Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

guitar workout

Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/04/10, 09:43 AM
i was just wondering why, when i am playing the guitar it makes me sweat more than when i work out.to me it makes no sense. anyone else have the same thing.
i posted it in here cos i didn't know what catagory it would fit under.
thanks

--------------
todays post was bought to you by the man of many names (pritchard aka fitchard, fitchy, fitch, adam, sadam, mr bump, forest, dime bar, and my personal favourite burcules )
end post..........NOW
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/04/10, 12:07 PM
i've gotta say, i've been playing guitar for 9 years and i don't think i've ever broken more of a sweat playing than i have when i'm working out, but you never know.
when you're talking about playing are you meaning like, sitting around the house playing a few riffs or do you mean like on stage? i know that when i play under lights the combination of the heat from the light and the amount that i'm concentrating on playing can make me break quite a sweat, but it's nothing compared to what happens when i lift.
this is just me though, you never know how much you can sweat when you really get into something, so i wouldn't say it's entirely out of the ordinary.

--------------
success comes before work only in the dictionary. that's right.
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2004/04/12, 07:46 AM
Yo Pritchard,

Playing on stage, I sweat way more than I do during an all-out 60-minute cardio session (or weight lifting session). Like Howdiekat said, the lights on stage can really heat things up pretty quickly. Plus blowin' into a tenor sax for 3 hours AND running 250+ pounds of Saxman around on-stage doesn't help either! This might be an unfair comparison, though -- a 3 hour performace on stage vs. a 60 minute workout...

I don't know if there is any relationship between "sweat volume" (eeewwww) and workout intensity or calories burned, but I do know that after a show, I'm exhausted AND completely drenched (eeewww again) -- and that's AFTER changing my shirt half-way through the show. After cardio, I feel a little tired (and sweaty, of course), but "energized". Maybe I'm just too old for Rock and Roll...? Or not pushing myself hard enough when doing cardio...?

Regardless, playing sax (and playing guitar, I assume)is a whole lot more fun that doing cardio... but I contiue to sweat and do both. Life is all about balance!LOL Hey maybe a new workout idea, playing sax WHILE running on that elliptical thingy...

TSMD
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/12, 04:24 PM
I play the drums, and I like to play to some hard exciting stuff, so I sweat quite a bit when I play for about an hour or two.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/04/13, 06:33 AM
thanks guys.
i havent played on stage... yet. we just jam in my garage, which is freezing cold most of the time, so i dont know?