Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

How do I lose the love handles??

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
Baberim
Baberim
United States
2003/03/24, 02:08 PM
PLEASE HELP ME...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING!
whitortiz111
whitortiz111
United States
2003/03/24, 02:46 PM
Try doing some cardio about 5 times a week which is a pretty good way to help shed pounds as well as watching your diet. Also try some regular crunches, try lying on your back with your legs folded to one side and do crunches towards the middle (switch legs to each side) to work sides. Also try reverse crunches (start sitting up and start to go down like you would lay down and half way down, sit back up while holding your arms out in front of you. Hope this helps.
whitortiz111
whitortiz111
United States
2003/03/24, 02:47 PM
Try doing some cardio about 5 times a week which is a pretty good way to help shed pounds as well as watching your diet. Also try some regular crunches, try lying on your back with your legs folded to one side and do crunches towards the middle (switch legs to each side) to work sides. Also try reverse crunches (start sitting up and start to go down like you would lay down and half way down, sit back up while holding your arms out in front of you. Hope this helps.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/03/24, 03:16 PM
Cardio and eating a clean, proper diet will ensure that you achieve the results you are looking for.
Baberim
Baberim
United States
2003/03/24, 03:19 PM
ok...really really new. Im just trying to lose pounds and tone up. What is a good diet to stick to?? Any suggestions?

============
Quoting from whitortiz111:

=============
whitortiz111
whitortiz111
United States
2003/03/24, 03:42 PM
I sent you an e-mail (too long and detailed for the board here). Good luck to you.
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2003/03/25, 11:27 AM
a good diet is one that is 'normal' for you- just less of it... make small life changes, like white bread to wholemeal. chicken more often than beef, fish as much as you can, no chips ever. But reward yourself weekly for sticking to your goal.
I eat a lot of tuna, sardine, salmon instead of beef, pork. veggies and fruit are good. I'm just about to try out green tea as it's suppossed to heat up the metabolism, and kelp too- try a supplement as an aid, psychologically it may help as long as you are aware that what you eat is what you are.
Lolly911
Lolly911
United States
2004/03/14, 04:08 PM
Im looking to do the same with my lovehandles and it sucks :)

--------------
\"nothing ruins the taste of peanutbutter like unrequited love\"
thatgurl101
thatgurl101
United States
2004/04/08, 12:30 AM
Hi. Im new here and kind of young. I am 18 and I was wondering if anybody could give me any ideas of how to lose weight around my thights and stomach? :cool:

Thankz!
vdawgus
vdawgus
Canada
2004/04/09, 07:07 AM
you cant just "lose" your love handles, or what you call "spot training"... it is a bunch of things. A regular good diet will help, want a example, Dr. Phil's im using it and I cut my handles down. Crunches as well will help BUT..you have to understand how your progresses. Bodies will loose weight in this manner. First in your face, then your outter limbs, then LAST, which kinda sucks i know, is your mid-section...and its the hardest to work, so stick with diet crunches and cardio...after about 2-3 months you will be happy with the changes
iloveme7708
iloveme7708
United States
2004/06/10, 01:46 PM

============
Quoting from baberim:

PLEASE HELP ME...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING!

=============
heres what you do to lose those love handles in 2 weeks.. to re-shape that waste line..
-take 2 dumbells, or leggweights, and hold them in your right hand, stand strait with legs shoulder width apart, bend to the side until the weight touches your knee, come back up, and repeat 25 times per side. then switch, gradually working your way up too 100 per day (each side) I've only been doin this excercise for 3 days, and i already see results happening, *and just in time for summer*
Hope i helped! :love:
muscletruck58
muscletruck58
Australia
2004/06/18, 05:17 AM
hi, Im also a newbie here. Im 18 and I want to lose a little bit of weight around my tummy and love handles. Basically just tone up that annoying spare tyre thats finally got to me. I am going awauy in November and would really like tolook good in a swimsuit because ill be on the beach 24x7:) please, can you give me some advice on how to make me look FANTASTIC in 5 months, i will do any amount of exercise, lol, cheers..... ALL YOU OTHERS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :big_smile:
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/07/23, 05:09 AM
Please ignore this post -in the absence of any mods I am bumping all posts up the line to bury some offensive posts
oscarg
oscarg
United States
2004/06/19, 11:45 AM
Eat the right food, more often but in smaller amounts to get your metabolism going faster. You can also incorporatre some combination lifting (or supersets) to get a more intense workout using free-weights. You simply combiune two exercises but doing one and moving onto the second without resting. Another thing you may wanna try is taking spinning classes. I hate to admit it but I tried them out for a wk or 2 and they will help you lose fat. They run about 45-60min non-stop and will have you drenched in sweat by the end, but you feel like your in a high. Three months of doing all this and you will have lost those handles.
JessieM
JessieM
United States
2004/07/09, 06:30 PM
I need to lose the love handles and extra bulge on my thighs fast in like 4 weeks tops, anyone have any suggestions? Please help me!
bbronswyk2000
bbronswyk2000
Canada
2004/07/17, 12:58 AM
the only way-----surgery. Everything else takes time and dedication

============
Quoting from JessieM:

I need to lose the love handles and extra bulge on my thighs fast in like 4 weeks tops, anyone have any suggestions? Please help me!
=============
Auron_Gaidin
Auron_Gaidin
United States
2004/08/05, 04:07 AM
I'm about 25 pounds overweight, whats the fastest and most efficient way to lose it?

--------------
~The meaning of life is life itself~
2004/08/10, 02:25 AM
cardio is the way for anyone wanting to lose weight, as well as a diet. I used to eat alot of crap food, but i just started eating well and lost 6 kgs in a month or so.lost alot of fat around the stomach. but you then reach a point where you are going to have to do the cardio aswell.also do some resistance training on the thighs.
goldengloves
goldengloves
United States
2004/08/10, 09:38 AM
If you cut your calories and eat right and RUN everyday a good bit 3-10 miles sounds good, I guarantee you that by the next week you start it, You will have shed 5 pounds and feel great!......

I've lost weight in my arms/legs/midsection/face in that order...I still have a bit of fat on my midsection but My bodyfat is like 10% now! it was 15% about 5 weeks ago!!!!...I would say it is good to do the ab routines even though it will make your stomach be bigger before you cut the fat, But if you can get your body fat down to around 12% or lower, That would be a good time to start doing ab exercises, By the time you lower that bodyfat down to 10 or below (which is when abs are supposed to be showing through) you wont have the bulge and would have already cut the fat!
wellbeing
wellbeing
Canada
2004/08/11, 01:08 PM
is there any diet that worked good for anyone out there... i mean i want to do a diet that does not starve me and lets me eat good food like fruit and stuff ... i want to lose about 20 pounds with no weight limit ... im 5'9 and 165 i really want to lose weight so i can feel better about myself please help!!!
bobby345
bobby345
United States
2004/12/06, 01:02 AM
:angry: i need to get rid of those love handles but how!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!
wee_chezzie
wee_chezzie
United Kingdom
2005/01/09, 10:26 AM
:love:hey every one am new here im really young!! but like it matters were all worried about the way we look and lets face it :angry: loosing weight isnt lifes easiest task :( Anyway i dont wanna repeat what other people have already asked and im not living in a fantasy world id be willing to work hard for it! OK id rather it was fast because im going on holiday and the only thing making me depressed is the way i will look at the pool.... So sorry iv wrote a long story here goes......:big_smile::love: How is it possible for me to lose these stupid LOVE HANDLES and my front mid section??? also how do i lose weight on my thighs the main problem though is my love handles oh! and im stupit so can u tell me what cardios and crunches are plz!!? LOL thankyou sooo much!! gd luck all with ur weight problems oh and please please please can u reply to this message? :love:
bluecandy548
bluecandy548
United States
2005/01/27, 11:37 AM
:love: Hello everyone, THis is my first day here, and like all of you........I have one goal......LOSE THE EXTRA POUNDS...I would like for someone to to plz plz plz send me a workout plan that worked for them, so i could lose some weight fast, it doesn't matter how much time it takes, as i could lose my retarded love handles before march. pretty pretty please...someone help:love:
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2005/01/27, 12:38 PM

It seems that this question just never sinks in with people. Do you want to know the secret to a fit body, and losing your love handles..well read on.

First off get rid of the idea that you can only work out for 15-20 minutes a day, targetting an area and lose the fat from that area. I'm afraid we've all been subjected to far too many informercials advocating this crap!

If you have unsightly love handles, then you have excess fat on your body. You need to lose weight...PERIOD. Weight loss occurs differntly for everyone, but typically in men, its the spare tire, and love handles that go last, and in women its the hips and thighs. If you want to have a flat stomach, you need to lose weight, and become more fit.

Think of this as a life change, not a goal, that once reached you can forget about, and go back to your old ways, because you Old love handles will be back in not time!

Ok, so on to topics of losing weight. First off, you need to correct your diet. If you have love handles, then its because your not eating properly, or your eating in excess of your maintance calories. You need to change up your eating habits, and spark up your metabolism. The first thing you need to start doing, is eating smaller more frequent meals. Always eat first thing in the morning, and eat about 5-6 small meals a day. Eat balanced, and healthy foods. I won't get into what the diet should be, search this site, there is tons of info. The biggest thing to remember, is you need a caloric defecit. You can eat healthy and as often as you want, if your eating enough calories for your maintance level, you will stay the same weight. You should also be taking in at least 8 Glasses of cold water a day.

Ok, so unfortunately thats not enough to do it alone. You will also need to get on a weight routine, and do cardio. Again, these are quite personal, everyone is at a different level, so set something up for yourself that is apporiate for your level of fitness. Maybe 3 days of weights is too much, or not enough for you. setup a good work out plan that suites you, and you will succeed. Cardio is important in this phase (weight loss) you should aim for 30-60 minutes 3-5x's a week. If you have been largely inactive for a period of time, start off where you can, and push yourself to get to the 60 minute mark. Don't get on the treadmill and breeze through your cardio, you will get nowhere quick. Push your limits each day, by small amounts, until you are in the kind of shape that you can do 60 minutes. Also I suggest using different Cardio machines, or methods. Don't use the same workout day in and day out.

For those who are serious about actually becoming fit, and losing weight, you need to do some research, and learn as much as you can. There is no easy fix, and if your looking for it, and not committed to actually doing what you need to do, you will fail.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on anything in here.

Speeder
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/27, 01:08 PM
I agree with everyhting except the cardio. In my opinion they would benefit more from 20 minutes of HIIT than they would of 60 minutes of cardio. When doing regular cardio your body burns calories as it works, HIIT on the other hand continues to burn calories even after you are finished.

--------------
I agree with everything that Asimmer says.
Speeder
Speeder
Canada
2005/01/27, 01:21 PM
I actually wanted to mention HIIT, however forgot when submitting the post. Although as a note, you should probably only attempt HIIT if you are already in fairly decent physical condition. Everyone is different, and you will have to use some trial and error to find out what works for you. I usually do a sort of HIIT, I guess it's more called intervals, where I push myself for 5 minutes quite hard, and then bring the heart rate down for 2-3, and push hard for another 5, I will keep this up for 30-45 minutes. Let me tell you its a great work out. I have tried some HIIT, but not long enough to see any great weight loss benefits. If you are physically fit enough, a combination of both would probably be a great option! But any form of cardio is better than not doing any!!!!!!

============
Quoting from hecdarec:

I agree with everyhting except the cardio. In my opinion they would benefit more from 20 minutes of HIIT than they would of 60 minutes of cardio. When doing regular cardio your body burns calories as it works, HIIT on the other hand continues to burn calories even after you are finished.

=============
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2005/01/27, 01:29 PM
I agree, I also like to do intervals. usually it is track work.

--------------
I agree with everything that Asimmer says.
gbaser
gbaser
Antigua And Barbuda
2005/02/16, 11:47 PM
actually although I am not an expert I wanted to comment on the HIIT. As a runner, HIIT is more like a "speed training" session. Which you are supposed to do only once a week. Most benefits come from "easy and long" cardio sessions. both for your heart and for endurance. So once a week you can hit the hills, do a speed session or do a tempo run -or similar- to get your heart rate up to 160-180 sometimes 200 for very fit people. However, I really think more than once a week might hurt knees, joint etc. Or it will be a hard cardio session all the time and person who is doing it will not look forward to the next one...

again... some people might workout only to lose weight -which I don't agree with-. Working out should be fun, enjoyable and interesting to become a lifestyle. Noone can give it all everyday and if they do they will burnout. Weight loss will come eventually as an additional benefit.
he_the_mystery
he_the_mystery
Pakistan
2005/02/17, 07:09 AM
hi

i joined this site in january this year. I am not experienced like these people but i have reduced my waist 5 inches in 8 days time.

I have started again my workout in january and in the end of month i started a diet which helped me alot.

I started taking oly boil vegetable including cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, peas, shimla chilli, with chicken stalk and small boneless chicken pieces in it. i felt hungry most of the time so i started eating 1 plate each time i feel hungry. that made me weak after 8 th day so i started taking normal diet again but the result was 5 inches loss of waist.

Then one doctor adviced me to take boil pulses along with that vegetable so i have started it again for last 3 days and this time i feel am not losing any power and reducing weight.

I have tried it on my own and its recently so why dont you try it too and let me know if it works wiht you or not
Luzfit
Luzfit
United States
2005/02/17, 09:47 AM
I am still working on my LoveHandles.. I've started HIIT and I love it.. 3rd week.. I need it cuz.. its harder for me to lose fat cuz of age, 43 but I wont give up.
This websites been helpful.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/02/17, 11:36 AM
Ahhh, 43 is nothing! You will have no problems losing those love handles. Stay with it. With your attitude(won't give up), you will achieve your goals.

============
Quoting from luzfit:

I am still working on my LoveHandles.. I've started HIIT and I love it.. 3rd week.. I need it cuz.. its harder for me to lose fat cuz of age, 43 but I wont give up.
This websites been helpful.
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
body-worth
body-worth
United States
2005/02/28, 10:56 PM
HI, I'm new to this sight and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me about a diet plan that had worked for them. I just started exercing again I I'm trying to improve my eating habits. I'm 22 next month and 165 pounds. I trying to lose about 15 lbs any advice?
he_the_mystery
he_the_mystery
Pakistan
2005/03/01, 09:47 AM
hi all

i started my workout from 7th of jan 2005 and till now my waist is gone from 46 to 36. i do workout very hard but no abs exercises at all. i think i lose my love handle cuz of diet. i just take boil veg and boil pulses. i take this diet for 8 days and then i feel weak so i start normal meal again after a week when i get my power back i go for same boil veg and pulses. thats how i lost so much weight.

froggiesgrl
froggiesgrl
Germany
2005/04/27, 04:56 AM

Boiled vegetables and ?? pulses??
please elaborate for me. I have no idea what a pulse is
suzieqt33
suzieqt33
United States
2005/04/27, 04:38 PM
To get the FACTS on exactly how, what & when to eat and how to train to achieve maximum fat loss, without losing muscle or slowing down your metabolism... AND to discover the shocking truth about the diet, weight loss and supplement industries, click here:
http://hop.clickbank.net/hop.cgi?stormcat22/burnthefat

I used to be a big "Body For Life" advocate, however, this plan is much more complete, along with fitness guides and bonuses such as "how to measure your own body fat". It truly works! After being in a rut on BFL, I started this program and lost 38 lbs within 4 months!!
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2005/04/28, 02:27 PM
Ever hear about the 3 apples a day diet?

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
Klyon
Klyon
United States
2005/05/24, 07:09 PM
I am only 14 years old and i have weighed up to 207 lbs. I have lost 35 lbs becuase i choked on food and had truamma to my trachea. I couldnt eat for a month. But for the last week i have ben getting better and i am able to eat. I have ben soooo happy with the weight ive lost. Evry one had noticed, every one thinks that once i loose alot more weight i will be gorgious. I agree, but ever since ive ben able to eat agian ive only put on 2 more lbs. I was devistated. I weigh 175 now. I have ben dieting my hole life and i have never lost over 10 lbs. I need advise i need to know how to do it. I wanna loose weight and be happy. I am sick and tired of people talking behind my back just becuase im bigger than them. I have ben bullied and its getting old. I realy want to loose this weight. I need help..
babydolwv
babydolwv
United States
2005/05/24, 11:25 PM
klyon first thing that is the best thing go to the very top and click fitness plan and fill out a profile... and in that same area you can fill out your fitness routine... that will help you out alot as well... I will tell you right now the one thing other than cardio and doing the exercises it provides for u... the ppl and the ft trainers will tell you and stand by is that u must control what you eat.... must be a clean diet!!

--------------
God wont give you anything you cant handle!
robert81978
robert81978
United Kingdom
2005/05/29, 01:31 PM
hello I need help, I have put on two stone in weight on my stomach and butt since stopping smoking four months ago, can anyone help with what I should be eating to help me lose weight, or what exercises to do in the certain parts that I need to lose weight from? I feel very unconfortable with my self and losing confidence the more weight i put on!
Ricka2006
Ricka2006
United States
2006/01/26, 01:21 PM
I have been dieting and excercising for a while now and I seem to be gaining weight instead of losing and I don't know why can anyone help me?:(

--------------
Ricka
moniqueka
moniqueka
United States
2006/07/14, 04:56 PM
how do you lose back fat
Whitegts
Whitegts
United States
2006/07/19, 12:29 AM
I really didn't read most of the thread but,moniqueka the best information I or anyone else can give you is to do plenty of cardio. You need to also focus on your diet cause the age old expression abs are made in the kicthen also applys to most all areas of the body. Just think big picture, but always take baby steps. :big_smile:
Fatman1988
Fatman1988
United States
2006/09/09, 12:53 PM
how many crunches should a very large guy do in a day?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/09/09, 01:03 PM
I'd say as many as you are comfortable doing....as long as you aren't feeling any pain anywhere...just the burn in the abs...as many as you feel comfortable with...
And welcome to FT!~:)
confused18
confused18
United States
2006/10/31, 09:53 AM
okay i was preg not to long ago and i gained a lil weight and i lost the baby but i still have the midsection to try and tone up any help?:)
Mandithing
Mandithing
United States
2006/11/12, 04:28 PM
okay i got huge love handles, the rest of me is okay but i just focus on my love handles, how do i get rid of them?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/12, 04:33 PM
mandithing - you'll get rid of your love handles when you get everything in order, especially your diet. That one has been answered a couple of thousand times but the link below has the results to get you started.

http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/search_main.jsp?query=love+handles
squaru
squaru
Kenya
2007/01/27, 03:54 AM
Hi guys, am having trouble with the belly fat. Any ideas how to lose it at home, cant really afford to go to a gym. Plase help me, squaru2003@yahoo.com.
ooangibabioo
ooangibabioo
United States
2007/02/02, 10:07 PM
i recently gave birth to a baby boy and im having a really hard time losing the baby weight. does anyone have any diets that will be easy to maintain while still taking care of my little one... i also joined a gym but ive never worked out in my life and i cant afford one of their personal trainers, is there anyway for me to use the machines and lose weight?!
mrsbonkers
mrsbonkers
Canada
2007/02/20, 08:12 PM

I had one baby nearly 3 years ago, and the second a year ago. I also have that unwanted fat around the belly. What I did was sign up of a free fitness program on this site, which I started on Monday, and I'm also doing a 12 week abdominal routine. I'm planning on looking buff for the summer.

What I recommend is that if you aren't getting a full night sleep, or if you are nursing, don't reduce your calories too much, you need them!
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last