Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

hate my legs

cjaygirl
cjaygirl
Canada
2002/10/28, 12:15 PM
Can someone please give me some. I have been reading advice from other questions similar to mine but am getting confused from the mixed responses. I hate my legs, I have always had larger legs. But it is at the point where I am constantly depressed about it. My upper body is very skinny but I carry a lot of extra weight on my thighs. I work out a lot (including cardio and weights) and my diet for the most part is okay. But I am having no luck getting rid of the thunder thighs. I will do anything so please help. Thanks in advance!
jwhisner
jwhisner
United States
2002/10/28, 12:38 PM
i know exactly how you feel. i actually have a good amount of muscle on my legs from playing soccer my entire life and now weight lifting, but there is this a layer (or two) of fat on top of it all and it drives me crazy. they look so big to me. it seems like you are doing everything that i have read about in order to help decrease bodyfat, but i am doing it too with no success. nice to know i'm not alone and would love to hear other's responses to this question.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/10/29, 01:56 AM
Now you girls really want a good advice?!!!!!

Stop doing that much cardio, do heavy lunges and squat and eat a lot more protein and good fat.

I know it's difficult to understand but that's the solution to your problem. (And throw out that darn scale, muscles are a lot heavier but take way less space than fat!!)

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
cjaygirl
cjaygirl
Canada
2002/10/30, 12:34 PM

Okay so how much cardio is too much? I have always been told for weight loss to do 30-45 minutes 5 times a week. Help!!

============
Quoting from Philia2:

Now you girls really want a good advice?!!!!!

Stop doing that much cardio, do heavy lunges and squat and eat a lot more protein and good fat.

I know it's difficult to understand but that's the solution to your problem. (And throw out that darn scale, muscles are a lot heavier but take way less space than fat!!)

=============
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/10/30, 01:25 PM
cjaygirl - there's no quick answer to your question with the little bit of info posted here. A lot of people and especially women, tend to overdue the cardio and stay away from the muscle building exercises. I don't know how long you've been at this, but if it's been a considerable time and you aren't making progress, it's time to play around with your routine or possibly diet. There's a lot of things you can adjust and literally hundreds of people on here that've "been there/done that" that will be glad to help.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/10/31, 02:11 AM
Yes cjay but that's about "general" fat loss AND the fat that we (unfortunately ) carry on our legs is another sort of fat (receptor x2 fat cells, in other words, HORMONOL fat or fat caused by oestrogen and us having to be able to give birth later on etc you know the story!! ;o)

If you do too much cardio with a too low calorie intake then oh yes, you'll loose fat BUT you'll just be skinnier on your upper body which will make your lower body looks a lot BIGGER!!!!

Now as I said, if you girls really want to change anything, then you'll need to cut down on all those endless hours of cardio (only do 3-4 times of 30 mins weekly for ex to start with)and then get on lifting heavy to put on some mass on your upper body and tone the lower one.

Finally, if you want to succeed stop eating like scared birds but cut out all sugar and junk, drink a lot of water, eat a lot of proteins and good fat and you'll see......

--------------
yesican
yesican
United States
2002/11/20, 10:03 AM
I know how you girls feel. I never thought about the cardio thing. I am doing 5-6 times a week of it 45 mins and with little result. I down to the size i want but my legs especially my calves are still huge. 15" with a 26" waist what can i do to lose my calves
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/21, 02:14 AM
Stretch them!!!! I wont necessairly make your calves smaller but they'll look leaner and longer.

Another question, now did some of you girls do what I said and are you finally seeing results?!!!!!

--------------
nikki_m_austin
nikki_m_austin
United States
2002/11/23, 05:32 PM
LISTEN TO PHILIA.

When I first came on with FT in July or August, I posted here complaining about a similar problem - having larger legs and feeling like I was working my a** off with exercise but not getting anywhere. I came to FT as a recommendation of my hotty fiance, = ) and tried their workout. My body has really responded to the "one body part / day" 5 days a week. I was working waaaay too hard and doing cardio waaaay too much. The rests definitely helped!

I've been doing EXACTLY what Philia recommended, and let me tell you DO IT, IT WORKS. These last 4-5 months, I fine-tuned my diet a little more, added lots of protein, did lots of squats & leg work with weights on my lower as well as upper body. I was a little afraid, but have really challenged my body to lift heavy in my upper AND lower body (tho I was afraid it'd only bulk up my lower body). Ive really, really enjoyed the trip as well as the results. I've added muscle to my shoulders & upper body in the process, which has added great balance. And let me tell you, my lower body is changing big-time. Now I'm just following the same routines and watching my body still change. DO IT, IT'S THAT SIMPLE, IT WORKS!!
nikki_m_austin
nikki_m_austin
United States
2002/11/23, 05:39 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
mandre
mandre
United States
2002/11/23, 06:05 PM
Clapping. Woohooo!!!!! Another happy camper. Thumbs up. :)
I am so happy for you.

Goodbye pear shape!

Alright Philia has two women saying this stuff works. Just get out there and do it and you too will be coming on here testifying it works!

:) Melissa

--------------
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
- -- Aristotle
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/24, 01:58 AM
Good job gals, you can be proud of yourself!!!!!!!

Oh by the way, if you want to see some new pics then look at http://nina.williams.at/

--------------
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/11/24, 02:35 PM
Looks like your keeping the girls in line Philia2!
Keep up the good work! :o)

--------------
To change it, or to create it, simply train it!

Ivan Montreal Canada
mrsmcgrail
mrsmcgrail
United States
2002/11/26, 04:05 PM
i was a college soccer player too and they had me lifting heavy weights which of course made my legs big. i got in a car accident and wasnt allowed to run so i start lifting light weights with lots of reps and doing as much cardio as possible, from walking to cross trainers and stairmasters and i lost so many inches off my legs. i dont know about the heavy weights that i see you guys doing. for me, light weights and lots of reps worked. i still have a little more i cant lose off my legs but i already dropped major inches
munoz1009
munoz1009
United States
2002/11/29, 02:24 PM
Congrats girls...

i am a victim of big legs. i feel like I try everything and nothing works.. I have not been able to tone my legs/thighs and booty :). I do weights, I do cardio and I eat a diet that is low in fat, little to no sugars and try to eat lots of protein. I am not a big fan of water and that may be my downfall. What exercises are good for toning and defining the lower body besides squats and lunges? Also, should squats be done just using free weights or are the machines ok as well? I am gonna go ahead and try this 30 min cardio 3-4 days/week thing and I'll let you all know how it works out, but in the meanwhile, I'd appreciate any advice I can get on reaching my goal.
munoz1009
munoz1009
United States
2002/11/29, 02:26 PM
Sorry, but I just need to add.. Can someone pls clarify the whole target heart rate thing in regards to fat burning as opposed to cardio workout. I feel like I cant ever maintain my heart rate to where I am "supposed to" without starting to feel like I am not working out hard enough.

Pls advise
Thanks
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/11/30, 01:36 AM
In my honest opinion, forget about trying desperately to fix the heart rate.....
If you go for fat burning, do long steady cardio 30-60 mins and just make sure that you'll never be exhausted (always be able to talk normally!) For HIIT it's another thing, here you need to get exhausted since you are pushing yourself to the limits but not for very long (20-30 mins).

Munoz, please fill in your profile.

--------------
munoz1009
munoz1009
United States
2002/12/06, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice.. The HITT sounds like the type of cardio that will fit in my schedule... I will work on it tonight when I go to the gym.

Another quick question I had was that i have fat knees. My knees have fat on the sides and it makes my legs look even fatter. For example my sister is like my exact replica in terms of body proportions, but her legs look so much thinner being that her knees are slimmer, but I weigh a little less and even wear a smaller size in pants. What exercises would help with this? Weight loss in the past hasnt made my knees look any less fat.
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/12/06, 11:20 PM
my legs have really started to shape up since I have been at D.I. school. All the hiking we have done really has done wonders. But yes, heavy weight training on the legs will give you great results. Lunges and squats are great.

--------------
Lisa
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/03/24, 02:02 AM
BUMP!

--------------
samaahmed
samaahmed
Sudan
2003/04/26, 06:26 PM
i got exactly the opposite of your problem i wish i can trade place with you and got your bigger legs so would any one help and tell me how i build my legs up
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/11/12, 03:48 AM
I'll bump this subject again........ We'll always be able to learn again. Come on girls, don't take the cellulite as something we just have to suffer or cannot do something against. Okey, we all got one body type, and I know it can be hard BUT we only got this ONE body so we better have to live WITH it instead of fighting against.......

--------------
Jasra
Jasra
Canada
2004/01/13, 12:07 AM
I hate my legs so much and i wish i know how to work on my upper inner legs because the rest of my legs r fine but there they arnt
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2004/01/13, 01:34 PM
Try the adductor and abuctor machines...they work great. And don't be afraid of using heavy weights.
dellafalls
dellafalls
Canada
2004/02/01, 01:34 PM
Hi, Listen to what philiais saying you girls, working your legs!!! I was a dancer and soccor player and am 5'4'' with small upper body, well, I always did super cardio trying to tone, and noticed only biking seemed to work over the years. Then last year did a transformation prorgam at a local gym, wts, 5-6 meals aday before and after pic ect. I got such great result, my body fat plunged, my upper body was easy to build as it was small, now I have square strong shoulders great back biceps ect, and my legs and toned, and defined, alwasy were bulit just need to loose the fat!!!!! through diet. Work them hard there big muscles!!!! Men now say god you have great legs, including my daughters male friends (they tell her that) I'm 42 and all my life hated my legs!!!!!!!!! Now I don't have to hide them.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/02/10, 02:34 AM
Yes great legs are way better than great breasts...... (o;
You have to work very hard for that one!
BUMP!

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
westpalmari
westpalmari
United States
2004/05/14, 09:48 PM
Ok Philia seems to hate cardio.

Unfortunately, she is only speaking from on vantage point.

I have larger legs naturally and tend to lose fat in my stomach first when I go on a diet and exercise plan.

I'm starting a new plan which I did 2 summers ago (I was in the best shape of my life)

I have a summer job that gives me a lot of free time so I do cardio 7 days a week for an hour. (on the eliptical)

It sounds like a lot but it's really fun and easy for me (for me) and My legs shrunk along with everything else. Like I said I was in the best shape of my life and firm in all the places that needed to be firm. I drank lots of water and ate small portions of whatever I wanted throughout the day. (I tried not to eat much after dinner)

I don't if this will work for you, but it definitely did for me. Cardio has been my lifesaver and given me a chance to eat whatever the hell I want!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/05/17, 02:07 AM
Don't be just a cardio queen for long lasting results......... You need to weight train to sculpt the legs. :dumbbell:

--------------
www.nme-pro.com
tikka_04
tikka_04
Canada
2005/03/20, 03:08 PM
how do u do a squat?
diamond24kt
diamond24kt
United States
2006/05/28, 10:32 PM
I AM A BEGINEER AND I NEED TO LOOSE WEIGHT ALL OVER HIPS,THIGHS,(BASICALLY THE ENTIRE LEG AND STOMACH I AM CURRENTLY WALKING 3 TO 4 DAYS A WEEK FOR 30 MIN WHAT ELSE CAN I DO AND I NEED TO LOOSE WEIGHT IN MY ARMS TOO
alissa2128
alissa2128
United States
2006/06/12, 01:14 AM
Same problem here--HATE my legs, and I know I have to live with larger legs that most as it runs in my family, but i hate them anyway...my question though is does anyone recommend running and using an eliptical for cardio, or is it better to just run. I love the eliptical but I don't feel like I get as good of a workout.
alissa2128
alissa2128
United States
2006/06/12, 01:14 AM
Same problem here--HATE my legs, and I know I have to live with larger legs that most as it runs in my family, but i hate them anyway...my question though is does anyone recommend running and using an eliptical for cardio, or is it better to just run. I love the eliptical but I don't feel like I get as good of a workout.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/15, 10:46 PM
If your knee gives you issues you may want to try out Squats on a Machine and maybe for you the pin placement machine may be best as it is at a real safe angle almost like lying on your back.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/17, 02:14 PM
============
Quoting from SFGiantsMVP:

Thanks for pointing out the Smith I always forget to say stay clear of them but they don't even exist in my mind so they really aren't a thought for me.

=============

You just recommended she use a "squat machine". Whether it's a smith machine or a hack squat or any other squat machine, chances are, the movement isn't natural and won't be good for the knee.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
samgab2
samgab2
United States
2008/06/15, 02:32 AM
I just joined and i specifically need my legs toned up, but I can't do lunges because my right knee always gives out. Is there any other exercise I can do that can target the areas that a lunge would target?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/16, 08:42 PM
Thanks for pointing out the Smith I always forget to say stay clear of them but they don't even exist in my mind so they really aren't a thought for me.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/16, 09:47 AM
Try step ups. Since there is no eccentric loading, you may find them a lot easier on the knee.

I would NOT try doing squats in a smith machine, as the backward lean places much more stress on the patella tendon of the knee and forces the knee/ankle joint complex through an unnatural motion.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
tinab40
tinab40
United States
2009/01/04, 06:30 AM
My husband has been telling me for the longest the importance of lifting weights with the combination of cardio. He has our back yard set up so we can do a combination of cardio and weightlifting. One is a wooden sled he built and we could add weights to it. I pull 40 pounds and notice alot of difference in my body. I too am a pear shape and find it difficult to lose in my legs and butt area. I added the Denise Austing powerwalk tape. It includes three level of walking and stretching. I love the one that includes weight, sqatts and lunges. It is a great workout. I lost two pant sizes doing this!
hellokitty_linz
hellokitty_linz
United Kingdom
2009/03/19, 10:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

Im 5 ft 2, weigh 121 pounds, My body fat is 20% and by BMI is 20.5

I used to do Gymanstics and my shoulders are quite broad and i am rather tonned all over, I hate my muscles and i hate my legs, They are short and stumpy but not fat. How can i slim them down and get rid of all the muscle???

P.s - I usually do 2 body combat classes a week (2 hrs) a step class once a week (30mins) and an aerobics class once a week (45 mins) I dont do any press ups as i hate my shoulders.

I also try and eat between 500 and 1000 cal per day

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!