Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Heavy Backpack

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/12/12, 08:16 AM
I carry around a fairly heavy backpack (20-30lb) on a regular basis and wonder if that would put me at risk for chronic back problems.

I usually pivot my upper body downwards at the hips, keeping my back straight, to more comfortably distribute the weight and wonder if that would help.
immovablestone
immovablestone
United States
2007/12/12, 08:24 AM
Throughout school when I was younger (grades 4-12, plus college) I always carried all my books with me and never used a locker. That sucker got heavy at times, but my back is fine. That may not hold true for everyone, however.

--------------
DEFENSE! - Bas Rutten
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2007/12/12, 01:42 PM
I'm not even feeling the pressure in my back when I lean forward like I mentioned (not arching the back) so I'm not really that worried.
I just recall awhile back when there was alot of talk about the link between a heavy backpack and back problems on the news and other sources.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/12/12, 05:30 PM
That's a loaded question. For one, try to take the advice of the 5'oclock news sparingly when it comes to health related concerns. However, there is valid reasoning behind it.

In considering the risks associated with wearing a heavy backpack, you must take into consideration the fact that the spine can handle HUGE loads in compression, but the loads it can handle in torsion (rotation, flexion, etc) are relatively small. So the way I look at it, is that the load is not likely the cause of the problems, but rather the load coupled with rotational and torsional movements. Most students are out of shape and don't have the core musculature needed to stabilize the spine in these movements.

However, rather than correcting the problem through exercise, you get a "60 Minutes" special on how your child shouldn't have so much homework.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk