Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

injured and frustrated

hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/12, 07:46 PM
What do you do when you are injured? A nagging back problem and bad knees have me very frustrated. I deal with these things routinely, but this is a definite low, even for me. I have only missed about 1 week of training, but I feel like I am missing too much. I am on my way back to healthy, and I know I will be back on schedule soon (I hope!), so I guess I just wanted to vent a bit. Do any of you 'old' folk deal with these temporary but frustrating bumps and bruises?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/05/13, 02:02 AM
What about swimming?

I have never been really injured but a bad angle once and yes I remember how much I hated it. I actually kept on working out and the only result I got was that it took a lot longer time to heal......
Be careful and listen to your body!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2003/05/13, 02:15 AM
Yes, swimming sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, NE Pennsylvania isn't good until June (well indoor pools are an option, but there is no time). Now if I lived in Southern France....

Thanks for the tip...I will be careful, even though i want to TRAIN!!
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/05/13, 07:59 AM
Hang in there, Hangclaw!

I injured my left shoulder 2 years ago. Saw 2 doctors, went to physical therapy for 3 months, and did specialized light-weight PT exercises and stretches for 12 months before I was 100%. I hated not being able to lift anything for that long. Nowadays, my left ankle acts up at least once a week (i broke it a few years back) and my right elbow has been giving me some troubles.

Lot's of people say, "oh your form must be off" or "you didn't warm up enough" or "you didn't stretch properly", etc. I am certainly no expert, but I know my body, and I know my routine. I think that no matter how careful you are, how much you warm up, and how impeccable your form is, we sometimes push things a little too far... and our bodies let us know.

When those "medals of aging" rear their ugly heads, I just focus on something that's not ailing me - leg work when the upper body aches, upper body when the legs hurt, and some low-impact cardio if I'm just aching all over. If the aches and pains persist even after a modified program, I'll lay off a week. Usually that does it for me. When it doesn't, I take some Advils/Tylenols and then visit the doctor.

TSMD (across the state in SW PA)