Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

How to disagree...

dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/22, 04:06 PM
This is a situation I seem to run into alot: Someone I work with says they go to the gym and work out, but hell if I can tell. They proceed to want to talk shop about fitness.

And most of the time, what they are doing in the gym is about worthless. But they seem very sure about what they are doing and I don't know what to say most of the time. I hate to burst peoples bubbles, because ignorance is bliss. Should I just nod my head and let them continue to spin their wheels or should I offer unsolicated advice and risk offending them. I hate to tell people that what their doing is all wrong. I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

----------------------------
Anything can be done
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/22, 04:10 PM
Don't outright disagree...instead, offer them your way as an "alternative." That way, it doesn't seem like they're wrong.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/07/22, 04:12 PM
Yep, happens to me all the time. My boss has been working out for twenty some years now, and thus never listens to me. In all area's of life, we cannot offer unsolicited advice or we risk any chance we have at helping this person. The best thing you can do is say, "Hey if you get bored of what you're doing, try this..." Don't tell them it's better, worse, or anything. Just give them the option to try something else.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/07/22, 04:18 PM
I always say that for me this works, or I tried this and man it hit the mucsle hard...I never tell them they are doing it wrong, unless I see them at the gym and they are going to get hurt..then I offer advice.

--------------
"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" LIFT HARD AND OFTEN!!!!!!
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/07/22, 04:19 PM
Thats very sage advice. Thanks guys.

--------------
Anything can be done
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/23, 01:19 AM
If you see that they are in risk of hurting themself (risking to cause injury to their joints etc) then you should say something. If not, then don't, it's not your job but the job of the personal trainer/gym owner (maybe you could say it to him/her).

I know it's a big bother. I run into the same prob each time I go to another gym (I spend more time of correcting others than training myself!!).

--------------
- Nina :o) Vous êtes tous magnifiques!