Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Forced to not work out, need help!

cdee30
cdee30
United States
2003/09/10, 10:11 AM
I am 31 yrs old - 5'7" ~ 118 - 120 lbs. I work out 6 days, a wk; cardio 50-60 min (5 days)& 45-50 (1 day). I lift 5 days - 2 days - arms, chest, back; alternating 2 days legs, shoulders, 1 day I take a full body weight training class. My goals include lean muscle gains. This friday I am having surgury and I am not supposed to do any lifting for 2-3 weeks - I know that I will not be able to do the intense cardio for atleast a week. I am very afraid that I am going to gain weight.. I am just a point now, with my current diet, that I am increasing my caloric intake in order to speed up my metabolism.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a light weight-training program, low-impact cardio routine and/or should I just decrease my caloric intake - I am already alittle low with my daily calories - about 1000, but I don't want to gain fat..
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/10, 11:47 AM
Just eat normally, rest and heal. It sounds like you are overtraining if your goal is to gain muscle. The extra rest will let your muscle recover. Then when you return, start gradualy and split your lifting up a little - you will get better results. Too much cardio and too much lifting is counterproductive, it actually slows down your metabolism and burns off muscle. Try doing 1 day chest, triceps, 1 day back biceps, 1 day legs, shoulders, rest, repeat. You need time to heal, even when you haven't had surgery.
Do low intensity cardio and enjoy the rest period. Professional athletes take time off to heal every few months and come back stronger and fresher.
Good luck!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/09/10, 11:52 AM
asimmer is right. Whatever you have accomplished with your training you are NOT going to lose in 2 to 3 weeks. Get your rest, keep your diet clean, heal up correctly, and listen to your Dr. You'll be back hitting it hard in no time!

Good Luck...

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
cdee30
cdee30
United States
2003/09/10, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the confidence and advice. I guess I am
just unsure of the abrupt stopage of all activity and how
that will affect muscle tone - 2 -3 wks is a lot of missed work-outs!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/10, 04:58 PM
You didn't say what kind of surgery, and I won't ask, but any kind is serious business. Do what the docs say. You son't want to undo or make things worse. Your body will be trying to heal itself so don't starve it. Eat healthy and eat enough. This will help speed your recovery. I was out for several months at the start of the year. Mine was abdominal so I had to give up everything for a while as it seems almost all movement reaches your abs. I couldn't even drive, but I stated back with longer less intense walks and light lifting. I had gained some weight, and was afraid I would be way behind in my workouts. Within 3 months I was lifting beyond where I had left off. When our bodies are in a crisis they need to rest and relax. Worrying is stressful too. Take it easy and go back slowly. Good luck.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
cdee30
cdee30
United States
2003/09/11, 09:21 AM
I appreciate you asking. I am having pre-malignant cells removed from my uterus, so I will not be able to do
any lifting or cardio training for a few weeks. I am
afraid of the weight gain from the sudden stopage of
activity - I guess easy walks will have to suffice and it
gives me a goal when I am able to start training again.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/11, 06:44 PM
Yes, definitely rest for the required amount of time. If you continue to eat properly (maybe a little less to compensate for the lack of activity) you shouldn't gain back too much. And like I said it comes off faster when you get back to normal. Take it easy and best of luck to you.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills