Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

How many reps and weights?

lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/01/27, 01:52 PM
I have a personalized plan but it does not indicate how many reps or weights I should be doing. How do I go about figuring this out?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/27, 04:11 PM
here did you get this plan? The ones on here give the rep details. Maybe you didn't look in the right area?

--------------
Nothing is too small to know, and nothing is too big to attempt!

Ivan Montreal Canada
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/27, 04:13 PM
typo here should be "where"

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/01/29, 05:15 PM
Yes, it does gives the reps but not the weight amount in my personalized plan.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/01/29, 05:24 PM
the weights you use are up to you as not everyone is the same. What are your goals and past experience? Gives us that and lets see what we can do for you~!!!!

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/01/30, 05:58 PM
My goals are to tone certain parts of my body, specifically my hamstrings and hips and upper thighs. I have always done cardio and now I am trying to incorporate lifting into my workout to help tone and build a little muscle mass so that I can burn calories quicker. My problem lies in not knowing what to do. One person tells me to start out with X amount of weight at 16 reps, then do the same weight at 14 reps and then 12. But another person tells me to stay at 12 reps but increase my amount of weight with each set. I am just so confused and being a female I do not want to bulk up because I am doing something wrong!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/30, 06:04 PM
Don't worry about getting bulky. Women can't do that unless they are geneticly freaky, or on a steroid. Follow the plan on here and as for the weight levels, do the number of reps required. If you can do the complete reps with no fatigue or resistance in your muscle it means it wasn't heavy enough, add weight to the next set, and see how it feels, you should always have trouble doing the last 3 reps of every set. Don't worry you won't bulk up.
Good Luck.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/01/30, 06:35 PM
Yeah what he said! lol really it is true just relax it really is not as hard as getting the diet right.

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/30, 07:54 PM
You do not have to worry about "bulking" up, this takes testosterone, and women generally do not have enough of it to accomplish this. The women professional BB's you see get their testosterone from an "outside" source.

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!
Busta
Busta
United States
2003/01/30, 11:17 PM

The standard is three sets with the first set doing 12 reps, using a light weight that will be a little difficult on the last rep. The second set 10 reps, adding 3 to 5lbs and the third set 8 reps adding 3 to 5lbs . The weight depends on how much you can lift without losing form. You never want to add weight if you can't maintain good form. I am learning the basics of strength training and this suggestion has worked quite well for me. Hope this helps
============
Quoting from lucyladybug:

I have a personalized plan but it does not indicate how many reps or weights I should be doing. How do I go about figuring this out?

=============
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/01/31, 12:29 PM
Now this is where I am getting confused. My plan has me doing 4 sets of reps starting with 20 reps the first set, then 18, 16, and 4. I am unsure if I am supposed to follow this or just stick with 3 sets. I was at the gym last night and all the people I was working with were only doing 3 sets and waiting around for me to finish my 4th. My other concern is am I supposed to go up in weight with each set or just stay at the same weight and exhaust my muscles. I am just trying to tone, I do not want to be bodybuilder. (yet! hee hee)
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/03, 03:31 PM
This is not good. I am gaining weight and I do realize that muscle weighs more than fat but I am putting on weight again my hip area. I eat 5 times a day and I am eating much more healthier than I have every in my life. What could be happening?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/02/03, 03:53 PM
Ok let me ask you a question....how are your clothes fitting and what does the mirrior say? I know for me that I weighed in at the docs office at 312, not one lb different from almost a year ago, but I have lost 5-6 inches from my waist. So use a cloth measureing tape and keep track that way. Other than that if you are indeed gaining weight what type is that? Fat or muscle? Also look at you cardio...hope this helps ya!

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/04, 04:49 PM
I take a measurement once a week and I keep track in a book and I am not seeing anything different. My jeans aren't fitting me the same, I cannot figure it out. I am only 123 but a few months ago I was 116 and this is quite disturbing to me. I know that many girls would be happy at this weight but when you have been fairly thin your whole life it is quite discouraging to put on even those 7 pounds. My jeans are hard to pull up over my hips and I hope I am not doing any exercises that are putting weight onto my hips. I do so many different kinds of exercise. Tonight I have a kickboxing class. Yesterday I did a bicep workout at the gym and took a belly dancing lesson. I am eating so healthy it is driving me crazy. I might just go back to pigging out on chocolate and maybe I will loose the weight. Go figure.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/11, 05:19 PM
I am not too sure what that means.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/02/11, 05:28 PM
Keep up what you are doing Lucyladybug. It is normal to put on the xtra weight when you do resistance training. Once the muscle is there, it will help burn away your fatty tissue. The gain only means It's working for you.

--------------

Ivan Montreal Canada
Marx-22
Marx-22
Canada
2003/02/11, 10:21 PM
I can verify what cairvan says ... I started working out weighing 175 lbs ... I now weigh 202 lbs .. oh I am 5'10" tall. Most my pants still fit but the ones that used to fit just perfectly I find are a little tight .. well fairly tight but manageable. I been working out at the gym for half a year now .. of course only started freetrainers not too long ago myself. But definetly feeling the benefits of the weight gain.

Mark

--------------
He Who controls the past,
commands the future.
He who commands the future,
conquers the past.
- Kane
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/12, 05:13 PM
I am trying to tone my hip and thigh area which is a problem spot for women. I have no intention of changing the shape of my body unless it is slimming and not widening. Tomorrow is my once a week weigh in day so I will see what happens. I take my measurements so if I have gone down in inches I will feel better. But right now I am just frustrated totally. It is just the last 15 pounds that I need to loose.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/14, 11:53 AM
My measurements have not gone down. I haven't weighed myself yet, I don't want to ruin my valentines day
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/19, 01:52 PM
I lost a pound but it may just have been water weight. This is extremely hard.
sfh
sfh
United States
2003/02/20, 10:40 AM
Hi, I'm new to the fitness discussion board but just from reading others' questions and responses I enjoy this forum. lucyladybug's confusion about weights and reps are similar to my own. In one fitness article I read about many types of weight lifting programs. One program suggested doing overall one sets at a maximal weight for each body part. It noted that lifting submaximally does nothing for the muscle. What is your opinion on this? The second question: what is the point of doing light reps that fatigue the muscle and then trying to add more weight to additional sets? Or vice versa, starting with a heavy set and decreasing the weight with each new set? My last question is concerned with the order of weight bearing exercise. I understand that rotating between the upper and lower body gives you a bit of a rest but within one portion of the body is there a sequence of exercises for example the upper body as not to tire out the triceps before actually targeting it while working the shoulders?
sfh
baymaster
baymaster
United Kingdom
2003/02/20, 01:28 PM
Firstly nothing is written in stone! - its whatever works for you!
On the point of increasing the weight as you progress through the sets - i think this is mainly to prepare your muscle for stimulation/fatigue and is something i would advise as a means of warming up especially if you are new to weight training.
The other point you make about reducing the weight as you go through the sets is a technique used to go that extra inch to get muscle growth. I know them as decsending sets where you start at max weight then go to failure and then drop the weight in order to perform extra sets/reps. This i have to say is very effective but NOT for the novice - stay with basic sets and weights until the gains slow up.
Your last point is always a problem - tiring a particular body part when trying to hit another. This problem can be reduced but not completely eliminated - if you work your chest the triceps/delts are "gonna get it" whatever you do.
Its all about trial and error - for me, chest and triceps dont go together - if i have done chest correctly the triceps will be in no fit shape to take on a workout.
Keep learning and good luck
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/24, 02:02 PM
I agree with finding whatever is right for your body. I have been struggling with what is the "proper" course of action to take for reps and weights. Now my biggest problem really is loosing the last 10 pounds. I have a great workout program and my eating habits have never been healthier. I am beginning to get bummed because I put in all this effort and nothing seems to be working for me and I try so hard. Now I can understand why because who are anorexic are the way they are. It seems as if the only other alternative for me is to stop eating 5 times a day and reduce my meals to a normal 3 times a day. Nothing else seems to be working. There is no magical way. And hard work is not paying off for me.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/02/25, 04:18 PM
I danced for 18 years and then went to college and gained the "freshman 15." Now that I am out of college I am not really gaining weight other than muscle but I have developed some cellulite from my college years. I am frustrated because I am so faithful with eating right and also exercising and I have been for about 4 years straight now. I wonder if my body is just telling me that I have reached a plateau. But I refuse to believe that because I still see cellulite and it shouldn't be there with proper exercise and diet.
mkegmn
mkegmn
United States
2004/07/08, 10:21 PM
I am a beginner at lifting weights. I am a big guy and I am pretty strong. I am wanting to know what weight I should start off with and how many reps. I can dead lift about 300 lbs.
brianm1002
brianm1002
United States
2004/07/19, 12:33 PM
Lucy,
(First off, I'm not Brian, I am Christina. Anywho...) How tall are you? You might just be trying to lose weight that you aren't supposed to be losing. What is your Body mass index, your total body fat? You can figure it out at the website below. Have a cloth measuring tape on hand (or a long non-stretch string that you can use and then measure on a hard tape measure). I know I feel SO fat when I look in the mirror or try to put on my old clothes (like the last couple years). Especially when I gain 2 or 3 pounds. I can feel it, physically and emotionally. The reality is, though, that I am very skinny. I have a total body fat percentage of less than 16. (That is great.) My problem is self-image and self-esteem. I don't compare to the anorexic models and teenagers so I feel fat. What I am doing is using this knowledge to try and bring out a positive self-image. I am working on toning muscles, not losing fat. (Even though my thighs are HUGE in my mind!!) I am concentrating on how I feel about myself after a workout (Strong, powerful, like I accomplished something). I am also working the rest of my body: my mind and my soul. Yoga is helping to center me, while Bible Study is helping to ground me. My advice is that maybe you don't need to be looking at your body; maybe it is your mind and soul that need some flexing so that you can see just how powerful and wonderful your body is. Another thing I like to do is note when I see women who look good but are not "skinny." Olympiads, businesswomen, anyone with a good attitude, a good smile, strong but sleek muscles: those are the people I decide to emulate. I avoid Cosmo, TV and other sources of bad images that I don't want to live like. Maybe a personal trainer would be a good source of motivation and balance. Here is a good starting point (for your target body fat, nutritional intake, etc): http://in2nutrition.com/lifetimefitness/

============
Quoting from lucyladybug:
I am only 123 but a few months ago I was 116 and this is quite disturbing to me. I know that many girls would be happy at this weight but when you have been fairly thin your whole life it is quite discouraging to put on even those 7 pounds.
cubbie80
cubbie80
United States
2005/01/03, 06:11 PM
hows it going everybody! I new and i see that you guys are helpful with questions! I have one, in the weight category it is blank because i am guessing it does not know what weight you are working with! The top weight I have in dumbells are 40 lbs and in plates 45 lbs! So should i start off big and work down or small then work up! i am trying to beef up so what do you guys recommend?
crispy01
crispy01
United States
2005/01/05, 03:21 PM
Because the only way to build muscle is to tear it down, and then rebuild with proper diet and rest, I recommend that you lift heavy weights. I do 4 set workouts. My first set is 65% of my max and I do 10-12 reps. My second set is 75% of my max and I do 8-10 reps. Then my third set is 80% of my max and I do 6-8 reps. Then my final set I go down to 60% of my max and lift til failure. You must remember when building muscle diet is a major factor, most people agree that it is more important than exercise. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and healthy carbs, especially right after a workout.
crispy01
crispy01
United States
2005/01/21, 03:34 PM
Before my workout (about 45- 1 hour) I will have food with a good dose of protein and some carbs. An apple and a some beef jerky for example. I try stay away from fat on my pre workout snack because I feel sluggish when I do eat fat. My post workout snack is a protein shake. I have this within thirty minutes of finishing my workout. All I do is mix the powder with water. I have also learned on this site that the protein is better digested if drank this way: chug half of it right away and then sip the rest during the next 30-45 minutes.
77JasonA
77JasonA
United States
2005/05/05, 03:16 PM
I know this is a stupid question but when you are just starting out with weight training how do you know where to start?
fastpacenation
fastpacenation
United Kingdom
2005/05/09, 10:55 AM

============
Quoting from 77jasona:

I know this is a stupid question but when you are just starting out with weight training how do you know where to start?
=============

Start here, put in your goals hight and weight and out comes a program, follow it for 8-12 weeks have a break and start again.

I would recomend writing down what you do, reps, weight and sets.

Also somthing I wish I did was take a picture of yourself before you start and then after your training period is over.

I also wish I had measured my chest, biceps, waist and thighs so could check them say half way through, and at end.

These will help you see progress because it is a slow proccess and a gradual thing, some times I feel I havent gained much others I do.

Stay away from too many suppliments at first, and ask for advice when you need it.

Also start slowly, when you are a beginer you allways wanna lift big, but without good technique its pointless.

Good luck!
fastpacenation
fastpacenation
United Kingdom
2005/05/09, 11:04 AM
sorry didn't write that too well but hope you get the jist, the writing down of stuff helps you moniter what you did where you can add weight etc.

Measuring yourself helps show progress, eg your arms gained an inch, rather than just they look bigger/not bigger. especially if you are somone that is hard on themselves.
PrtyLtlHtMchne
PrtyLtlHtMchne
United States
2005/05/16, 03:40 PM
I'm glad I finally found this because my post in the other forum was ignored.
MIMI1975
MIMI1975
United States
2005/05/19, 02:21 PM
I am trying to lose about 40 pds. With the lifting part of my routine, do i increase my weight with each set?
miss7683
miss7683
United States
2005/10/14, 08:05 AM
Is it ok to lift weights every other day?......
sneaks55
sneaks55
United States
2006/05/05, 10:30 PM

============
Quoting from carivan:

Keep up what you are doing Lucyladybug. It is normal to put on the xtra weight when you do resistance training. Once the muscle is there, it will help burn away your fatty tissue. The gain only means It's working for you.

Re: this, how long does it take?? I am also seeing weight gain & clothes fitting tighter after starting weights- 6 mos ago. I am a runner who wanted to tone my upper body, inner thighs, abs. I run less now that I am doing weights. I am considering stopping weights altogether to get back to my thinner self-- or should I lift lighter weights?? I like my arms & have added muscle there, but I feel "thick" everywhere else! What do I DO? I'm a total newbie at weights!!

=============
:(:(
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/05/06, 05:47 PM
Take a look at your diet sneaks. If you're gaining weight, you're taking in too many calories.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
TP406
TP406
United States
2007/08/17, 10:25 PM
I've been working out for close to 2 years now consistently every day. I've noticed that I've gotten toned & more defined, but I hit a point in my work outs were I just don't seem like I'm getting bigger or toned anymore. I'm doing a 3 sets of 10 workout. Generally doing chest/tri, back/bi,legs/shoulders & stomach every day. I basiclly can do good with the weight factor comparied to my body weight, but I'm doing like at least 18-20 sets of 10 on each muscle per work out. Would I be better off swichting up & doing more weight and less reps & sets of exercise for each muscle? And would I be better off switching up with what muscles I work out each time I work out. Should I take a day off in between workouts & do cardio on those days off? I stuck here & need some help please. Especially about the sets vs reps issue to get more mass & the amount of time I wait inbetween reps as well. sos some one help me out.

--------------
Tony.P.
debherwalt
debherwalt
Canada
2008/07/13, 08:31 PM
I have never done anythng like this before. I am seeing a lot of the same question. What weight size do I start at? My body parts still need to work after the work out!!:laugh:

--------------
Deborah