Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

low back pain

brucec
brucec
Canada
2007/10/02, 01:22 PM
hi, i have had a low back injury for a while now, and i have been working around it ok. but over the last few weeks i have been flaring up pretty bad. to a point where i have missed several days from work. so needless to say i haven't been to the gym in a while either. i have been seeing doctors and they have got the ball rolling, but my exercising has taken a hit. i don't know what i can or should do. i stretch... even some of those i have difficulties with. i'm losing weight which would be ok except i don't have much to lose and now my eating habits are straining. is there something i can do that won't damage my low back more. my wife put her exercise ball in front of me, but what can i do with it... currently i'm 6'4" and now i weigh 186lbs thanks to the above mentioned. i was going to just work arms and shoulders, but i can only do that for so long... and help or suggestions would be great. even ideas about using that ball too, would be great. thanks,
bruce c.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/03, 06:30 PM
You told us nothing about your injury. How is someone supposed to help you without knowing what the problem is?

1. Where does it hurt? Give as best a description as you can.

2. How does it hurt? What kind of pain is it? Dull, throbbing, stinging, sharp, stabbing, acheing, etc?

3. When did it start hurting? What were you doing at the time?

4. When does it hurt? While lifting, standing, sitting, stretching, etc.

5. Constant, intermittent, when doing certain movements?

6. Does the pain radiate to other parts of your body?

7. Range of motion? What movements can or can't you do?

8. What makes it worse, better?

9. What is your main concern regarding the pain and its consequences?

10. Any prior injuries?

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/10/19, 04:50 PM
I'm planning on heading back to the gym on Monday after a two week layoff due to a back injury. A split second of poor form on the deadlift. Ouch.

In regards to low back pain, I have a question: since I am heading back on Monday, I'll be sticking with upper body stuff, arms, chest... should I stay totally away from any lower back movements or would bodyweight good mornings or sldls be okay?

What rep range should I look at? High with low weight?

Thanks,
t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
2007/10/29, 07:47 PM
I did something similar in July during a squat. I don't know the extent of your injury, but I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with a lumbar muscle strain on my left side. After two weeks I was feeling much better, went back to the gym just to do shoulders, chest, and light legs. Oops. Re-injured it. Couldn't believe how touchy my back was. The slightest arch of my back and lax in my abs during overhead shoulder presses caused it to spasm. I waited a month before doing anything more than just stretching exercises (waiting that long drove me nuts!)

Just be very careful in what you decide to do and pay very close attention to how your back is feeling. Good luck Tim.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/10/29, 08:05 PM
I've been back at it for about a week now... I was at the PT and he set me up with some yoga movements (google Five Tibetan Rites). Those, along with the abuse he puts me through seem to be working.

I'm back to see him tomorrow morning... should be fun. :)