Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

increasing size

denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/11/30, 06:44 AM
been weight training (light weights) and cardio for 5 weeks now, 3-4 times per week. my thighs/hips are increasing in size and clothes are getting tighter. I am told by several folks this is normal and the fat will reduce, but I'm just not sure. hard to believe the size will reduce at this point. thoughts?
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/11/30, 11:09 AM
Hey denisemark,
Welcome to the boards.
Some things come to mind. It could be because of the increase in fluid volume. Your bodies reaction in response to the new work load. It takes about 6-8 weeks for your body to adjust to this.
What is your diet like? How much water are you drinking?

:) Melissa

--------------
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- -- Aristotle
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/11/30, 02:28 PM
cereal/oatmeal, sandwich or salad, chicken (skinless) or ham with rice or corn or potato, or spaghetti or pizza occasionally. lots of water (fridge has filtered system in the door...I even order water when dining out and I don't drink sodas). I think I eat pretty healthy.

============
Quoting from mandre:

Hey denisemark,
Welcome to the boards.
Some things come to mind. It could be because of the increase in fluid volume. Your bodies reaction in response to the new work load. It takes about 6-8 weeks for your body to adjust to this.
What is your diet like? How much water are you drinking?

=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/11/30, 04:30 PM
You seem pretty high in the carbs.
Replace the cereal, and sandwich and rice with protiein.
Corn is a big no no. (lots of sugar).
No carbs after 4:pm you will see results.
Your body and youwill feel much better with more protein. Eggs (whites), tuna, chicken breast, cattage cheese (low fat), and good veggies. Have the pata or rice on work out days, for lunch.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/11/30, 06:01 PM
Yes this is normal, your body will begn to build muscle before the fat starts to go. Keep it up eat clean, high protein diet, do some cardio and the fat will begin to reduce. As you increase your muscularity your bodyfat will be easier to reduce. If you are eating wrong though the bodyfat will not reduce...remember it 80% what you eat. Drop "white" foods from your diet...pasta, bread, processed cereal and so on..........

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work....
Leslie
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/12/01, 03:39 AM
Yes it's normal, more muscles and it's GOOD since your metabolism will be higher as well.
Listen to the good advices and don't give up, it'll change fast!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/12/01, 11:47 AM
what about just reducing carbs after 4 and keep the cereal/sandwich? need "on the go" type foods.

============
Quoting from carivan:

You seem pretty high in the carbs.
Replace the cereal, and sandwich and rice with protiein.
Corn is a big no no. (lots of sugar).
No carbs after 4:pm you will see results.
Your body and youwill feel much better with more protein. Eggs (whites), tuna, chicken breast, cattage cheese (low fat), and good veggies. Have the pata or rice on work out days, for lunch.

=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/01, 11:58 AM
Well thats why 60% of North Americans are overwight. Eating On the go. I am always on the go, I am a company rep, and really stay away from those white foods. I do eat at mcdonalds, I have a chicken mcGrill no sauce, but throw away the bread. I even get xtra tomatoe with it. If you must eat bread, try a grain bread and use just 1 slice.
There is always Tuna in these new packs for people on the go. You can always cook up chicken breasts for the week. Use some Mrp's during the day. Hope this helps.
Oh ya, Try not to eat ANYTHING that comes out of a box or can, They are too fat or too high in sodium.
Good Luck

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/12/06, 11:25 PM
Just hang in there. Don't give up. I am a prime example that weight training does wonders. I have lost 30 lbs and have kept it off no matter what my eating habits because of the muscle I have built. Dieting only works temporarily and weight training lasts. I have not been able to cook my own food so I haven't been eating very healthy the last two months, but I have not gained any weight. Weight training is definetly the key to losing and keeping the fat off.

--------------
Lisa
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/12/12, 06:19 AM
but did you increase in size and have your clothes get tighter...? this is week 6 and still no "loss" at all.

============
Quoting from roni0906:

Just hang in there. Don't give up. I am a prime example that weight training does wonders. I have lost 30 lbs and have kept it off no matter what my eating habits because of the muscle I have built. Dieting only works temporarily and weight training lasts. I have not been able to cook my own food so I haven't been eating very healthy the last two months, but I have not gained any weight. Weight training is definetly the key to losing and keeping the fat off.

=============
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/12/12, 07:46 PM
Hey denise I think she means after the 30 lb loss. My eating habits of late have not really been that clean but I have managed to stay within a few lbs as well.

OK we are going to get into detail here.

What is your weight?
Do you know your BF%?
How many calories a day are you consuming?\
What is your P/C/F ratios?
Are you eating 5-6 small meals a day?

What is your training split like?
Forget about those light weights, you will not get anywhere!!

You must be able to account for how much water you are drinking. Fill a gallon jug and lug it around with you all day long.

Cardio 3-4 days a week but for how long. What intensity? What type?

How much sleep are you getting a night? Stress levels?

Are you taking any supplements?

Yeah it seems like I am asking for your life story :) but this is to help you.

All of these; nutrition, weights, cardio, hydration and sleep are the keys for successful fat loss and/or muscle gain.

Ok let us know and we will be able to help further. OK?

--------------
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- -- Aristotle
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/12, 09:55 PM
Mandre you should get into coaching! Your good!

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/12/16, 07:12 AM
Hi Melissa: Answers are after your question. Thanks. :) Maybe we'll get to the bottom of this. My arms have lost inches (they aren't really big to begin with), but gain is 3/4 inch in ea.thigh/hips.

============
Quoting from mandre:

Hey denise I think she means after the 30 lb loss. My eating habits of late have not really been that clean but I have managed to stay within a few lbs as well.

OK we are going to get into detail here.

What is your weight? 150 now (pre weights, 145) goal:130
Do you know your BF%? unsure.
How many calories a day are you consuming? 1300ish
What is your P/C/F ratios? online trainer recommended 20P/60C/20F. Aiming for that...doing pretty well with that.

Are you eating 5-6 small meals a day? 3-4 with fruit snacks.

What is your training split like? alternate of cardio/weights/cardio/weights...16 stations total.

Forget about those light weights, you will not get anywhere!! Do 30lbs upper body, 20 lbs lower. Any more on the lower and I will just get bigger. I tried that once before. I heard high reps,low weight for size loss (?).

You must be able to account for how much water you are drinking. Fill a gallon jug and lug it around with you all day long. I drink 8-10 glasses a day of water. Even at home. I don't drink soda.This part is easy!

Cardio 3-4 days a week but for how long. What intensity? What type? 30 min each workout, 15 min ea of cardio/weights. intensity above. I also do 10 min/bike, 10 min treadmill when I get home from the gym.

6-7 hours. Stress is medium to high.

Are you taking any supplements? No.

Yeah it seems like I am asking for your life story :) but this is to help you.

All of these; nutrition, weights, cardio, hydration and sleep are the keys for successful fat loss and/or muscle gain.

Ok let us know and we will be able to help further. OK?

=============
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/12/17, 07:40 PM
#$$^%@$ here comes the sailor in me. I just typed up a good post and it got lost in cyberspace. Ok round 2 better work. LOL

Get to know your BF%. That is more important than scale weight.

All you need is a tape measure to track your progress.
http://www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.html

Too low. 1500-1800.

What is your P/C/F ratios? online trainer recommended 20P/60C/20F. Aiming for that...doing pretty well with that.

Crappy crappy crappy! No wonder you are struggling!
35-45P/35-45C/15-25 F

Fruit does have its place but not when cutting. Veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes.......

What is your training split like? alternate of cardio/weights/cardio/weights...16 stations total.

3 day split
Chest/Tri/Should
Legs/booty/calves
Back/Bis

Forget about those light weights, you will not get anywhere!! Do 30lbs upper body, 20 lbs lower. Any more on the lower and I will just get bigger. I tried that once before. I heard high reps,low weight for size loss (?).

Myth!

Heavy, Heavy, Heavy

12/10/8 for 6 weeks
20/15/12/8 for 6 weeks

For example I started Jun 24
Leg press
12 @ 90
10 @ 100
8 @ 110

Oct 23 progressed
20 @ 130
15 @160
12 @ 190
8 @ 220

Booty and legs did not get bigger. They look awesome. That is what my husband says. :) Others too but he counts the most.

You must be able to account for how much water you are drinking. Fill a gallon jug and lug it around with you all day long. I drink 8-10 glasses a day of water. Even at home. I don't drink soda.This part is easy!

Cool! Work up to 10-12

Cardio 3-4 days a week but for how long. What intensity? What type? 30 min each workout, 15 min ea of cardio/weights. intensity above. I also do 10 min/bike, 10 min treadmill when I get home from the gym.

Weights should take about 40 min
Cardio 20 min
Bicycle 20 min
Elliptical 20 min
Treadmill 20 min
4th day choose one of the three and use it as a HIIT.

I need to work on this myself. Lack of sleep and stress release cortisol which can be detrimental to muscle gains and fat loss. Work up to 7-8 hours.

Multi min/Vit is what you need.

Try this for 3-4 weeks. Weigh yourself and BF once a week. Write down everything you put in your mouth for this time period. Even if it is a stick of gum.

Oh I wish I had the other one that I had typed up.

PS.
Thank you carivan. :)

--------------
- -- Aristotle
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/12/17, 08:47 PM
Thanks Melissa.
I'll try to keep a food journal, but something is working if I'm losing inches on arms, just not on lower body.
The circuit training is a standard upper/lower/cardio combo (with weights), 30 min. Then I come home and use bike/treadmill. So it's not really conducive to doing upper one day, lower the next. They (gym) tell me that the combo is the most effective. I will increase the weights though.All this info just differs so much from resource to resource, it's hard to tell. I'm told after a few months, I will begin to lose, but my clothes are still tighter and uncomfortable and I'm struggling with wanting to hang in. Although I will committ to 12-14 weeks before "giving in".I'm ending week 6.

============
Quoting from mandre:

#$$^%@$ here comes the sailor in me. I just typed up a good post and it got lost in cyberspace. Ok round 2 better work. LOL

Get to know your BF%. That is more important than scale weight.

All you need is a tape measure to track your progress.
http://www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.html

Too low. 1500-1800.

Crappy crappy crappy! No wonder you are struggling!
35-45P/35-45C/15-25 F

Fruit does have its place but not when cutting. Veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes.......

3 day split
Chest/Tri/Should
Legs/booty/calves
Back/Bis

Myth!

Heavy, Heavy, Heavy

12/10/8 for 6 weeks
20/15/12/8 for 6 weeks

For example I started Jun 24
Leg press
12 @ 90
10 @ 100
8 @ 110

Oct 23 progressed
20 @ 130
15 @160
12 @ 190
8 @ 220

Booty and legs did not get bigger. They look awesome. That is what my husband says. :) Others too but he counts the most.

Cool! Work up to 10-12

Weights should take about 40 min
Cardio 20 min
Bicycle 20 min
Elliptical 20 min
Treadmill 20 min
4th day choose one of the three and use it as a HIIT.

I need to work on this myself. Lack of sleep and stress release cortisol which can be detrimental to muscle gains and fat loss. Work up to 7-8 hours.

Multi min/Vit is what you need.

Try this for 3-4 weeks. Weigh yourself and BF once a week. Write down everything you put in your mouth for this time period. Even if it is a stick of gum.

Oh I wish I had the other one that I had typed up.

PS.
Thank you carivan. :)

=============
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/12/18, 04:42 PM
Ok if that is what you want to do that is your choice. Please keep this in mind when you are finished with your program.
I know at the gym they are supposed to be the experts. I am coming from experience.

By the Navy's Tape measurements for body fat I went from
198 @ 45 % body fat
Fat 89.1 lbs
LBM 108.9

163 @ 29 %
Fat 47.3
LBM 115.9

In uniform I went from a pant size 22 to a size 12.

The calipers measure me a little different but still the change is too hard to ignore. I really hate to see you struggle. The above is exactly what I did.

Good luck no matter what you do. :)

--------------
- -- Aristotle
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/12/18, 06:12 PM
Denise, Melissa gives good advice. I think you'll be back when you find out your current routine isn't working for you and if it does work then I will eat my shoe w/a dash o'pepper. ;)
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/12/18, 07:25 PM
I know that as a guy i really have no experience on what works for a woman. But i would like to add that as you bulid muscle it sometimes pushes the fat out (hence the size increase). Stick with it. I wrote something along these lines in the beginner board called baby steps. Try eating more protein, less carbs(but only a little) and alot of water. Lift heavy and give it 3 good solid months please this is not like on TV where in 30 minutes a week you can look like a super model. You will nto get huge if you lift heavy that is a myth. Good luck!

--------------
TO DEADLIFT, OR NOT TO DEADLIFT, THAT IS THE QUESTION!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/18, 08:37 PM
Denise we are all cheering you on here. Don't give up. Just turn it up a notch! If Mandre was in my hometown she would be my pt! Go for it.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
denisemark
denisemark
United States
2002/12/19, 07:20 AM
What are good protein foods besides chicken/beef? When I think of protein I think a lot of meat. Can I sub a protein drink for eating protein? I misspoke earlier, I'm ending week 7 actually. I have heard so much about lifting light/higher reps for loss; heavy waits for bulk. That is quoted so often...I will try heavy weights though, trusting this info! :)

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

I know that as a guy i really have no experience on what works for a woman. But i would like to add that as you bulid muscle it sometimes pushes the fat out (hence the size increase). Stick with it. I wrote something along these lines in the beginner board called baby steps. Try eating more protein, less carbs(but only a little) and alot of water. Lift heavy and give it 3 good solid months please this is not like on TV where in 30 minutes a week you can look like a super model. You will nto get huge if you lift heavy that is a myth. Good luck!

=============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/12/19, 11:24 AM
Well you can eat any fish if youlike it I like salmon and tuna plus eggs and cottage cheese. I know that you are afraid of bulking unless you are genetic freak you will not get huge. You will however increase lean muscle mass and that in turn will burn more bf. There will a transition period where you might get bigger, that sounds like wht is happening. Give it some time months at least and see wht happens eat more and lift heavy and see.....

--------------
TO DEADLIFT, OR NOT TO DEADLIFT, THAT IS THE QUESTION!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/19, 04:06 PM
Certainly include protien shakes and some mrp's. That will be a big plus for your nutritional intake.
Make sure the cottage cheese is 1-2%.
Like Mutt said, you would have to be geneticly freaky to put on bulk.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
kory123
kory123
United States
2003/12/15, 12:28 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/16, 12:28 PM
I am living proof that the diet makes the difference. My pants all got tight right away after I started working out, boy was I surprised. BUT after about 3 - 3-1/2 months my legs started slimming down and now ALL of my pants are loose EVERYWHERE!!

--------------
Gramma
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/12/22, 04:45 PM
That happend to me too...then, one day I was running on the treadmill and looked down on my thighs and thought, oh my goodness, wow, my thighs shrunk! It seemed to just happen all of the sudden...but that's probably because I just came to the point of accepting I had big thighs and not pay any more attention to 'em. But, they did shrink 5" each thigh.

Just continue to workout and it will happen!