Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

HELP...please

Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/16, 06:09 PM
Hello everyone! I have a question. My roomate bought me a case of commercial yogurt in attemt to save me some money. Unfortunately, sugar is the second and fourth ingredient on the label leading to 27grams of sugar. I eat one serving of yogurt a day...and was wondering if this would prolong my desired results. Other than this yogurt, which i now own a case of, my diet is really clean. I eat 5 to 6X a day, drink 10 cups of water daily, I do HIIT cardio 4-5X a week and strength train 3 days a week

I'm 5'2, 120lbs, 17.5%bf and would love to see the cellulite on the upper back of my legs disapear.

Will sugar hinder my progress? Should I toss the yogurt?

Thanks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/16, 10:39 PM
Sugar will definitely hinder your progress. Reason being, blood sugar rises, thus insulin surges. Insulin as you may know is your "storage" hormone and is bad, unless utilized at the correct time like after workout. In order to not throw away all your yogurt, try to eat it first thing in the morning when you are more insulin sensitive anyway. Have some protein with it, and it may even aid you. Try to avoid it the rest of the day if you are trying to burn fat.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/17, 01:13 PM
Great! Thank you. I'll start eating it first thing in the morning before I work out.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/10/18, 02:33 AM
No don't throw it away but keep for just after work out where your body will need the sugar (or as Ron said, in the mornings).
I often eat sugar. Never in big quantities but then again quite often; some dried food, a soja yogurt with jam, a cookie........
My body fat % doesn't change much during the year (except if I have a show) I stay at 15-16%
Okey, every person has his or her own metabolism but still with all the training you are doing, I cannot really see a huge problem in eating some sugar once in a while.
Good luck with your goal!!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/18, 02:21 PM
Great response as usual Philia. You are exactly correct. The thing you need to achieve though is what I am sure Philia and I and people that do this all the time already have, and that is insulin sensitivity instead of insulin resistance. This way you can have a little sugar during the day without any harm. The idea is becoming insulin sensitive first, meaning that your pancreas will secrete less and less insulin in response to sugars instead of too much, and you know the effects of this. This is achieved by eating lean proteins, fibrous carbs and lots of veggies for a while. These are very low glycemic, and will "teach" your body that it doesn't need to secrete as much insulin. This may help...

The higher your muscular insulin sensitivity the better off you will be! Simply put it means that your muscle cells are more sensitive to the effects of insulin and therefore your body does not need to release as much after a meal, in order to carry nutrients to your cells.

Muscular Resistance Explained - This is the complete opposite! Insulin resistance refers to your muscle cells being resistant to the effects of insulin. In turn your body must release more insulin in response to the consumption of food. The more insulin resistant your muscle cells are, the more insulin your body will release from its pancreas to promote storage of nutrients in them.

Seeing how our goal is to keep insulin levels to a minimum, we will want to promote insulin sensitivity and manipulate it to our benefit! The question of the day is, how can we accomplish this?

Step One: It has been proven that a diet moderate in highly fibrous carbs can increase insulin sensitivity in the muscle cells. Which is why we will stick with foods such as oatmeal, and fibrous green vegetables. The reason for this, is that your body will not overproduce insulin in response to these slow burning carbohydrates. Remember, the less fiber and the more processed the food you eat is, the more likely you are to cause an overproduction of insulin, because of how quickly the food is digested. If you continually do this, your muscle cells will become more and more resistant to the effects of insulin. However, the opposite also holds true. Your cells will become more and more sensitive when exposed to slower burning carbs.

Hope this makes sense. You may have to read it a few times, but well worth the reading. Imparitive to diet success, and may open your eyes to what transgresses with what you eat.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/10/20, 01:48 PM
Thank all of you for your informative responses. The information you've provided is very clear. This will help me make better choices in the future. Thanks again =)