Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Fresh out of the bakery

seeknchange2011
seeknchange2011
United States
2011/11/11, 12:35 PM
I'm as about as doughy as you can possibly get but that's why I'm here now, and ready to make some changes in my life.
But I have one snafu, no willpower.
I'm an accountant by trade, so I spend most of the day sitting on me' arse doing bookwork. Probably a major contributor to my obseity. I try to walk 2 blocks anywhere from 1-4 times a day, depending on weather, time, and situation. I have a gym membership that I'm ashamed to admit I pay for but haven't been back to in over a year. I drink water 95% of the time and I generally take in about 2000 cal/day.

Let me add that I have a thyroid condition and metabolic syndrome so it's been frustrating. I have lost 8 lbs so far since I've started my efforts. I'm lazy but I'm stopping that.

I am flawed but I am real. I'm the personification of good intentions gone horribly wrong but most of all I'm a work in progress. I think what I'm looking for is motivation and positive criticism. This entire process is a bit terrifying for me because for years I hid myself from criticism and stayed in the shadows of the grossly huge woman I've become.

Can anyone advise me where to start, or some confidence boosters to motivate me?

--------------
The path to change starts with one step. Just one. Degree of change happens when you keep going.
2011/11/11, 03:20 PM
Print your comment in a fairly large font. Tape it to your refrigerator.

You have eloquently laid out what your problems are. Use the comment as motivation to:

1- Learn to eat properly. That includes learning what's nutritious and what constitutes empty calories. It also includes portion control and calorie counting. It boils down to educating yourself on how, what and when to eat.

2- Learn about exercise and exactly what it accomplishes. In other words, there is a purpose for combining cardiac exercise with strength training. Both are necessary for good health.

3- Regarding motivation, nobody can do that but you. If it helps, I could say get off your ass and do the work but most likely that would be off putting. So basically you must decide if your good health is worth the lifestyle change required to achieve it.

Hang in there. Do it a day at a time. Don't quit. And once you get up off your ass, stay off it long enough to train ;~)

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2011/11/15, 08:52 AM
What Charlie said.

t