Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

fasting

MOORE2328
MOORE2328
United States
2006/03/25, 11:56 PM
does anyone have experience with this. ive heard of a week long fast 2 days leading in 2 out w veggies and juices in bw. its suppose to clense the sys. allowing nutrients to be readily absorbed. ???
2006/03/26, 06:03 AM
skip it...

You want to 'cleanse' your body? well then start RIGHT NOW...stop eating junk ....stop eating fried foods....stop drinking calories...start eating healthy fats...complex carbs....lean meats/fish/poultry/etc.....a lot of variety of vegetables....with some fruits....there's no need to stop eating to cleanse your body...it will adjust accordingly to how you usually eat....what is the point of starving yourself only to go back to eating however you ate beforehand?....all you will do is lose muscle and slow down your metabolism...
Stevept
Stevept
United Kingdom
2006/03/26, 06:48 AM
I agree with Menace, spot on
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/26, 11:19 AM
Not to mention hormones go whacky on a starvation diet.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
bicep
bicep
Canada
2006/03/26, 11:28 AM
I`ve heard that cleansing process should be supervised by a doctor

Menace is right change you eating habits
MOORE2328
MOORE2328
United States
2006/03/26, 11:03 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt31.htm

-That is the link, even if you eat clean, there are still going to be impurities from food wont there? ie. any kind of chicken/tuna that is mass produced.
i think my diet is really good for a person in my situation, i am always looking for ways to improve s' why i was curious.

do any of you use green tea and fish oil?
2006/03/27, 03:59 AM
Yes . I take 6-10 g of fish oil daily and drink Black Tea with occassional green/oolong tea...both of these are good for your general well being...
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/31, 06:46 PM
REALLY increase your fiber intake for at least a week..and I mean INCREASE and it will clean you out for sure
swindled
swindled
Canada
2006/05/17, 11:43 PM
I have done fasts for cleansing purposes, I suggest you first talk to your doctor about it. And if you are still into it then look up lemonade fast, get all the information you can about it and all the ingrediants needed for the lemonade. The amount of time you spend going into the fast and out of the fast should be proportional to the amount of time you are fasting for. Your doctor may be able to tell you this, but many health websites will tell you as well. Honestly the cleansing works, you feel fantastic afterwards. A healthy diet will make you feel better overall and for a longer period of time, but a cleansing fast will give you an extra boost of energy, clarity of mind. It may be something for you to start off a healthy diet with, when you come off the fast you really do not want to eat junk foods.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/05/18, 11:23 AM
Yeah sure....here you go, just send me the money for the cookies. :)

http://www.onedaydietwafers.com/

--------------
Strength and Honor!
swindled
swindled
Canada
2006/05/18, 01:57 PM
The thing with fasting is that it isn't necessarily to lose weight. You want to lose the toxins that are in your body, and no matter how healthy you eat you will still get toxins, pesticides and waxes from fruit and veggies is a big one. Unless you want to eat all organic, and that is ridiculously expensive. As well you would be surprised at all the toxins that are in healthy food. Toxins don't necessarily mean junk foods, although they are a great contributer. Unless you are a crazy label reader you won't notice, mono and di-glycerides are in a lot of things, even certain soy milks. There are preservatives in almost everything now, so as such you are picking up toxins almost everyday. Unfortunatly many people equate fasting with weight loss, this is not true, unless you are fasting for an excessively long time, IE. A 30 day fast. If you are fasting for 3-7 days you will lose weight yes, but you will gain it back.
swindled
swindled
Canada
2006/05/18, 01:59 PM
Fasting is not for everyone, it is a lifestyle choice, not a fitness one.
2006/05/18, 06:38 PM
like cutting off your own foot?
carriesawey
carriesawey
United States
2006/10/05, 08:05 PM
I have do a cleanse by Smart.I think it can work but only once a year.Over cleanseing is were people go wrong.I have had a poor diet most of my life and It help me get unwanted toxin out(over all health has impoved):)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/06, 08:07 AM
Well, I thought I would do a cleanse, and I guess I don't think our guts are as full of undigested stuff and toxins ans we are being led to believe by the people pushing this whole clansing idea (who usually sell cleansing products, as well).

I lasted a day and a half on the lemonade...nothing was 'happening' with my digestive tract as fae as expelling toxins and I felt nauseous from the supplements. I was taking the recommended massive amounts of fiber and drinking 3 qts of lemonade, still nothing. I finally broke down and ate some fish and broccoli - and lo and behold, not long after what should be 'expelled' but the fish and broccoli. So if my system is so full of deadly sludge, why did what i ate come out first? My conclusion is that our bodies are amazingly efficient and things don't sit around in our intestines unless we have a crap diet and don't eat enough healthy, fibrous foods. If you switch to a better diet, your body will sort things out.

fasting will result in muscle loss and a slower metabolism, which compounds whatever issue you were probably trying to solve through fasting anyway....

I think fasting is yet another 'magic bullet', people think that because they have toxicity in their body they will expell 50 pounds of toxins or something from fasting...

Eat a healthy diet and exercise - your liver will deal with the stored toxins as it breaks down fat and cleans your system...

--------------

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle
lordxena
lordxena
United States
2006/10/10, 10:58 AM
If you want to try something unradical, borrow/buy a juicer, (not a blender) and juice veggies, and drink about 10oz twice a day w/ a meal for about a week. Yes, by juicing you're eliminating most of the fiber.
Example, eat something for protein, then juice together spinach, brocc, ginger, carrots, etc. I've done this for a couple of weeks w/o comprimising and it's worked wonders.
sexcmama
sexcmama
United States
2006/12/06, 09:37 PM
has anyone here heard of water fasting and if so do you know if its safe i was thinking of giving it a try cuz i heard you could lose 1-2 pounds every day while you are doing it:dumbbell:
2006/12/06, 10:05 PM
will you lose weight? uh yea by creating a caloric deficit...and losing extra water by depleting glycogen stores....etc...is it in any way healthy? not by a mile....may as well start cutting off bodyparts to 'lose' some weight...

start eating better and less and you'll weight just as well and be healthier...
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/06, 10:06 PM
I've heard of it and you should start to feel weak after about 36hrs!

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/12/07, 02:51 PM
If starving yourself and drinking water (water is great by the way, drink lots of it) were the healthy answer people would not be dieing daily from Anerexia. Its not about weight loss as much as it is about getting healthy. Eat, Drink, Excercise Healthy = Getting & Staying Healthy.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2006/12/14, 03:44 PM
Well if you really want to "cleanse yourself" why not simply take a bunch of diuretics? Just kidding.

When carbo loading for an event performance is far more effective for a subject to completely deplete the levels of glycogen from their body before fully replenishing them merely days before the event.

I have no idea if depleting nutrients from your body will allow easier reabsorption of them upon reintroduction, just because one thing is true doesn't mean that another will be. As far as purposely putting yourself into a calorie deficit when you're not trying to lose weight goes I'd say that it's a bad idea. Just stick with a multivitamin. :)
adalos
adalos
United States
2006/12/15, 11:20 PM
i was talking to this surgeon a few months ago during a defib certification class i was taking, and he told me the average adult carries between 10-15 pounds of fecal matter in their lower intestines/bowels. it was his opinion that a cleansing diet every once in a while for the purpose of removing said matter was a good idea, but that it should be done properly and with the guidance of a doctor or nutritionist.