guys, the smith machine has its place. After I've done 53 sets of preacher curls or leg extensions, it's pretty hard to keep that bar steady by myself :big_smile:
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/04, 03:43 PM
It's good for tension release movements.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/04, 07:13 PM
If by tension release you mean explosive bench, etc. then I disagree.

Why would I want to practice the wrong motion explosively?

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/05, 09:15 AM
So you don't think throws are effective at all?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2007/11/05, 02:54 PM
Things I have used smith machine for fairly effectively:

-pull ups
-bw horizontal rows
-upside down crunches using gravity boots

I think muscle ups maybe a little hard to do on it due to lack of room...however it maybe something i'll try...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/05, 08:17 PM
============
Quoting from arondaballer:

So you don't think throws are effective at all?

=============

It's not that, I just don't think they are nearly as effective as other options. Everyone always talks about how they are a "good use" of the smith machine, but how often do you actually here about a good program that incorporates these? You really think there is carryover?

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/06, 01:10 PM
I don't really care if it isn't widely used. You don't hear a whole lot about jump squats (think tension release)

And carryover to what? The bench press? Well, maybe just an athlete trying to increase their upper body power output for performance reasons. I know the bar travels in a straight path and it isn't the exact bench motion, but would throws not have a chance of neurological enhancement/upper body power?

I don't really know, and have personally not done bench press throws, I'm just throwin out there what comes to my mind.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/06, 08:03 PM
Actually I see lots of programs with the jump squat utilized.

Yes, to the bench press. And for getting stronger.

Since single plane of motion obviously has no carryover to anything else in life. You're teaching yourself to be fast in a movement that would never be practical in real life (and I'm not just refering to straight up and down). Your press isn't going to be straight up and down, it's going to be slightly against the support, and you will rely on this support, especially when working at higher velocities.

And again and hopefully for the last time, I didn't say there isn't a chance of development. But I did say that there are many more effective means.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/01/10, 10:17 PM
Does anyone practice muscle-ups/pull-ups gripping a ledge? The friction of your body against the wall would certainly add resistance, and the functional use of a muscle up would likely be for climbing walls, so the carry over into real life would be pretty effective. The only problem I figure is that speed work would result in some nasty chafing.

What do you guys think?
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/01/11, 11:42 AM
i think it woudl be something i would like to try to improve.

i was kidding around with my training partners yesterday about how i dont think i would survive if i was hanging off a cliff by only my fingertips. it made matters worse if someone was stomping on my fingers (like in movies and stuff). they claim that adrenaline would make you a lot better than you think... but who knows.
traderhines
traderhines
United States
2008/11/10, 03:35 PM
I do muscle ups on the smith machine and it is fairly easy. The key to a muscle up like an earlier poster said is explosiveness. Once you got that down then you can do them virtually anywhere. I usually do the 5 reps and do 40 dips at the top. Give my whole body and chest a good workout.