Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

muscle milk...

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 of 3 pages resultset_next resultset_last
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/22, 01:09 AM
Yes....

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2005/02/23, 11:42 AM
I'm attempting to give up Starbucks coffee-based drinks, so I picked up some Mocha Joe at GNC yesterday. It smells great, and I'll have some before the workout today. My only gripe is GNC's prices stink! It was $31 for the 2lb tub. I'm going to get some more from vitaglo.com if I like this.

--------------
I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/24, 01:08 PM
I just found some bad info about muscle milk how it is basically dog food, and that it's really not all that good, here's the link

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=food&Number=679845&Searchpage=1&Main=679826&Words=%26quot%3Bmuscle+milk%26quot%3B+Joe+Yu+King&topic=&Search=true#Post679845

Anybody know any truth to this, if this is true i'm done with this stuff i had an inkling that it was too good to be true
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/24, 01:29 PM
I'm going to try ON's 100% Casein protein or their Anabolic milk, has anyone had the 100% Casein Protein one?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/24, 01:53 PM
i'm skeptical about that info, justin. the guy who posted it didn't mention any sources and it sounds pretty farfetched to me. and even if it did used to be dog food, it works well and tastes great, so what's the problem?

--------------
if you get me started on quentin tarantino films, chances are you won't be able to shut me up.

excuses are really good for making you fat.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
panther11jb
panther11jb
United States
2005/02/24, 03:07 PM
I have been taking muscle milk b4 bed for 2 weeks, it tastes great, mixes well, all that, but I just can't tell if its doing anything for me or not. What kinds of affects has it had on people that have taken it? I wanna know if this stuff is workin.
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/24, 04:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing howdie its just that i need a new tub of protein and am unsure on what to do, i want to try the strawberry and creme burlee(what is creme burlee by the way?) so i'm gonna see if i can do any more digging around
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/24, 07:17 PM
I hesitated posting this for a long time...for obvious reasons. I would not read too much into it. I have had my differences with the poster, he is unforgiving in any views. Though very smart guy, has no give to anything but his way, etc. I gurantee you if bodybuilders found that Alpo worked for them, they would be eating it! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from JustinE22:

I just found some bad info about muscle milk how it is basically dog food, and that it's really not all that good, here's the link

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=food&Number=679845&Searchpage=1&Main=679826&Words=%26quot%3Bmuscle+milk%26quot%3B+Joe+Yu+King&topic=&Search=true#Post679845

Anybody know any truth to this, if this is true i'm done with this stuff i had an inkling that it was too good to be true
=============

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/24, 07:19 PM
By the way, that post has been around for well over a year I believe.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/24, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the inside info Ron. I will choose to stick the the muscle milk, it's just so damn good:big_smile: by the way howdie have you had the creme burlee or the strawberry, i can't decide what to go for next.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/24, 07:26 PM
i also noted that when he was responding to someone talking about how good the stuff tasted, he let them know it was because it was loaded with fat and sugar. too bad there is only 1g of sugar per serving and he forgot to mention that 80% of the saturated fats are mcts and are used immediately for energy...

--------------
if you get me started on quentin tarantino films, chances are you won't be able to shut me up.

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2005/02/24, 07:46 PM
That post makes no sense. I’ve never been a huge fan of Muscle Milk, but to comparing it to dog food, especially with some of the other crap that’s on the market, is ludicrous. Besides the fact that Cytosport has been around for about 15 years, there is no way that this product could have been used as a supplement for large breed dogs, if the only thing they changed was adding sugar (only 6g, according to the label):

1.Cytosport uses a blended protein source, with some of it based in milk. Dogs are lactose intolerant; there is no way they could consume this.

2.Large breed dogs tend to have more kidney problems than any other. Putting them on a high level of protein, as well as extra creatine, is just asking for trouble.

3. Canines have different vitamins and minerals needs than humans. How could this profile be applied to dogs and humans equally?

I think you can see why it’s obvious why this guy pulled his info from his, um, ear!

--------------
Michael

Nothing personal.... Strictly business.
WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2005/02/25, 10:21 AM

============
Quoting from JustinE22:

...and creme burlee(what is creme burlee by the way?) =============

It's a dessert. The words are French for "burnt cream" I believe (my French stinks). It's a custard dessert with a sugar glaze on top that is burned. You crack the glaze when you eat it and mix it with the custard. It's quite tasty.

--------------
I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/25, 05:32 PM
justin the first time i bought muscle milk i was warned to stay away from the strawberry. apparently it tastes like butt. i'm still trying to find creme brulee that i don't have to order, but if it tastes anything like real creme brulee i'm sure it's to die for.

oh, and still no word from cytosport. i'll call them again monday.

============
Quoting from JustinE22:

Thanks for the inside info Ron. I will choose to stick the the muscle milk, it's just so damn good:big_smile: by the way howdie have you had the creme burlee or the strawberry, i can't decide what to go for next.
=============

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/25, 06:53 PM
I'm getting the creme burlee today i'll let ya know how it is tonight,have you tried the vitamin shoppe down the road from you thats where i'm getting it maybe they have it there.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/25, 07:17 PM
i haven't made it over there yet, but if you like how it tastes i'll go tomorrow and see if i can get some. i need more mocha joe anyway.

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/25, 10:38 PM
Ok what exactly does it mean when whey "denatures" I've heard differing opinions that it still has the same amount of protein but not the vitamins and other stuff whatever that means and that it's ok to throw some protein into a bowl of oatmeal after it's been heated just as long as you don't heat the oatmeal with the protein in it. On another note do protein powders go bad after opened?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/25, 11:00 PM
The function of a particular protein is actually determined by its overall shape, or conformation. The unique shape of the different proteins are determined by the folding and twisting of the polypeptide chains. If the shape of a protein is altered, possible by changing the temperature or pH of the environment, the protein loses its function and the protein is said to be denatured.

Many reactions need a certain amount of heat in order for the chemical reactions to take place. As more heat is added, the faster a reaction will take place. The problem is as more heat is added, the higher the chance of denaturing proteins and killing cells.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/26, 06:09 PM
For a simpler explanation, from Websters... :)

To cause the tertiary structure of (a protein) to unfold, as with heat, alkali, or acid, so that some of its original properties, especially its biological activity, are diminished or eliminated.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/26, 07:12 PM
Well I got the creme burlee last night and i'd never had creme burlee before so i don't know what it's supposed to taste but it's very hard to describe other than it's creme burlee. All in all it's pretty darn good but cookies 'n cream is still the best. By the way does protein powder go bad?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/26, 07:25 PM
good to know you like the taste — i bought some today at vitamin shoppe :)

protein powder should have an expiration date on it, but it's usually quite a while from when you buy it. as long as you keep it away from extreme heat there shouldn't be a problem. do you have some powder you think has gone bad?

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/26, 09:50 PM
No but i still have about another tub of muscle milk but it says best before 06/05 not sure if thats after opening or before. But i do have some other protein that i bought that is probably bad even tho it's kept in a dark cool dry place, didn't like the tatse so i never really used it.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/26, 11:11 PM
i wish you could ebay the stuff that tastes like crap. surely someone in the world thinks it's good...

if i were you i'd start drinking that 06/05 muscle milk before may, that way you have enough time to finish it and it won't go to waste. i don't think the "best before" date takes into account whether the supplement has been opened.

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/27, 12:29 AM
You know that sucks because the creme burlee i bought the other day says best before 04/05 so the creme burlee is 2 months older than the other stuff.:(
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/27, 12:34 AM
geez, that does suck. i guess the figure that since there aren't that many servings in a container people will go through it fast and not run into the expiration problem. i will put that on my list of things to ask cytosport when i call them monday. hopefully they're there this time...

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/27, 12:39 AM
yeah i know but it's got a lot of calories per serving so i only use 1 scoop in the morning and 1 at night, i'll just have to alternate. I hope they're not dodging your calls on purpose good to see your still on top of it
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/27, 12:56 AM
yeah i only use 1 scoop at a time too, usually post-cardio or pre-lifting. now that i have the creme brulee i might start drinking it before bed since it doesn't have caffine like mocha joe.

i don't think they're dodging my calls, i just have really screwy hours and i think i'm asleep when they're in the office. i have monday off though so we'll see.

--------------

ahfrost
ahfrost
United States
2005/02/27, 06:33 PM
Is muscle milk recommended for someone who is just starting to work out like myself? And what is the benefit to taking it before bed?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/27, 08:33 PM
for someone who is just starting to work out, i wouldn't recommend adding any supplements to your diet except whey protein for post-workout. as you progress and your gains start to slow, then you can start adding things like muscle milk. right now just focus on getting your diet in order and training properly.

the benefit of taking it before bed is to make your sleep less catabolic.

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/02/27, 09:32 PM
Howdie are you taking any protein shakes in the morning or before bed now?
ahfrost
ahfrost
United States
2005/02/27, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info. The reason I'm concerned is I was given a whole container of muscle milk from a friend, but wanted to make sure it's right for me at this stage of my fitness level. The whey protein that is recommended on the FT website is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein. Do you second that? Do you know how the taste is?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/27, 09:42 PM
kind of...i do whey in my oatmeal in the morning and a scoop of muscle milk before i work out 2 hours later. before bed i've been eating those protein bars you posted, but i'm going to start drinking muscle milk since i have enough room in my diet to include something that high-cal.

p.s. i checked the expiration on my muscle milk and both containers expire in 2006. i would talk to the people you bought the stuff from.

--------------

howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/02/27, 10:59 PM
ahfrost, i use the vanilla 100% whey in my oatmeal and yogurt and i think it's pretty good. another guy on this site, kakaroto, swears by the chocolate mint flavor. 100% whey is a really good value for the money — it's a blend of whey isolates and concentrates. if you can find a decent tasting whey isolate, that would be good to go with as well. you can make your own blend at trueprotein.com and it's cheaper than most of the major supplement companies. there are a lot of posts on whey protein on the site, try doing a search in fitbuddy (at the bottom of the screen) and you'll see a lot of different opinions.

--------------

WAnglais1
WAnglais1
United States
2005/02/28, 12:13 PM
I saw it today on amazon.com for $19.99 a tub...all flavors were available.

--------------
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/02, 06:41 PM
any luck on getting a hold of a cytosport rep Howdie?
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/03/03, 01:59 PM
talked to cytosport...there is no special whey in the muscle milk that prevents it from denaturing under heat. so yeah, i'm not going to be "trying it hot" as they suggest.

he also said they're pretty conservative with the expiration dates, but if you're worried and you think you won't use it before the date comes around, call them and let them know and they can replace it for you.

--------------

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/03, 04:10 PM
Yeah I won't be heating either but i bet it probably tastes pretty good. I will def. them a call and hopefully they'll be able to replace it for me, thanks for asking about that Howdie.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2005/03/03, 10:16 PM
no problem, as long as i had them on the line i figured i'd get as many questions answered as possible. i'm still scratching my head as to why they'd recommend something that ruins their product...oh well, at least now we know.

--------------

italian_boxer
italian_boxer
Canada
2005/03/04, 12:30 AM
what the hell is muscle milk?
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2005/03/05, 02:44 AM
muscle milk boxer is a protein supp that is supossed to be like human milk.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/07, 07:05 PM
Jason and Howdie....got a good shake for you pre bed. I made this last night, and it was very tasty.

1 cup Hoods dairy beverage(or skim milk I guess)
1 scoop banana Muscle Milk
2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
2 tbsp. chocolate instant sugar free pudding mix
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Nice protein count, lite on the carbs, and nice on good fats

protein..42 gr.(I don't count the protein in pb)
carbs...13 gr.
fats....
Calories....520(but quality calories for a long night)

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
smashweasel86
smashweasel86
United States
2005/03/11, 04:27 PM
Ive tried muscle milk and it does taste great. That said, the price per serving is pretty high adn Im on a budget. I use ON 100% whey during the day and their casein protein before bed. Taste is not great, but I mix them with sugar free chocolate powder to improve it.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/11, 05:35 PM
Many times if you search, you can find Muscle Milk very reasonable. I only buy it when my gym has a big sale on it. Some flavors don't sell as well as others apparantely, and when they get too big a stock of some flavors, they sell them dirt cheap. I have bought some for as little as $14 a jug.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/15, 01:04 PM
I eat about 450 calories for my pre bed shake and i'm on a cut right now, you just have to make sure all the calories come from good sources like a slow digesting protein and some good fats. Your body does something like 60% of it's repair while you sleep so it needs to draw that energy and nutrients from somewhere.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/16, 07:06 PM
Ok guys, my gym has MM on sale. I picked one up today, found the best flavor ever!! Chocolate banana crunch!!

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bartigas
bartigas
United States
2005/03/18, 10:15 AM
I've been taking muscle milk pre-workout for the last 2 months, I'm on my second tub... I've been taking 2 scoops about 1/2 to 1 hr before workout. I've noticed that I'm building more strength but my fat loss has be marginal if anything. I was told by a friend that it would help me cut up, but like I said I'm noticing muscle mass, but almost no fat loss. I've got some more mass in arms, chest and shoulders, but my spare tire and double chin aren't going anywhere :( ... BTW Peanut Butter/Chocolate rocks! Tastes almost like brownie mix :) .
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/18, 01:59 PM
Your problem is in calroies. Don't forget MM has quite a bit of calories and the protein content is among the highest you can get. 2 scoops is roughly 350 calories with about 32g. of protein. They is fitting everything into you calorie needs and your p/c/f. Other protein powders like ON's 100% casein protein is per 2 scoops 220 calories at 46g. of protein, so there are better choices out there. gl
bartigas
bartigas
United States
2005/03/19, 03:05 PM
So would I be better off scratching the MM all together and going to a 100% protien instead, and if so which is better whey or casein? A friend of mine that competes also suggested taking amino acids.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2005/03/19, 08:24 PM
Bartigas use the muscle milk as a preworkout drink and as a night time or during the day shake. USe 100% whey mixed with water post workout.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
bartigas
bartigas
United States
2005/03/20, 09:40 PM
I'll try that, thanks mmaibohm.
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 of 3 pages resultset_next resultset_last