Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

forearm swelling ALOT

burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/10, 09:42 AM
I was driving home from being out all day saturday, and stopped in a store, when i leaned against the counter I thought that I had leaned into a cusion or something instread of the hard counter surface.

This is the first I had noticed that my left elbow and forearm had swollen immensely. This continued the next day, and even got worse reaching my wrist.

You would think that I had gotten stung and was having an allergic reaction, but no.

I was in NO pain
I had NO stiffness in any joint.
THere were NO other signs of any trouble.

My left forearm was just blowing up like a baloon and I looked like Popeye.

(My right forearm was doig the same, but not nearly as much.)

Ibuprofin seems to help a bit.
In the mornings my arms arent nearly as big, but grow in the day.

I had been recovering from a set of dumbell kickbacks about 1 week earlier.
(The backs of my arms were in pain for a week)
However, this was getting better. (Although here, almost two weeks later, my musles there are still tight to stretch)

What could this be?
burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/11, 09:06 AM
NO one has any thoughts?!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/07/11, 09:18 AM
Um yeah GO TO A DOCTOR! Why post that here?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/11, 02:09 PM
I'm a member of this site, using it for my workouts, (I thought that was assumed...)

I went to the doctor, and OTHERs have posted similar questions, but not specifically like mine.

So since i'm waiting for my test results, I posted the question here.

Why is this a problem to post a question about a potential injury here in the "Injuries" forum?!!

MattWV
MattWV
United States
2006/07/11, 02:36 PM
I don't see a problem with what you posted.

It just sounds strange that your triceps were still tight 2 weeks after one set of kickbacks and you see "NO other signs of any trouble" apart from the swelling.

Hope it turns out OK! Let us know what the tests say.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/07/11, 03:30 PM
Ok let me clear this up. You DID NOT POST that you had gone to a doctor. ALso we get many posting injuries that are dangerous and such and NEED attention sooner. That was my intent soory for the confusion. IT sounded like, from reading your post that you wanted medical advice for what read like a rather serious injury.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/11, 08:44 PM
I agree, nothign wrong with my post.
Even if i hadn't "spelled out" that i had gone to the Doctor.

This, and assuming that at 37 years old, I know when to go to the Dr., my original question is still open.

Has anyone experienced swelling in the forearms or other area spontainiously like that?

My doctor says that its water, (The test was that when pressed, the flesh would retain the shape of the depression)

I'm ready to theorize that perhaps my suppliment "ANAVOL" (which reccommends 2 liters of water or more a day), must have somehow caused this.

I have received some results from my blood tests.
(They are doing a complete metabolic workup on me.)

My liver enzymes are slightly elevated.
(resulting in more tests...)

My kidney values show normal. - the main concern

This remains a mystery to everyone so far.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/07/11, 09:34 PM
I have not, nor have I heard of what you are experiencing.

Good luck with recovery though and let us know how you are doing.

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/07/11, 10:32 PM
Um I beg to differ, the reason I came on so strongly, and I guess my IM to you and my other post did not make it clear, again I apologize for that, is that this forum is to get hints and advice for common training injuries. That said I quote from your first post "This is the first I had noticed that my left elbow and forearm had swollen immensely. This continued the next day, and even got worse reaching my wrist." This is not a common injury. To ask for adivce on what is wrong, is asking to much and no one here should or I really hope would give out any other advice but to go see your doctor. WHich if you HAD mentioned in the first place I would not have to be writing this now. LOL

============
Quoting from burnsl:

I agree, nothign wrong with my post.
Even if i hadn't "spelled out" that i had gone to the Doctor.

This, and assuming that at 37 years old, I know when to go to the Dr., my original question is still open.

Has anyone experienced swelling in the forearms or other area spontainiously like that?

My doctor says that its water, (The test was that when pressed, the flesh would retain the shape of the depression)

I'm ready to theorize that perhaps my suppliment "ANAVOL" (which reccommends 2 liters of water or more a day), must have somehow caused this.

I have received some results from my blood tests.
(They are doing a complete metabolic workup on me.)

My liver enzymes are slightly elevated.
(resulting in more tests...)

My kidney values show normal. - the main concern

This remains a mystery to everyone so far.

=============

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/07/11, 11:06 PM
OK Boys, let's all just take a deep breath and exhale slowly. :)

It's all good.

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com

burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/14, 03:29 PM
More news.

Update - Blood Test Results....

I was told that the indicators for muscle damage were nearly 10 times normal. I questioned whether or not that would be okay if i was 3 weeks into my first attempt at weight training. She stated (somewhat unconvincingly) that she "thought so".

She mentioned that a particular liver count which was supposed to be abround "200" was closer to "2000".
(This was bad, she said)

"All of this is reversable" she continued, but that I was to stop working out, and only do cardio (frikkin GREAT), and stop the use of "Anavol", my suppliment.

I had stopped 5 days prior to the Drs appointment, and I will now not re-start it.

What I want to know is am I right to get a second opinion from a sports doctor (Or a doctor more familiar with weight training issues)?

I am scheduled for a follow up blood test with this same doctor in 30 days for comparison.

If i get a copy of my test results, would anyone here know what values we should be looking at and what they should be for someone in the 3rd week of wieight training (typically)?

I find it hard to accept that I just am not allowed to lift weights.

That's rediculous.
ATIGER
ATIGER
United States
2006/07/14, 04:53 PM
I would get a 2nd opinion. I had a shoulder problem and went to a reg doc and they told me it was a strained tendon from an xray. Went to a shoulder doc and it was an inflamed AC joint. He told me that the other doc could not tell a strained tendon on an xray unless it was severe.
burnsl
burnsl
United States
2006/07/14, 06:47 PM
I am in atlanta.
Any suggestions on a Sports / Fitness doctor?