Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Looking for results!

Altron5000
Altron5000
United States
2010/01/08, 09:14 AM
Hi, my name is alex, 25 year old male, 200lbs, about 5'10". I recently began working out after years of being a lazy butt! I started taking creatine pre workout and in the mornings ( I typically work out late evenings). I've considered taking a whey protein as well. I'm looking to shave some fat and pack on the muscle. I don't really care about losing weight in fact I wouldn't mind gaining a few lbs. Anyhow, your insight would be much appreciated. I do not have a lot of fitness knowledge and excercise mostly at home, so anything would help, from supplement intake to fitness plans for home workouts. I do have an eliptical and some free weights. Thanks!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2010/01/08, 11:40 AM
My first piece of advice to you is to drop the supplements for now. Being new to all of this there is a world of gains to be had before you hit any serious plateaus. After you see your gains stagnate, maybe consider going to creatine.
You can get a free program from this site for home exercises as well, but you just can't beat the gym for sheer variety.
To really get the most out of fitness, you need to first understand just how much proper dieting effects your performance. Do yourself a favor and take a peek in the diet forums regarding your goals.
Altron5000
Altron5000
United States
2010/01/08, 11:54 AM
I do diet but I am a pretty picky eater. Mostly chicken pork lots of fruits a few veggies yogurt etc. Any input?
Altron5000
Altron5000
United States
2010/01/08, 01:03 PM
Also, is it bad that I'm taking the creatine already.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/08, 01:26 PM
Just work out and eat a good diet. There is no magic out there. You cannot turn around years of bad diet and lifestlye in a few weeks. It is a progressive and additive effect through a change in lifestyle. If you look for 'magic', you will lose focus and give up. Think how much healthier you are becoming, and let progression do its thing.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/01/08, 01:39 PM
Your diet is good as long as your pork is lean . Fruit is good and so are veggies, these are good sources of fiber. Add in more varieties of protein and also some complex carbs. You will see it will make you feel better and motivate you to exercise. One takes care of the other.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
Altron5000
Altron5000
United States
2010/01/08, 02:34 PM
It may sound stupid but what exactly are "complex carbs". Like I said I'm new at this. I've eaten poorly for years and I'm not exactly sure what the ideal diet is for what I want to achieve! Like I said, I eat a lot of chicken, typically shredded with some sort of seasonings tossed in a whole wheat tortilla and a little mozz cheese, occasionally a pork tenderloin and I'm trying my best to enjoy certain types of fish. I also eat whole grain brown rice with a little sea salt from time to time. I love apples, black grapes, blue berries and strawberries ( when in season of coarse). I snack on baby carrots and peanuts as well. Please let me know what you think. I would also like to know a bit about portions.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/08, 04:30 PM
Simply put complex carbs are sugars bonded together to form chains (starch is another 'name).

So, because of these 'chains' digestion of complex carbohydrates takes longer than simple carbs.

The slow absorption of sugars provides us with a steady supply of energy, rather than simple carbs which are digested quite rapidly and raise blood sugars and then the inevitable crash.

This also limits the amount of sugar converted into fat and stored!

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer