Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

I want to be superwoman at 43!

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/06, 10:28 PM
You know, I just want to be this superfit person and I get all fired up and I can be and usually am my own worst enemy, self doubting myself due to my age. Does anyone else go through this? THen, ontop of it I get teased and made fun of from everyone from my kids, their friends, my friends and whoever else whenever I bring up that I like to box a bag for exercise and lift weights...they look at me and laugh like I'm pulling their leg and then I see them get a bit embarrassed when they see I am serious - I suppose because I am not of the fitess shape yet and I am 43 and a grandmother they think I am plainly hopeless....it gets not only annoying but quickly lets the wind out of my sails...I don't know if that will ever go away - well, until I am fit I suppose...then I guess I can just kick all their butts!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/11/07, 06:05 AM
If you aren't getting the reaction you need from telling people that you workout, quit telling them. You aren't doing for it them so what difference does it make whether they take you seriously or not. You have to learn to be self-sustaining in this regard because if you wait for someone else to validate you, you are going to be disappointed every time.

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
2004/11/07, 11:06 AM
Well Veda-K, you are a bit young but give it a few years and you'll grow into it. I didn't live this long to worry about what mere puppies might think of me. They need to worry about what I think of them. Now what exactly was the problem??

In the words of a very young pup who used to hang around here "shut up and lift."

Who loves ya baby????

--------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Charlie
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/08, 10:57 AM
It isn't that I am steering the conversations toward my exercise it is when the conversations are already there and we are sharing what one another do for working out and so on - I just participate in the conversation. I would be the very last one to bring up my exercise to anyone as it has always been regarded with disbelief of my efforts anyway other than here on FT, and I certainly don't need anyone to validate me, but I can't help but feel a bit unmotivated and like I am facing an impossible task when it happens. It really isn't so much what they think of me but what I think of me, I guess...that is a bit harder to deal with! Just wondering if anyone else gets to feeling that way and what they do with it, suggestions are always helpful as sometimes I can't think beyond my own self-pity, lol!!! Thanks Anni & Charlie, I'll just shut up and lift!! :big_smile:
Quoting from anni313:

If you aren't getting the reaction you need from telling people that you workout, quit telling them. You aren't doing for it them so what difference does it make whether they take you seriously or not. You have to learn to be self-sustaining in this regard because if you wait for someone else to validate you, you are going to be disappointed every time.

=============

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/11/08, 11:12 AM
Why don't you turn that self doubt into motivation? Sounds to me like you are feeling sorry for yourself and just feeling doom and gloom. Get in the gym, do your workout and enjoy your life.

--------------
I make fun of others to compensate for my low self esteem. It works.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/08, 11:41 AM
Nawwww, not feeling sorry for myself at all - at least not today, lol! It just doesn't seem to take much when it comes to the subject of ridiculing my efforts to put me in a poor poor pitiful me mode, fortunately they don't usually last for more than a short time or I would of committed myself by now! But you are right, Hec, I just need to shrug those moments off instead of letting them bum me out and just go take it out on my boxing bag!! Though life in general has been hard of late...not a lot to smile about - trying hard to remember what FUN is, but others have it much worse and I just have to remember that and keep pluggin! I am blessed to be here!:)

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/11/08, 11:45 AM
I find that people who ridicule your lifestyle are usually just jealous or have their own feelings of inadequacy. I usually do not surround myself with these people. If they are family I minimize my contact with them. If they insist on meddling I usually just kill them.:angry:

--------------
I make fun of others to compensate for my low self esteem. It works.
2004/11/08, 12:22 PM
Like I said Veda-K you're still young. You'll out grow this peer pressure thing.

--------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Charlie
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/11/08, 01:46 PM
Veda, Remember that this pups are not your peers. They are young and dumb And your mature and experianced. And any one who laughs at someone who works out on a bag is not very smart. Since I started coming here I'm the fitest I've been since my twenties and my kids (older boys) still laugh at me. But if the need arose I'm sure that I can kick thier butts. One of them was surprised the other night when both twins climbed on my back and I started doing push ups with them there. I didn't let on how surprised I was that I could do 10 with the extra 40 lbs and still feel like I could do more.

We are here for ourselves and for a lot of parents this is the only thing we do for ourselves. Let them laugh. At 43 they are going to wish that they hadn't.

--------------
I will get to it as soon as I am done lifting.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/11/08, 01:56 PM
Hey do not feel bad! I worked in a call center enviroment and had desk set very close to each other, so close that we all could hear any conversation be carried on. I had a co worker over hear my advice to another friend that knew I lifted. The other coworker told me I had better get a personal trainer cause I sure did not look like a fitness cover model. I got very mad fer sur but the next time into a gym I lifted with that idiots face as my motivation. That was about 2 years ago I think and i still usee that to hit the weights harder.

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/09, 04:11 PM
Thanks all, you are all soooo smart! I knew I liked you all for a reason *wink*!

Your right Hec, and I have pretty much done a lot of cleaning out of the negatives in my life - unfortunately it didn't leave much as far as friends and family left, but it has certainly helped me - I used to be MUCH worse!!

And Charlie, I love it when you keep using the words "young" and "pup"!

Woodie - WOW! Ten pushups with two kiddies on your back! I am impressed!! Not an easy feat even for Chuck Norris, no doubt! I knew you were awesome!

Mutt - it is GOOD to see you!! Always fresh wisdom and an inspiration!

Have a great day all of you!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!