Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Low Fat Tilapia Recipes

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/03/02, 03:09 PM
One of the members asked for some of my Tilapia recipes so I thought I would share them online here with everyone else too. I have to wait to get home to get my Cilantro Lime Tilapia recipe to add to this. :)

Enjoy!

Baked Tilapia w/Fresh Spinach

4 to 6 Tilapia filets
cooking spray
8 to 12 oz baby spinach
1/4 cup FF chicken broth
dash onion powder or fresh minced onions
salt and pepper
creole seasoning blend
1 small tomato chopped
4 green onions sliced thin

Prep: Spray baking dish with cooking spray and add the spinach. If necessary tomake the spinach fit into the baking dish,steam or saute it for a minute or two to slightly wilt. Sprinkle spinach with salt, pepper and onions;add the chicken broth. Sprinkle tilapia fillets lightly with salt, pepper, and creole seasonings. Arrange the fillets single layer over the spinach, this will work in a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle fillets with the chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions. Cover dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until fish is flaky. Serves 4

------------------------------------------
Lemon and Herb Tilapia

1 small lemon
4 TBSP Low-fat margarine or butter flavored cooking spray.
1 TBSP fresh chopped parsly
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions with tops
4 tilipia fillets

Preheat oven to 400, zest ans squeeze 1 TBSP of lemon juice in a small bowl, combine the peel and juice with the softenend butter or spray, you can use Molly McButter if you choose too as well, parsley, salt, pepper, and green onions.
Spray baking dish with butter spray, place fillets in dish, folding thinner ends under as necessary. Top fillets with the mixture and bake fillets for 15 minutes or until flaky. Serves 4

------------------------------

--------------
Bettia

\"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open.\" - Lord Thomas Dewar
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/03/02, 08:40 PM
Um Yummy Tilapia!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/03/02, 09:52 PM
Talapia....one of the top diet foods.

If you have a Ruby Tuesdays by you, they have a great Talapia and shrimp with broccoli that is wonderful when dieting. Nice cause you can go out and eat, and still diet.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/03/03, 10:43 AM
Well, I can catch talapia in the canals down here in the casting net. Gonna have to target them now!!
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/03, 01:12 PM
That recipe sounds great, Bettia. I love tilapia, but I'm pretty inept when it comes to preparing fish. I'll have to try your recipe for sure.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/03/04, 11:01 PM
I love Tilapia too!!! Just bought some to cook up for this week..YUUUUMMMMYYYYYYYY!!:love::love::love:

--------------
Bettia

freedomfound
freedomfound
United States
2007/03/05, 12:46 AM
Thanks Raven I used your Lemon and Herb recipe for the week. I'll let you know how it turned out.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/03/05, 01:06 AM
Looking forward to hearing the results... umm.. you can replace the lemon with lime as well... :)

--------------
Bettia

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/03/09, 02:59 AM
Cilantro-Lime Tilapia

1 lime
2 TBSP ELO or cooking spray.
4 TBSP finely chopped cilantro
2 TBSP Chimayo Chile Powder
1 TBSP Cumin
1 Garlic Clove Pressed
salt and pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
4 tilipia fillets

zest and squeeze 1 TBSP of lime juice in a small bowl, combine the peel and juice with the all the ingredients except fish and oil and mix well. Place fish into a plastic bag (1 Gallon Size works well) add the mix into the bag with the fish and mix around and place in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
Spray baking dish with cooking spray or grease with ELO, take filets out of the plastic bag and place in dish, bake fillets for 15 minutes or until flaky. Serves 4

Chimayo Chile is a chile that members of my family make in New Mexico, any powdered chile will work but I favor this. If you would like to purchase Chimayo Chile you can do so at the following link, just copy and paste into your web browser:

http://www.chimayotogo.com/pc-67-12-red-chile-powder.aspx

--------------
Bettia

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/03/09, 10:31 AM
I just heat up the george foreman grill, brush it with olive oil and grill the frozen tilapia fillets for about 5 minutes..yummy!

--------------

If you doubt you can accomplish something, then you can\'t accomplish it. You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.
Rosalyn Carter

laxqu3692
laxqu3692
United States
2008/07/09, 08:06 PM
quick and easy - i just made this for dinner in about 15 minutes since tilapia was on sale at the market.

classic but lower fat picata (no wine, flour, or butter)

1/2 TBS olive oil
1/2 TBS smart balance
2 TBS capers (as many as you like really)
juice of 1 lemon
parsley - as much as you like

i bake my fish in the oven in an aluminum pouch at 400 with minimal salt (capers are salty) and pepper, and cooking spray.

in sauté pan - sizzle up oil and butter, add capers, add fish, add lemon, add parsley.

delicious.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/19, 08:40 AM
Did anyone else read the article out on Talapia? They say it is a terrible fish to eat, might as well eat a donut! I will try to locate it and post it.

****disclaimer....this is not me saying this, just an article I saw I believe on Yahoo. I would have to research it more before I swayed anyone away from Talapia.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/21, 02:10 PM
Here is a cut and paste......there is more...

The American Heart Association tells us to eat fish twice a week in order to help keep our hearts healthy. This is because of the high Omega 3 fatty acid content in most fish. Tilapia is fish, so we should eat more, right? Wrong, a new study by researchers at the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center (Chilton et al, 2008), suggests that farm-raised tilapia may be worse for your heart than eating bacon or a hamburger. Tilapia has gained popularity in recent years as people try to pay attention to Omega 3 fatty acids by eating fish regularly.

Because farm-raised tilapia is often one of the most affordable varieties of fish available at the supermarket, tilapia has increased in popularity as consumers try to merge healthy eating habits with shrinking grocery budgets. Tilapia is easy to raise on fish farms because they thrive under a variety of conditions. Tilapia also do very well on inexpensive foods. This may be the root of the problem. Often, farm-raised tilapia are fed corn-based foods that are high in harmful Omega 6 fatty acids and arachidonic acid. The tilapia stores these arachidonic and Omega 6 fatty acids in its tissues for you to eat when you buy them in a store.

Negative Health Effects of Eating Farm-Raised Tilapia

The study's senior author, Dr. Floyd Chilton, professor of physiology and pharmacology and director of the Wake Forest Center for Botanical Lipids, says, "A New England Journal of Medicine article three years ago said if you had heart disease and had a certain genetic makeup, and you ate arachidonic acid, the diameter of your coronary artery was smaller, a major risk factor for a heart attack." He also cited numerous animal studies showing that dietary arachidonic acid is directly linked to adverse health reactions.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2008/07/21, 02:32 PM
Dang it! There isnt many fish I can eat but this was one of them. Thanks for the info.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/21, 02:34 PM
Note...it states farm raised.

--------------