Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Getting hassled for eating right

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/22, 04:31 PM
I don't know about anybody else here but, i get asked all the time why i eat the way i do every 3 hours, lots of meat and veggies. I'm 20 and everyone just thinks i should be eating what i want and not worrying. At work people are constantly hassling me and poking fun because i will eat so often and the right stuff and because i want eat sweets and cheeseburger from mcdonalds. I don't mean to be rude when someone offers me a piece of candy or something of the sort but it's like no thanks isn't enough they want to know why. Every where i've gone people give me crap about eating right and i've lived in 3 different cities from the east coast to the west coast and it's the same wherever you go. I don't know if any one else experiences this but I just had to get it out of my system. I'm really tired of hearing about it. It seems like it's more accepted to eat crap than eat right no wonder we're getting fatter at such an alrming rate. Thanks for letting me rant.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/09/22, 04:49 PM
I get it all the time too.. not quite that bad, but still, people wonder why I avoid the candy machine at work... don't drink too much pop.... stick with the tuna and such... but, it's my decision, they've made theirs... I just smile and nod...:big_smile:

--------------
t

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle

You have the power to change a life right in your own hands. - Paul Brandt
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/09/22, 04:49 PM
Justin, I get that every day. I know it sounds mean but when someone offers me something which is not on the bodybuilder grocery list or otherwise not calculated into my day, I just smile and say "Heyyyyy... no thank you, fat girls LOVE that stuff." It's a routine my friends and I have gotten into to shame each other into staying away from the foods we know are not part of the plan, and it works. By the way, we define a "fat girl" as anyone who weighs 6 ounces more than whatever our current weight is.

Disclaimer: I would never think of being anything but supportive of someone who has a weight problem, particularly since I struggle with my own weight on an hourly basis. The statements contained in this post were intended to be of a supportive nature. If I have offended anyone, you have my sincerest apologies, no offense was intended.

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/22, 05:15 PM
Exactly They've made their decision and we've made ours. I don't go aound telling them that they're outta shape and need to drop that big mac and pic up a dumbell and get on a diet. I've given up on explaining myself i jus smile and nod as well and say to myself can't wait to see you in 10 years. College was the worse i got so much crap but i never gave up and i never will because i know it will be worth it in the end. I have had people stick up for me when people just keep on sayin stuff like they just can't let it go they're so perplexed by eating healthy. Simply put by one of my co-workers "he cares about what he puts into his body." which true. You know what kills me is that at some point these people are going to become unhappy with themselves and go on a diet and do the same exact thing as us.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/09/22, 06:19 PM
No, they will not do the same thing as us Justin, we are not "on a diet". We just eat right and want to be healthy. I classify these people as toxic and dangerous to my health!
I have a neighbour who can't understand why I don't eat chips and beer during the hockey games or football games. It really upsets him, so I decided not to see the games with him.
Keep doing it!

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/22, 08:36 PM
I get hassled as well, but it's my opinion that you should be able to cheat a little every once in a while. It helps me because if I go so long with being so strict, I eventually rebel against it and just start piggin out on the bad stuff because I'm so sick of being so strict. I've just been keeping it sensible and eating a sweet thing maybe once a week. I'm not tryin to discourage anyone for being strict (more power to you!) but I was strict like that for about 6 months and I went crazy for a bit because of it.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/09/23, 04:38 PM
you can say, no thanks I just brushed my teeth.

I found that it was sometimes easier to justify drinking diet coke or staying away from candy by explaining I have bad tooth enamel (I actually do have pretty bad tooth enamel). Somehow people will leave you alone if you say oh I just had 2500 bucks worth of work done on my teeth...

or just tell them you don't like that particular kind of whatever they have.
firemansam
firemansam
Australia
2004/09/23, 06:05 PM
When they try to force you to eat crap, just try and force them to eat healthy make them eat some celery and if they dont want it be annoying and persistant they will get the idea
nuance24
nuance24
United States
2004/09/26, 12:31 AM
Having worked in fast food, I know exactly what it's like. Some people actually ask good questions and want to know my "secrets" but most just say things like "I wish i could get back in shape." The people I offer advice to are really surprised how easy it is but are just way too lazy to apply it to their own lives. I just want to scream when somebody claims to be on a diet and then stuffs their face with literally THOUSANDS of empty calories.

I've realized unhealthy people are only unhealthy because they refuse education. They could read every bit of information on a site like this and still think a diet coke with their triple bacon cheeseburger makes a difference.

Ah well...it only encourages me to continue this lifestyle.
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/26, 04:27 PM
It kills me too when people claim to be on a diet and get a frappucino light(I work at a coffee shop) and sometimes add whip cream, these are empty worthless calories that are going to do them no good but counter act their efforts in the gym. I agree totally that is due to a total lack of education on proper nutrition. You must grit your teeth everytime someone orders a tripple cheeseburger large fries and oh yeah and a xtra-Large diet coke. Like it makes the cheesburger and fries ok.

Keep up the Good work!
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/09/26, 06:46 PM
i try to look at it as being committed to your goals and being disciplined, rather than being flat out STRICT...

============
Quoting from arondaballer:

I get hassled as well, but it's my opinion that you should be able to cheat a little every once in a while. It helps me because if I go so long with being so strict, I eventually rebel against it and just start piggin out on the bad stuff because I'm so sick of being so strict. I've just been keeping it sensible and eating a sweet thing maybe once a week. I'm not tryin to discourage anyone for being strict (more power to you!) but I was strict like that for about 6 months and I went crazy for a bit because of it.

=============

--------------
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
tiffanyriva
tiffanyriva
Australia
2004/10/01, 12:40 PM
im reading all these posts on negative outside influences, and wish that wes my only problem. my partner of 15 months is so against anything healthy, i was a 65kg vegan that went to the gym twice-thrice a week, and i didnt want to nag him about being supportive, and trying my lifestyle, so i let him win...and now im 87kg and i'm afraid to leave the house cause i think ppl are staring. recently iv stopped being such a push over, my partner can by his own groceries and cook his own damn dinner! :cool:
jonathanweaver
jonathanweaver
United States
2004/10/01, 12:51 PM
Good for you. If he wants to be unhealthy, that's his choice. It's a selfish choice, but a choice nonetheless. Don't let him choose for you to be unhealthy, you can make that choice yourself.

Congrats, and good luck. You can do it!
(I did the same thing to my wife. I made her eat the whole double-cheeseburger instead of just half of it. My metabolism and activity were so high that I "could eat anything" and not gain weight. It caught up to both of us. She gained over 40 pounds and is still only 5'2, so she doesn't like going out in public like you mentioned.)

--------------
I will never grow up, just old.

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Jonathan
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/10/01, 03:19 PM
I always get stupid comments about what I eat also...your not the only one, but just remember, who's healthier?
millenia
millenia
United Kingdom
2004/10/01, 04:34 PM
Anni313 isn't that a bit harsh calling people fat who are bigger than you?
I used to be really big and i did used to eat lots of junk, but i also knew how much it hurt when getting called fat.
I think people who annoy you for what you eat are childish, in the end you won't be the one with the health problems :)
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/04, 08:06 AM
millenia, my understanding of anni's post was that this was something done between friends, which was supportive, and helped them all get nearer their goals and I think her disclaimer bears this out.