Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

I want tipsWaist reduction and lower abs

workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/20, 07:39 AM
Ok - I dont consider myself with a weight problem as I'm 115 and 5'3. I've been working out 5-6 days a week. I know I prob. can increase my cardio and maybe thats the answer but I want to make my waist a little smaller and do something with my lower abs...euuuu - when I sit in my skimpies - they are flabby and I hate it! (Lipo suction??)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/11/20, 11:11 AM
The very best exercise for the waist I know is very very simply. Take a broom (kick the head off!! :o) put it behind the upper back, sit down (or keep standing, but don't move your legs) and twist.... But don't just sit there and twist for hours, you have to tighten your abs!!! It should start to burn after around 15-20 reps. This exercise stretch and trim your abs in the same time.
The best exercise for the lower part is leg raises....
Finally, if your tummy is covered my fat, you'll never see those beautiful muscles..... Don't loose weight, but maybe change your eating habbit.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/20, 04:10 PM
Thanks so much for the tips...especially from France, I'm impressed members are of this large of a vicinity. How old are you? I'm 43 without much of an athletic history so even though my progess is SLOW, I am glad I started this.
wakeb14
wakeb14
United States
2001/11/21, 04:12 PM
cardio is important if you want your abs to show. you could have the strongest abs in the world from ab routines, but untill the layer of fat is lost around the tummy your abs won't look developed. so just increase your cardio and it sounds like your off to a start. good luck!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/11/22, 04:28 AM
Cardio is good, especially when you want to burn your fat off. The only problem is that very often you're not only burning fat but muscles as well. Look at your diet and make sure of getting enough proteins (trust me it's easier said than done!)
By the way hardworkingoutgirl, if you want to know more about the peeps in here, then look at our profiles!! (o:
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/26, 10:55 AM
Oh yea - figured it out....too bad some of these guys don't live close to me - some are pretty darn good looking~ - Its nice to see some women around my age too - and hopefully I can ck with them to see what has worked and what didnt for them. I tried xenadrine - helps with appetite suppression but I just wanted more energy which...that with a combo of a ultra genergy supplement helps.....well,,,,,makes it tuff to go to sleep - I may as well become an owl when I do both! But you're prob right - Im sure its my diet as I tend to lean towards carbs and I need to cut that gunk out~!
Nice to hear back from you!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/11/26, 01:55 PM
I often wonder why it is that difficult to eat all those proteins...... Of course it doesn't help a lot since I'm vegetarien, but still...... I eat 5-7 white eggs per day, tofu, yogurt and once in a while some chicken. That should be enough but it isn't (I have to say that I'm very active and 6 feet tall too!).
But that's not the thing, the thing is that it's just sooooo much easier (and often a lot nicer) to grap some fresh made bread with cheese and jam or an apple than to eat another boring egg or yogurt.....
Maybe we are just automatically attracted to carbs.....
Oh, and yes I have tried lots of different ways to cook my proteins but still the carbs win the battle....
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/26, 04:22 PM
It took me years of conscience effort to switch from the Carbo Diet to a Higher Protein Diet. Stick with it and after awhile you will naturally grab for the protein option over the bread, pasta and such. I find that a protein drink in a cooler at work, in the car, in the fridge is a big help. I drink that first, then it I still must have a carb snack I will. But you will find that a good blend protein drink will cut those cravings.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/26, 08:48 PM
To Ltroisi - Glad you responded too! Its great to see someone close to my age....(So, I'm 43!!!) that has made herself a success. Something I would like to achieve but not competition wise. I seen your profile as I was glancing thru those with pics! How often and how long do you work out? And how many years did you put in for your results? And of course..at last...do you use any supplements or go the all natural way? I havent done anything BUT work out.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/26, 11:15 PM
WOGirl. I started working out 14 years ago. I went to the gym with a few guys from work and was hooked. My boyfriend got me a book "hard bodies" by Gladys Portugues. I read it forward and backwards and used it like a bible for a couple years. I have a full gym in my house (no time to go to the gym due to work schedule)so I work out generally 5-6 days a week. Every 4 weeks I do a Active Rest Week and work out maybe 2 days with 3 days cardio. I think I saw changes with in the first year.I started out a weakling (used 5-8 lb Dumbells!)and progressively get stronger every year. My biggest obstacle is my bone structure.Like on the bench press I could probably do more weight if my hands and wrists didn't give out! So it takes time to increase the weights.Also I batttle low back pain so I have to be careful and not over do it.
As far as supplements what I mentioned in the other post plus a fiber supplement. I use Glucosamine for my joints off and on. Ocassionally I do a cycle of creatine. Prior to competition I use a whole bunch of different supplements but if you aren't competing they make no sense. I never use fat burners. I have problem with low blood sugar so they are TABOO. Instead prior to competition I use chromium and L-carntine. Hope that helps!!!!! Leslie
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/27, 09:17 PM
Leslie:
That book sounded familiar, and sure enough as I about killed myself crawling up in my closet (walk in duh) I have that same book - just never looked at it. I also have Body for Life which has some good points and good info for showing and telling about proper formations for machines etc. So, I'll take it from you and read this book being I have the time to do so at this point! I use to procrastinate doing lower body (legs) and have started, oh about a month ago, trying to alternate - arms one day, legs next....just the leg days about do me in! I may as well jump in a wheelchair afterwards! Im sure in due time I'll get use to it. I am definitely not a candidate for competition but Im working on making a better appearance at this age frame! This is the only site I know of - do you know of any others? Other than this I pick up Muscle Fitness from time to time and the ususal Shape magagine.
But, this is a decent site and I've been telling people about it! But you...gee 14 yrs - is great dedication. I can only hope I keep at this from now on! Peggy
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/27, 11:43 PM
check out this site..its got some cool info and its entertaining. Go to the eating section. There is a good article on fat free carbohydrates and check out her "crap" list!
http://www.stumptuous.com
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/28, 08:00 AM
Hey - guess what? Joyce Vedral (co author of Hard Bodies)
also has a nice website. Its. wwwjoycevedral.com. You can write her via that site...which I did so I'm seeing if they really do respond. I guess she has another book out called Bottoms up which Im going to ck out and see what it has in it. I know the carbs is what is making me have a..gag...33 inch gutt and my waist at 27. The rest of me...is okay - I just gotta trim those areas. You know...we all see ourselves in the mirrors and (thank GOd) no one else gets too~! Well, you, on the other hand have overcome these obstacles. I've just GOTTA make myself better. Besides...I think finding a job around is going to get worse! Being out of work..........stinks!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/28, 02:12 PM
I checked out the sites Itroisi and workingoutgirl. theyre great Ive booked marked them to check out later. I know what you mean about unemployment.Since moving to the US I have been waiting for Immi to issue me a work acceptance doc and theyre taking their sweet time Ive been here since may and nothing yet.One thing I wanted to say is..us women our our own worst enemies when it comes to analysing what is looking back at us in the mirror.Ive been working on being more positive about myself.Another thing for me being unemployed is Im workingon getting into a fitness/eating rountine that I will be ablew to continue no prib whhen I join the work force. Have a good day girls!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/28, 03:23 PM
Ive been working out more so since I lost my job! (Im sitting here eating crackers and drinking pop) Stuff I gotta quit or all this hard work is down the tubes. Its just so depressing when you worked as long as I have (20 yrs) and can't find a job to pay you what you at least have to earn to cover bills! I keep hoping all this, working out, volunteering etc will pay off! Meanwhile I have learned alot via the net!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/28, 05:22 PM
Hey Im also volunteering and I like it. The job I left I had for 12 years so I kinda know what your saying.Dont you find though that after a workout you just feel so good? I can say working out has helped with my mood thats for sure.I am also very new to this country so I dont even have friends I can just hang out with and have a good bi@#h session if need be.I also find the diet part is hard. My carbs are no prob but getting that protein in is a killer for me without going over my daily calorie total....hmm live and learn I guess eh?
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/28, 10:17 PM
Yes, working out does wonders to the attitude and frame of mind. I worry now, once I do get a job...will I still find the time like I do now??? My problem is being able to lift more. I can for example...go for 10 different times for say..arms...(I do arms one day - legs the next..and of course the holiday thru me off...anyway...say with my legs...on leg extensions...Im doing one leg at a time just lifting 20, 3 sets of 10-12 reps with stupid 20 pds..and I CAN NOT For the life of my whimmpy legs...lift more than that. I about kill myself lifting the three sets. It aggervates me to no end..esp. to see some really really skinny chick (of course,,,younger) go at lifting -- more like she's lifting cotton balls. AHHH! Thats where I get disappointed. I have all these maybes...maybe because I don't take vitamins...maybe because of my age, maybe because I've only worked out for just one year, maybe its too many carbs and not enough protein...maybe I need to adjust my lifestyle of all the maybes and maybe...it will finally happen...that I can lift...more??? I just would like to input how I'm doing things...diet and all and see what an expert would suggest!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/29, 12:09 AM
Well Im certainly not an expert but I dont think we should compare ourselves to anyone else.Actually I dont pay any attention to anyone else but myself when working out.I think if thats all you can lift now then be happy with it. Its going to come sooner or later and youre right maybe its a diet adjustment... but try different things and Im sure it will come...
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/29, 07:11 AM
WOGirl, I think the key statement you made is "working out one year" well this takes time! Remember in another post I told you I started very light. I have work out partners who lift the same as me (or more)but that means nothing. Diet is 80% of it. My partner lives on carbs, fruit, limited protein and runs as much as she can. Needless to say we have different results. She's very thin and never adds much muscle. If you eat poorly all that time in the gym....out the window! So don't compare yourself to anyone. Look at where you started and where you are now. My favorite saying is
"PERSISTENCE and Failure Never stay in the same room!" I live by this.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/11/29, 07:47 AM
It's not only about the weight but about the technic you're using. Why is everybody so foccused on the weight? Of course you can see when you're able to take more and more heavy but don't only look at that. When doing your sets and repetions you should take a weight where you can not do more than max two more reps.....
If you want to shape the muscle you need to feel the burning. The weight you're using doesn't really means anything as long as you work well and feel this burning.
Anyway, you'll see it later. You'll suddenly feel one day that to feel the burning you have to use more weight. As Leslie says, it takes time.
Keep on going girls, everything will come through as long as you believe.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/29, 05:09 PM
I shall definitely try these tips!