Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS ! ! !

pj_quick
pj_quick
United States
2003/08/12, 04:51 PM
hello, my name is Paul, I am new to the world of BodyBuilding. I am very excited!--but I have a small question--can someone tell me what critiria the judges use when determining the best bodybuilder. I have seen 7th place winners that look better than the 1st place winner...."whats up wit dat?" ---thanks
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/08/12, 11:22 PM
I can agree with that!! I have heard some major booing go on, and actually seen the judges change their picks due to this. I thought I got robbed a bit in my last contest, got a second place, thought for sure I was first. Others thought that too. And looking at pics, I thought it was even more obvious...oh well, going off here. LOL...

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/08/22, 05:57 PM
I don't know about other places.. but here it quite often depends on who you train with or who you have shmoozed with. (not to sound negative, but I know it for a fact from a colleague who was telling me about becoming a 'practice' judge)
Supposedly you are judged by specific criteria including symmetry, size and seperation of each muscle group, leanness, and of course, presentation.
It all depends on which organization and how inbred the judging panel is...
temperoath
temperoath
United States
2004/01/13, 03:18 PM
true...very true!
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/13, 05:27 PM
Good question, Paul. I had been wondering the same thing also.

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/01/14, 12:01 PM
Symmetry/proprtion, hitting your poses right, conditioning, striations, CONFIDENCE, SMILE...judges can be very subjective, they may not like the way you look, or anything. I placed 6th in my first show and I'm going back to the same show in August. When they see that I worked hard in the off season, I will probably place higher OR they won't remember me at all. Ah, who knows!? Now I'm all pissed off too!LOL

--------------
May the lift be with you.
shavondebrown
shavondebrown
United States
2004/01/15, 05:04 PM
What are striations.

--------------
It's not what we eat or drink occasionally, but what we consume on a daily basis that determines our ongoing level o health.

formerfatguy.com
Not sure of author
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/01/15, 10:08 PM
shavon...you know when you look at a picture of the human body without the skin and there's just muscle showing? Its the muscle fibers showing through the skin, the long fibers.

--------------
May the lift be with you.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/15, 10:26 PM
Symmetry in the end is what it is all about. Judges are trained to look from the feet up as you come out. There is not usually much time, your mandatory round is usually a few minutes tops. If you don't hit your mandatories, you lose! The evening show is for the crowd. You have already placed by then in the morning show. These are not like the Olympia, where they have one class only, heavyweight, and they have tons of time to judge. In these contests there are many weight divisions, plus masters, teens, womens bodybuilding, figure, some even have a wheelchair class. They have to move them through rather quickly. That is usually why many times only the top 5 get to do their full free posing round to their music.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
2004/01/28, 12:32 PM
I unfortunately cant compete but I have been to the shows...I think for the most part many of the winners are as close to be accurate. But I have seen some ? of why they choose one over another. It does make a different for the one further behind. I think from all the info Ive heard its really a criteria and then ultimately an indivdual choice. I have been judges for other competitions and the main thing is that one stays consistant with their scoring. But yea it sucks cause many lose out that shouldnt.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2004/01/28, 06:15 PM
Good questions...sometimes it is a mystery! My last show I figured I would place top four based on the criteria for this show....but SURPRISE I finished 6 out of seven. My husband said the shocked look on my face was obvious. One thing I never thought of was age discrimination in the Figure and Fitness. The two 40 year old placed 6 & 7th AFTER girls with obvious less conditioning.

--------------
Leslie
"Life is a succession of moments. To live each one is to succeed."