Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Lack of support at home

Dixie_Amazon
Dixie_Amazon
United States
2003/03/13, 06:58 AM
My DH proclaims that he is all in favor of my diet and exercise goals. He will then proceed to stop by the grocery and pick up all kinds of junk I have asked him to keep out of the house. This is very difficult for me because I am a compulsive eater. So far I am doing okay but resentment is building towards my DH. I have talked to him about it with no results. Anyone out there with a similar problem or insight?

P.S. Divorce is not an option. We made a pact that whoever leaves has to take the kids! LOL

----------------------------
Dee
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/03/13, 09:35 AM
Yeah my wife loves to snack, she does get me the things I need , but like you I have a ahrd time not eating it if it is there. All I can say is to keep talking to him as I do her. She has gotten better
fit4ever
fit4ever
United States
2003/03/13, 09:56 AM
It all has to do with willpower..yours. You are the one who has decided to get healthy not him. If you are serious about diet and exercise..it will get easier to stay away from junk food. Get a copy of Qxygen magazine for women..they have great recipes..from desserts to main dishes that are low in calories.. and fat. Staying fit doesn't mean you have to eat bland foods..you just need to be more creative with food. Good luck!!! you can do it.
nalaska2002
nalaska2002
United States
2003/03/13, 12:37 PM
It does have to do with will power. I had a similar situation, although I do not think it was done with any malice.
Maybe, you can try and get to the store before your DH. Start looking for tasty lowfat/natural substitutes for what he is craving. I did that and know my husband works out with me, and does not buy as much junk as he used to.
Remember this is your goal not his. Just think about how much harder you have to workout, if you even touch the poison.
Hope it helps.
P.S. Please do not nag him about bringing the junk food in the house, it may push him to do it just to spite you.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/03/13, 05:01 PM
Well looks like will power will have to work for you. Especially if you have kids. I am not saying feed them junk food, but you know and I know (I have 3 kids) they need there dose of the chips the odd time and the odd soda. I bring it in for them, and my wife is ready to attack me thinking I brought it for me, or her....Guess what, it's for the kids. Just buying it gives me the thrill and the fix I need. Try buying something for your kids, not too often, and enjoy there reaction. That way you will get use to buying it and NOT eating it all the time. Hope this makes some sense. Oh ya, don't get the inpression that my kids eat junkfood all the time. They don't.

--------------
Peace on earth

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/03/13, 07:13 PM
I have heard this story over and over. One wants to make a change in their life, the other is no help. This makes it very tough on the person wanting to change. Short of divorce or separation, your only answer it willpower. Maybe when he sees you start slimming down and looking good, that will be his wakeup call. You can in no way force another to to change their habits. If he thinks others may be looking at you because you have made a change and are looking good....it may sink in to him. Good luck.

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!
jxlynxli
jxlynxli
United States
2003/03/13, 08:46 PM
just stay determined and your goals will be met!
Dixie_Amazon
Dixie_Amazon
United States
2003/03/14, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the support! It is great to hear some positive people. DH claims it is for our 3 boys (5, 8 & 9), but he eats most of it and acts hurt if I don't. I guess he is afraid he will have to start working out when I am successful.

--------------
Dee
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/03/14, 08:53 AM
Some men get inesecure when thier wife/girlfriend is very attractive. (no offense ladies)

--------------
Peace on earth

Ivan Montreal Canada
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/03/14, 03:02 PM
That's okay carivan, women get the same way!!!!!!!!

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!