Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Exercise help or suggestions

cindyllmb
cindyllmb
Canada
2008/03/23, 06:02 PM
I just joined the gym 2 weeks ago. I'm in the process of losing weight and have a ways to go so far I'm down 34 lbs and things are starting to get jiggly so i thought i'd better get into the gym and work on that. These are the weights I do leg extensions, lower back extensions, seated chest press, leg curl, leg press, seated row, shoulder press, ab crunch machine, floor crunches and back extensions as well as tredmill, cross trainer and cardio class. Not sure if there's any other weights or exercises i should be doing any suggestion would be appreciated.
:dumbbell:
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/03/24, 08:47 AM
You lost 34 pounds in 2 weeks?
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/24, 09:33 AM
I think she meant that since she's lost 34 lbs she's gotten more loose skin, so she joined the gym two weeks ago to tighten it all up. At least I hope so.. 34 lbs in two weeks is pretty much impossible!
usfDAN
usfDAN
United States
2008/03/27, 04:22 PM
have you tried anything with free weights at all?
2008/03/28, 12:06 AM
well basically i instruct people who just begin resistance training for the first time to basically hit at least one of every compound movement... Horizontal/verticle press and pull. Some kind of compound leg lift .... Squat, lunge, leg press ect. And an abdominal exercise. Depending on a persons condition, balance, and goals i would change this type of routine.... but for a good start, or foundation this would be a good way to go about it. After a few weeks of this kind of routine u can then venture out.
koya1893
koya1893
United States
2008/04/03, 08:55 AM
JIGGLY. I keep hearing that word often these days. I sure hope the 34lbs. was lost over time not in the short period you had mentioned. If it is in that short period the only thing that you can loose that fast is muscle mass which weigh more than fat lost. which is the result from most of these diets being pushed to general public and it make people look like "walking dead" and not healthy looking and very weak.

I've encountered people recovering from those diests and re-building what muscle mass they lost soo fast was not easy, it was harder than starting someone who have not done any exercise most were very weak from lack of strenght from losing so much muscle mass.

I caution you from losing weight so fast. Remember there's good weight lost and bad weight lost. Good is the slow and modirate (fat) and bad is the fast and furious lost(muscle mass). Do not cut down on your caloric intake drastically, moderate until your system get use to not having the large amount of calorie to rely on.

May I recommend get involve on building muscle mass. Remember 1lbs. of lean muscle burns 35-50 cal. an hour being statice. Hence more muscle mass the faster you can burn fat and cal. Think of muscle as termites they eat 24/7 hence if you are lean or large amount of muscle you can burn some serious fat and cal. Also, think of gaining muscle and then maintaining them when you reach the size and weight you desire. Keep in mind you might weight the same but be smaller. Another senario I push to my clients is: compair a watermellon to a baseball, both weighing the same. baseball being lean (muscle)and the watermellon being nothing but a large mass taking up a large space (fat).