Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Healthy Fast Food???

brie0016
brie0016
United States
2007/05/22, 12:34 AM
I work in a busy Pharmacy. We hardly ever get breaks, so it is mostly eating on the run. I try to pack my lunch, but I get roped into eating fast food with everyone else. Fast food is my biggest weakness. Any ideas on how I can pass on the fast food? Or even better get everyone else at my work to watch what they are eating?
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 03:02 AM
Just say no!!!!

In order to lose weight you have to eat clean, and that means making smarter eating choices on a daily basis. Try packing healthy snacks. If you'll eat healthy for a few weeks you won'rt believe how much better you'd feel!!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/22, 08:33 AM
I doubt you can get everyone at your work to start eating healthy. They have to make that decision on their own.

Focus more on yourself, why would you buy lunch if you brought your lunch? Sounds like it would get expensive to do that.

You don't have to give it up 100%, just make sure that you're making good choices when you do have fast food. Grilled chicken sandwiches, salads w/ healthy or no dressing, stay away from everything fried and regular soda also.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/05/22, 10:56 PM
Careful with the salads at fast food places... the lettuce they use has essentially no nutrients in it. I believe they use typical head lettuce. Romaine or something greener is the way to do. Also, just cuz you get a package of salad dressing, doesn't mean you need to use it all. Half is usually good.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 11:00 PM
And there is such a thing as fat-free dressings :)

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/05/22, 11:16 PM
i ate *out* for lunch throughout my whole loss of 60+ pounds until recently...however, this means i wasnt eating *clean*..but did i continue to loose weight?..yes!!!! and i rarely ate any of the salads cause it left me feeling empty..and sometimes they were full of more calories than some of the sandwiches etc.....

i use to eat the subway wraps til they changed the actual wrap recently...now they use a regular tortilla..so i switched to eating the wheat bread..only like 5g of carbs or so difference from eating the new *wrap*...

Mcdonalds- premium grilled chicken sandwich..the kaiser roll is the lesser of the two evils between that and the hamburger patty...also, no mayo add mustard...sometimes i would order two sandwiches and only eat half the bun of each...whatever fit into my macro..

Wendys- chili...chili..chili...grilled chicken sandwich..no mayo..noooo mayo.....baked potato...careful of those carbs..

chinese-...steamed veggies with either chicken or shrimp..tell them no rice...that way you wont be tempted to eat the white rice..white rice isnt the end of all ends..just eat a very very small amount (about 1/2 c) if you feel compelled..

taco bell- chicken enchrito..fresco style..add red sauce..soft chicken tacos...noooo sour cream.....FRESCO!!!!!

arbys- medium sandwich...grilled chicken..no mayo...ham and swiss...stay far away from those fancy sandwiches..they are *loaded*...

most fast food restraunts have nutrition calculators on their websites...this will help you determine what you can eat to keep within your macro...however..plz remember..that most of the breads will have processed flour..and processed meat is pretty crappy to be honest..

can it be done?...yes!!!...but do i feel better now that i bring my lunch consisting of *clean* foods?..yes!!!...i treat myself to wendys chili on Wednesdays....meat is not lean and who knows what it really is..lol..but i need my fast food fix..hahhaha
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 11:19 PM
Velasca, sounds like a good time to send them toward my post on "Diets" hehe
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/05/22, 11:25 PM
yeah...unfortunately we must all take baby steps to get to the point of eating completely *clean*..and we all have different goals and lifestyles that may not require that...and somebody has to keep these companies in business..hahahaha... as long as ppl try to make the best choices possible its all we can hope for...then maybe it will encourage them to take the next step... :D
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/05/22, 11:30 PM
Dunno where I read this..so take it with a grain of salt. BUt fat fre salad dressing aren't always the best option. Why? Some vitamans are fat soluable....meaning they need SOME fat....to be properly absorbed by the body. So Low fat dressing would be a better option....to helo absorb what lil nutrients a salad has.

As for healthy fast food.....thats tough....aside from grilled chicken salads.....there's subway. IF you have to you can go to KFC...if you peal the skin and fried stuff off....a chicken breast only has 1-2 g fat. Stick with the green beans, and baked beans....toss the biscuit.

Taco bell is ok....a ranchero chicken soft taco...has like 9 g fat...but order it fresco style...so they take out the cheese and sour cream..and they put extra lettice and tomato in it.

Anything grilled chicken or fish wise would be ok....i'd stay away from beef etc...since you don't know how lean it is.

Only other bad thing abotu fast food..is the sodium content...be wary...cause they use alot.

============
Quoting from conan_0822:

And there is such a thing as fat-free dressings :)

=============

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/22, 11:41 PM
Hadn't thought of that Andrew, good point!!

I will often make the assumption people here are looking for "weight loss" suggestions and not overall healthy eating advice!
Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/05/22, 11:49 PM
ahhh..yes..kfc....they do have grilled wraps too.but you have to ask for it without the dressing/sauce..and just add mustard..kinda bland tho :(

and yes andrew you are correct..fat free isnt always the best option..for my particular macro i watch my calories more so than my fat..cause usually what i eat so lean now a days...

and plllllz ppl..dont get me wrong..im not encouraging eating fast food..im just saying that it can be done..like conan said..not everyone that comes to this site wants to become a body builder..they might just want to learn how to eat healthy within their own lifestyle/means...

i will say again..that i feel and look better than ever now that ive cut out most of the fast food... hands down eating clean is the ultimate choice...
fouts
fouts
United States
2007/05/23, 06:52 PM
I would suggest to invest in tupperware, but here is an article from mens fitness about fast food.

The 50 best fast foods-and how we picked 'em
Fast food and healthy are rarely used in the same sentence. Ordering the most nutritious fast food often comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils. Just when a sandwich or salad is looking great in terms of calories and fat, the sodium it packs is often enough to induce high blood pressure on the spot. Even worse, when you find an option that's high in protein and low in carbs, it's also almost always notoriously low in dietary fiber. That said, there are many decent choices a guy can make when eating on the fly, and--surprise--not every one of them includes grilled chicken!
The criteria for making our list? The fast foods we chose had to have the highest levels of protein (and fiber, when possible) and the fewest grams of processed carbs, sodium, and fat. (True, not all fat is bad; however, when it comes to fast food, most of the fat you're getting is saturated, so it's smart to keep levels on the lower side when possible.) Although calories were less of an issue, we also eliminated any food that greatly exceeded the amount a young, active guy should be getting in any one meal.

MCDONALD'S

The company's arches may be golden, but its reputation for healthy food isn't. Even so, it is possible to eat at Mickey D's without inflating the spare tire around your midsection. In fact, now that the company has struck the words Super Size from its menu, McDonald's may be a leaner place to eat than at any time in its history. But while the entrees here have MF's seal of approval, you should order them alone, or with a side salad and diet soda or milk, and not with those ubiquitous--and ab-obliterating-(sorry, guys) fries.

* Chicken McGrill sandwich 400 calories, 38 g carbs, 27 g protein, 16 g fat, 1,010 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* California Cobb Salad with Grilled Chicken and Cobb Dressing 390 calories, 20 g carbs, 34 g protein, 20 g fat, 1,500 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Chicken Selects breast strips (3 pieces) 380 calories, 28 g carbs, 23 g protein, 20 g fat, 930 mg sodium, O g fiber

* Filet-O-Fish sandwich 400 calories, 42 g carbs, 14 g protein, 18 g fat, 640 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

BURGER KING

BK gets good grades for having a variety of fast-food fare you can sink your teeth into, including burgers, chicken, salad, and nuggets--all of which are big enough to satisfy your appetite without sending you out to shop for king-size clothing.

* Whopper Jr. 390 calories, 31 g carbs, 17g protein, 22 g fat, 550 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Chicken Whopper 570 calories, 48 g carbs, 38 g protein, 25 g fat, 1,410 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

Fire-Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad with Garlic-Parmesan Toast/Fat-Free Honey Mustard Dressing 320 calories, 36 g carbs, 22 g protein, 13 g fat, 1,240 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

Chicken Tenders with BBQ, Honey, or Sweet & Sour Sauce (8 pc.) 380 calories, 29 g carbs, 22 g protein, 19 g fat, 1,230 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

WENDY'S

It's a credit to founder Dave Thomas that Wendy's has always been the leader when it comes to offering the healthiest fast food. Their latest entry in the field--the fresh-fruit bowl (including grapes, pineapple, melon, and strawberry yogurt) pairs well with any of these MF-approved options:

* Mandarin Chicken Salad with Low-Fat Dressing 280 calories, 38 g carbs, 23 g protein, 5 g fat, 820 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* Classic Single 430 calories, 37 g carbs, 25 g protein, 20 g fat, 890 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich 360 calories, 44 g carbs, 31 g protein, 7 g fat, 1,090 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Large Chili with 2 tbsp of shredded cheddar cheese 400 calories, 36 g carbs, 29 g protein, 15 g fat, 1,280 mg sodium, 8 g fiber

KFC

Slim pickings at the former Kentucky Fried Chicken. But what do you expect from a place with the word fried in its name? Still, there are some options worth ordering when you hit the home of Colonel Sanders:

* Oven-Roasted Twister Sandwich 520 calories, 46 g carbs, 29 g protein, 23 g fat, 1,400 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* Honey-BBQ Sandwich 300 calories, 41 g carbs, 22 g protein, 6 g fat, 920 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

* Roasted Caesar Salad with Hidden Valley Golden Italian Light Dressing 226 calories, 14 g carbs, 29 g protein, 9 g fat, 1,200 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Tender-Roast Sandwich 270 calories, 23 g carbs, 31 g protein, 5 g fat, 690 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

SUBWAY

Size matters--and six inches is enough for a guy looking to curb calories without sacrificing protein. Not a sub kinda guy? Although you may not even know it's on the menu, the chain's spicy chili rocks, too.

* 6" Roast Beef 290 calories, 45 g carbs, 19 g protein, 5 g fat, 920 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* 6" Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast 330 calories, 47 g carbs, 24 g protein, 5 g fat, 1,020 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* 6" Sweet-Onion Chicken Teriyaki 380 calories, 59 g carbs, 26 g protein, 5 g fat, 1,230 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* 6" Cheese Steak 360 calories, 47g carbs, 24 g protein, 10 g fat, 1,100 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

* Chili Con Came 240 calories, 23 g carbs, 15 g protein, 10 g fat, 860 mg sodium, 8 g fiber

ARBY'S

Most roast beef can be fatty--but not the stuff you get at Arby's, which is lean enough to pack a hefty shot of muscle-building protein without carrying a huge boatload of calories. For a well-balanced meal, pair any of these sandwiches with a small Martha's Vineyard salad.

* Regular Roast Beef 320 calories, 34 g carbs, 21 g protein, 13 g fat, 950 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Jr. Roast Beef 270 calories, 34 g carbs, 16 g protein, 9 g fat, 740 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Giant Roast Beef 450 calories, 41 g carbs, 32 g protein, 19 g fat, 1,440 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

DUNKIN' DONUTS

D&D is more a glorified coffee shop than a place to get much of a meal. Still, with the chain rivaling Starbucks to see who can conquer the most city blocks, we decided to find out if it was possible to order a healthy breakfast while getting your morning cup of joe. Turns out it is.

* Ham Egg Cheese English Muffin Sandwich 310 calories, 34 g carbs, 21 g protein, 10 g fat, 1,270 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

* Egg Cheese Bagel Sandwich 470 calories, 71 g carbs, 23 g protein, 10 g fat, 1,190 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Egg Cheese Biscuit Sandwich 370 calories, 32 g carbs, 15 g protein, 20 g fat, 1,190 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

PIZZA HUT

Think pizza, and grease comes to mind. But not at Pizza Hut--if you order your pie correctly.

* Thin N Crispy Cheese Pizza (2 slices of 12" pie) 400 calories, 42 g carbs, 20 g protein, 16 g fat, 980 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* 1/2 P'Zone Classic with Green Pepper and Onion 540 calories, 71 g carbs, 30 g protein, 15 g fat, 1,020 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Spaghetti with Meat Sauce 640 calories, 92 g carbs, 23 g protein, 20 g fat, 1,610 mg sodium, 12 g fiber

* Spaghetti with Marinara 490 calories, 90 g carbs, 14 g protein, 8 g fat, 1,050 mg sodium, 10 g fiber

low-carb options

Despite what you may have heard, low-carb isn't over. If you're trying to lose weight, there's no better way to do it. But, we also know living on bun-less, ketchup-free burgers is boring. With that in mind, here are 14 fast foods you can order--each with 20 grams or less of carbohydrates per serving.

McDonald's

* Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken

* Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken

Burger King

* 5-piece Chicken Tenders with Ranch Dipping Sauce

* Fire-Grilled Chicken or Shrimp Caesar Salad with Creamy Garlic Caesar or Garden Ranch Dressing

* Low-Carb Angus Burger

Subway

* Wraps: Chicken Bacon Ranch; Savory Turkey Breast; Tuna; Turkey Bacon Melt

* Salad with Tuna

* Grilled Chicken Breast and Baby-Spinach Salad

Carl's Junior

* Charbroiled Chicken Salad-To-Go

* Low-Carb Six-Dollar Burger

* Low-Carb Chicken Club Sandwich

Sbarro

* Low-Carb Cheese Pizza (1 slice)

* Chicken Parmesan

KFC

* Roasted Caesar Salad with Italian Dressing

Screw Jared. All subs aren't lean and good for your diet. But they can be, if you order correctly. Stick to 6-inchers, no larger. Skip the mayo but ask for all the mustard you want--along with a double helping of lettuce, tomato, and onion. They'll make up for the missing spread and keep your sandwich moist.

Ordering diet soda can save you hundreds of calories per meal. If you need help making the switch, pour yourself a mixture of 25% diet and 75% regular. Then, gradually adjust the ratio until you're drinking all diet.

* Veggie-Lovers 6" Personal Pan Pizza 580 calories, 73 g carbs, 22 g protein, 23 g fat, 1,150 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

* Fit 'N Delicious Chicken and Veggie-Lovers Lower-Fat Pizza (3 slices of 12" pie) 480 calories, 63 g carbs, 27 g protein, 14 g fat, 1,380 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Fit 'N Delicious Ham and Veggie-Lovers Lower-Fat Pizza (3 slices of 12" pie) 450 calories, 60 g carbs, 21 g protein, 12 g fat, 1,380 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

TACO BELL

It's fairly easy to eat lean at Taco Bell. The only problem is that the best menu choices--while low cal--tend to run small when it comes to portion size, and are therefore sometimes low in protein. The simple solution: Order two or three servings, or pair them with a side of milk to push the protein grams past 20. (Always order your items "Fresco style." This ensures you get more salsa and less calorie-laden sour cream and cheese.)

* Grilled Steak Soft Taco 170 calories, 21 g carbs, 11 g protein, 5 g fat, 560 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Soft Taco Supreme, Beef 190 calories, 23 g carbs, 9 g protein, 8 g fat, 630 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Gordita Supreme, Chicken 230 calories, 28 g carbs, 15 g protein, 6 g fat, 510 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Gordita Nacho Cheese, Chicken 230 calories, 28 g carbs, 15 g protein, 6 g fat, 510 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Chalupa Supreme, Beef 330 calories, 31 g carbs, 11 g protein, 18 g fat, 580 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

* Zesty Chicken Border Bowl 480 calories, 62 g carbs, 21 g protein, 17 g fat, 1,460 mg sodium, 13 g fiber

* Mexican Pizza 450 calories, 47 g carbs, 14 g protein, 23 g fat, 850 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

* Bean Burrito 350 calories, 56 g carbs, 13 g protein, 8 g fat, 1,220 mg sodium, 9 g fiber

* Fiesta Burrito, chicken 350 calories, 49 g carbs, 16 g protein, 9 g fat, 1,100 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

SBARRO

Of all the fast-food places we surveyed, Sbarro came out on top when it came to easy ways to work fruits and vegetables into a fast meal. Any of the following can easily be combined with a side of mixed vegetables, fruit salad, or stringbean-and-tomato salad for a quick meal that hits all the required food groups.

* Fresh Tomato Pizza, 1 slice 450 calories, 60 g carbs, 20 g protein, 14 g fat, 1,040 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Cheese Pizza, 1 slice 460 calories, 60 g carbs, 24 g protein, 13 g fat, 1,080 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

* Chicken Vegetable Pizza, 1 slice 530 calories, 69 g carbs, 24 g protein, 17g fat, 1,260 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

* Chicken Parmesan 520 calories, 16 g carbs, 64 g protein, 22 g fat, 750 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

CARL'S JR. (AKA HARDEE'S) The chain may have two names, but no matter which branch you're visiting, the menu remains almost identical. And the best item on that menu? (No, it's not Paris Hilton, even though she is the official Carl's Jr. girl.) The best thing you can get at either place is a side: the plain baked potato--an ideal mate to either the chicken salad or chicken sandwich, or a Paris Hilton video, for that matter.

* Charbroiled BBQ Chicken Sandwich 370 calories, 47 g carbs, 35 g protein, 4 g fat, 1,070 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

* Charbroiled Chicken Salad-To-Go 330 calories, 17 g carbs, 34 g protein, 7 g fat, 880 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

* Jr. Hamburger 280 calories, 36 g carbs, 14 g protein, 9 g fat, 480 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

COPYRIGHT 2005 Weider Publications
COPYRIGHT 2005 Gale Group

Velasca
Velasca
United States
2007/05/24, 05:29 PM
the chicken sandwich without mayo is *ok* to eat..feel free to have them add mustard if you like it....but remembe its also what else you eat throughout the day too that matters....hehehehe..

i would like to say again that fast food is far from the ideal thing to eat....but it wont kill you either ...umm..or will it? :p kidding.....I dont eat it anymore but once a week for lunch..and im still very careful about what i order...

ordering healthier is a great start tho..and before you know it you actually wont be able to tolerate it much anymore and you will make the time to prepare your own foods from home... enjoy :D
fouts
fouts
United States
2007/05/24, 11:02 PM
I still eat fast food from time to time because I sometimes have no choice. I work full time and go to school full time so it can be hard to get in a good meal sometimes. Just try not to make it a habit and increase your intensity in your workouts. Make cardio a part of your routine as well and you might be able to burn off those extra calories. As far as Wendys goes my favorite is a broccoli and cheese potatoe and a small chili. Probably your best option there.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/05/25, 12:08 PM
A couple of salad tips in case you order a salad somewhere (fast food or regular restaurant) is to be sure to order your dressing on the side in a cup. At a fast food place pour the packet into one of the empty ketchup cups. If you dip your bites of salad, you will be SHOCKED at how much dressing you don't really need. I usually eat 1/2 of a packet, but when I used to put it on the salad, I would use TWO whole packets! Also, ask them not to include the cheese, and forego the croutons. Try to stick to the vegetables, dressing on the side, and some grilled chicken.
I said this on another post, but whenever I get where I have a consistant craving for McD's (Big Macs are my weakness) I watch "Super Size Me". It's usually enough to send me back to my clean food for a few months (until I need to watch it again!)
I also work with a bunch of women who want to eat out a lot. Sometimes you just want to go out and spend time with them, so you go! The important thing is to remember that everything should be in moderation. If you eat out every day, not only is your body paying for it, but imagine how much money you would save if you stopped!
I tried to set an example with my friends at work. There is now a group of us that spends the first half of lunch eating our packed lunches in the breakroom, then we spend the 2nd half walking around the block a few times. That gives us the time to gossip and do friend things, without stuffing our faces full of cheeseburgers and fries.
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/05/25, 11:40 PM
Amy, you just reminded me of me about, oh, 25 years ago. I recall three occasions when I had just finished a Big Mac and it was so delicious I had to have another one. I remember sitting in the car with my fiance after I'd just finished the first asking, "Can I have another one?" LOL (and that was pretty much his reaction). I can hardly believe that was me...it has been many years since I've eaten a Big Mac and I'm sure not craving one now.

As for the salad dressings--those portions are huge! I can't believe they are meant for one salad. I really don't even use dressing anymore, but when I did I used a small portion of what was in those packets.

I think it is great that you are setting an example for your coworkers. We did that in our office--another girl and I sort of became the food police, got everyone working out and eating like us. We aren't all always perfect, but at least we all feel sufficiently guilty when we know we're being bad--and there's always someone eager to rub it in!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/03, 01:05 PM
I had to revive this old post. I am a Big Mac addict as noted in my post above from last May. I FINALLY after a year of searching found a recipe for a healthy Big Mac. It's a recipe by Devin Alexander. You can do a google search on it. I eliminated the middle bun to cut a few more calories out and just did one patty instead of two because I'm lazy, but FINALLY! I was making naughty noises the whole time I ate the burger last night, it was SOOOO good. I'm 10 months Big Mac free and proud! ha ha. I had to pass this along to anyone else who loves (but knows they can't have) this naughty treat. :)