Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Effective Weight Gaining

TBZ
TBZ
United Kingdom
2008/01/16, 08:45 AM
Hi! I'm 22, male, 6'4" and only weigh around 142lbs. I really want to bulk up both mass and muscle. Due to my work schedule and time and stuff it's not that easy to eat three to four decent meals throughout the day. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how i can get the extra calories i need. I have been thinking about the weight gaining shakes but, not sure how effective these are. i am very active as well which probably effects the rate at which i burn calories.....Please help!
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/17, 11:55 AM
Take a shot of olive oil each day.
Eat more nuts. A serving of nuts is pretty high in calories.
Adding a shake in here and there will help. It doesn't necessarily have to be a weight gainer shake.

If you are 6'4 and only 142, I don't care how fast your metabolism is or how active you are, you are eating like a bird. I bet if you counted your calories for a day it would be under 2000. Just eat bigger servings. It might a little hard at first and you might have to force feed yourself a little, but your body gets used to it fast.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/29, 11:53 AM
Hey TBZ I feel your pain am 6'2 and back in november I a was 150lb and I hated every second of it so I can't even begin to think how you feel about your weight like you I never could figure out how to gain weight people always say it more which I tried but the more I ate the faster it came out the other end. The over eating thing works for some people usally people with low metabolisms for guys like us you need to work out high reps alot of weight and for the mass CALORIES. eat alot of them the average person burns about 2000 to 2500 a day so if your eating under that your not going to get anywhere. Eat about 3000 a day to start and work your way up to 4000 and its not hard you will be suppries of the foods that have alot of calories that you can just eat in a min. Like Pemdas said the olive oil shot is nice I tired it for a while but its only about 300 calories a shot if that and it burns and taste like crap i have here a list of foods or quick snacks and trust me it works am 166 now and climbing almost 10lbs of month and its staying on to. Foods ( candy bar 290 caloies, snake cake 290calories each, pop tart 290 calories) just look on the back of what you eat only get high in calorie foods and count the amount you take also try this all call it my OE shake 4 eggs and 16ml of oj mixed 3 times a day puts on weight and if you do this and intake at least 3000 to 3500 calories a day you will put on 2lbs a week true pounds
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/01/29, 01:43 PM
I understand the just eat philosphy to an extent but it can also do as much damage as good.

Stick wtih what Pemdas said, olive oil, nuts (peanuts, walnuts, almonds, etc.), eat more beef. It has higher fat content than chicken but you need calories. Get a jar of peanut butter and a spoon and eat a spoonful a couple of times per day. Drink more milk (2% even).....just some ideas that I'm using.

I went from 155 in September to about 165 in December got sick and back to 155-157. In two weeks I'm back up to about 160-161 and not gaining much fat.

============
Quoting from Blkprince99:

i have here a list of foods or quick snacks and trust me it works am 166 now and climbing almost 10lbs of month and its staying on to. Foods ( candy bar 290 caloies, snake cake 290calories each, pop tart 290 calories) just look on the back of what you eat only get high in calorie foods and count the amount you take
=============
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/29, 03:54 PM
eating alot of calories is better then trying to over eat thats hard on the body and the olive oil was nice but it was starting to burn my throt calories are the best way to gain weight and keep it am tall its hard for me to gain just like TBZ so I know where his coming from so just eating peanut butter and drinking milk is not going to cut it for him
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/30, 07:55 AM
So exactly what is the difference between "eating a lot of calories and overeating"?

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 12:20 PM
2 king size candy car 780 calories the average meal is 300-400 calories and a meal will fill you up faster then 2 candy bars but less calories. But if you eat 3 high in calorie meals not 10 and a bunch of high in calorie snakes like candy bars or snake cakes and also my OE shake it works out better then you can consume over 3000 calories a day easy and gain weight with out loosing it to the tolit and dealing with the pain of over eating because i treid that and not only dead I waste money and my drive and taste for food but I didn't gain any weight but with the calorie counting am up 7.lbs in 3 weeks a real solid not goin anyhwere 7.lbs so that is the difference
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 12:37 PM
And also to anyone who's trying to tell TBZ how to gain weight and you have never had a problem with it before you should not talk like what your saying is fact because I know (Pemdas) always tells people to do the olive shots and the peanut butter thing which I did it worked a little but thats only about 150-200 calories when you can it a great tasting candy bar and get double that plus (Pemdas) stated that he has never done it him self because he dosn't have a hard time putting on weight and by looking at (7707mutt)am sure he dosn't either all am saying is if you have never been in (TBZ0) shoes don't try to understand where he is coming from I am 6,2 and a half and I use to be 152 not to long ago and I got hell from every one your skinny your weak your this your that and his 6,4 and 142 man I can't even think of what they say to him. But I do know how hard it can be so thats why I felt the need to say something

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 12:44 PM
But (TBZ) calories its the way to go am not going to be like most of the people on here you ask them a question or what you should do and they come at you with (Mind,Body,Cleans, and a full body work out = am talkig out my butt) no you asked how to get real weight calories count them start by eating 3000-3500 a day and after a week or so add more until you gtet to 5000 a day and you will be 170 plus by May no lie just read the label on every thing you eat the serving size and the calories and try to get at least 290 calories or more for each serving size I have put on 7.lbs doing this in 3 weeks real weight it comes fast and it stays and it easier safer and cheaper then over eating
2008/01/30, 12:47 PM
that's the most bullshit i have read in a while...perhaps you should stop dispensing advice prince....eating candy bars is not the way to weight gain..

plenty of ways to eat lots of calories without resulting to junk that destroys your health and well-being.

go to john berardi's website www.precisenutrition.com and read all of his advice(his forum...and highly recommend his new book 2nd edition). Go to www.t-nation.com and read their articles on weight gain.

Eat more carbs and healthy fats in general. Rice cooker/microwave can go a long way in cooking various rice varieties, quinoa, buckwheat,....oatmeal, starchy vegetables like yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and various whole wheat pasta are all great....peanut/sunflower/etc butter, nuts, seeds, olive oil, avacados, etc are all good...eggs and milk are other easy ways of consuming more calories/protein....

a protein supplement like muscle milk or protein powder with milk is also great. Many people use milk as a fairly healthy way of putting on weight. You can also look for healthy weight gainer recipes that include peanut butter, bit of cream, protein powder, flax oil, etc....this site has a whole section...perhaps time to explore it...protein bars can also help...Costco for example sells 24 bars for 19.99$ with 30g protein per bar and about 300 calories...still not great but good on the go and better than a candy bar...

cook food ahead of time and put them in plastic containers for easy preheating or heating before leaving for the day...

however it all comes down to total calories consume and net daily calories...you're barely eating to be 6'4 and 140lb...that or you run marathons...
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 01:15 PM
I never said just eat candybars (menace to the page) I was giving an example of how something so small can have a bigger effect then a whole meal please read before you type. And did you say oatmeal does not do anything for weight gain and all that food you say it the 20 dollar bs bars that are hard as hell to it and taste like crap and all you get are 300 calories. If TBZ listens to your crap like all the other people who gain weight easy and talk out their butt about eat this it that I listen to that crap for years and gained no weight. I have been in his shoes and tried all that crap your saying and am sure he has he needs to eat 3 high in calorie meals a day and other things with before and in between his meals to get the calories he needs 3000 plus the protien in the meal so cut the crap
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/30, 01:37 PM
Gaining weight IS as simple as eating more. There is nothing magically about. If you are not gaining weight then you are not eating enough. IT IS THAT SIMPLE. If you didn't not gain weight then you didn't follow the advice you were given and were not eating enough. That is it. You can't argue. There is no magical body type that can't gain weight.

============
Quoting from Blkprince99:

I never said just eat candybars (menace to the page) I was giving an example of how something so small can have a bigger effect then a whole meal please read before you type. And did you say oatmeal does not do anything for weight gain and all that food you say it the 20 dollar bs bars that are hard as hell to it and taste like crap and all you get are 300 calories. If TBZ listens to your crap like all the other people who gain weight easy and talk out their butt about eat this it that I listen to that crap for years and gained no weight. I have been in his shoes and tried all that crap your saying and am sure he has he needs to eat 3 high in calorie meals a day and other things with before and in between his meals to get the calories he needs 3000 plus the protien in the meal so cut the crap
=============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/30, 01:48 PM
LOL Yes I gain used to gain easily. BUT i was eating an ave of 4-5000 calories a day and I was JUST MAINTAINING a body weight of 320. Stop whining about how we do not know this or that. I have been on this site for 6 years....I have been lifting for 15. Simple fact is that you so called hardgainers are not eating enough. iF YOU DO NOT LIKE THAT STOP ASKING FOR HELP.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 01:49 PM
i was eating 3 times a day big meals with snacks but was not told to look at the calories the meals I was eating where at the most 400 calories if that and one of the shakes I make not is 500 and I drink them 3 times a day before and after each meal because they go down that easy and plus when I was eating all the time the more I ate the more I was on the tolit and poeple told me because the over eating thing is stupid does not work for everyone well maybe people who gain weigth if they smell food LOL
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 02:15 PM
4000-5000 calories a day will only maintain your weight thats true but me and TBZ are not your size am almost half that 4000-5000 calories a day will give me the wieght I need
2008/01/30, 02:42 PM
You right ...eventho I from 140 to 210 while dropping 10 points of body fat naturally...i know nothing about gaining weight...ofcourse you know what it takes by gaining 15 lb...and doing bench and curls...alright there chief...

My meals are 1000 calories each probably...I have a hard time understanding where you get your facts...400 calorie meal is some tiny weight watchers portion...

Oatmeal is great for general well being/health and it's good complex carb...protein bars are not all that great but they are better snack on the go than candy bars you brough up in your example and have high proportion of protein relative to total calories.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 02:50 PM
my meals are 1400 calories each am talking about the average meal and your 140- 210 am not talking about when you where in middle school am talking about doing that in a year like am doing
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/30, 03:12 PM
If you went from 140 to 210 in a year most of that would be fat.
2008/01/30, 03:40 PM
If by middle school u mean 16-17 to now at almost 26 then yes. My problem with you is not that you're a stubborn person not willing to listen to someone more experienced, it's that you're giving HORRIBLE advice to new people who may actually listen to your bullshit suggestions and get no results or worse yet screw up their health.

Here's my final suggestion: Shift your focus from gaining weight to gaining strength in major lifts(squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, bors, etC)because as a natural lifter(i am assuming you dont juice) your body transformation will follow your strength improvements. So I would set your goals at around 225 bench, 315 squat, 405 deadlift, 185 push press, 225 bor, etc...as you approach these goals with good form ...your body will transform accordingly...
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 03:50 PM
ok 1 I won't take the juice because once you stop the muscle and weight goes 2) I bench over 250 now and I use to clean more I just want to put on the weight the bulk am all muscle solid I betI have less body fat then everyone on here. I just want the bulk so to Pemdas I don't care if its fat I just want to bulk up once I get it then I will take the time if it takes years thats fine to get cut
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/30, 03:57 PM
Your ignorance is killing me inside.
2008/01/30, 03:59 PM
I would be willing to bet that my bodyfat is lower than yours while I am at 205-210 right now...I am also stronger than you in absolute and wilks terms...so perhaps time to be quiet and educate yourself...your opinions are based in nothing...

I never said you should take juice...reading comprehension is fundamental....I said that as a natural lifter you should do X...

you do realize that fat doesnt magically turn to muscle? In later trying to lose that bodyfat/weight you'll all but likely drop down to about the same bw and in the process lose muscle...
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 04:00 PM
I know to you all your life die hard lifters am anoying but I have been doing what your talking about all my life and frankly its not working. LIke my brother his 185-188 and he benches 380 doing what some of you would say is wrong
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 04:03 PM
and you want me to abandon whats working for me and go back to what never has because you all think it best
2008/01/30, 04:07 PM
you're not listening to us...when is the last time u actually lifted heavy in squats, deadlifts, etc?....doing same old sh1t wrong over and over doesnt mean you know what you're doing or that it's working...

basic fundamental lifting principles work for everyone....period...provided that you actually do those things....we're not talking about world class levels where genetics begin to play a big role....we're talking about basic gains as a beginner...
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/30, 05:09 PM
am trying to gain mass by doing that I will gain weight if I get stronger I get stronger am not in it fot the strength just the look and size becasue most guy want to be big and strong because it makes them fell tough but they still get their ass kicked I just want the size for a better look thats it. All the rest you can have because I don't need to be strong to handle any business that comes my way
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/01/31, 05:56 AM
Mods,
What happened to the rest of the posts in this thread. I don't like the censorship that I see here. It makes the lasts posts of Pemdas and Menace3000 look retarded. Are they supposed to be talking to themselves? Or is Menace3000 arguing with Pemdas? Before you remove the posts from Blkprince99 I think you should take a look at the rest of the thread and see how dumb it looks now. You might as well remove the whole thread. Besides part of the fun is watching people who know something call bulls--t on someone and then expalin why they are wrong. If an argument ensues so be it.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/31, 07:53 AM
THis thread is now closed. Any more posting of ANY kind will be deleted. Have a nice day!:big_smile:

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

2008/01/31, 08:05 AM
Well that was not much of a response. The guy may have been an idiot, but should not have been deleted. I agree with merrillj, the censorship on this site is usually not justified.

============
Well that was not much of a response. The guy may have been an idiot, but should not have been deleted. I agree with merrillj, the censorship on this site is usually not justified.

Quoting from 7707mutt:

THis thread is now closed. Any more posting of ANY kind will be deleted. Have a nice day!:big_smile:

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/31, 08:14 AM
I think this was turning into a pointless maneuver, trying to tell someone something they refuse to hear.

The mods on this site have been chosen because they have exhibited good judgement. We don't squelch lightly.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/31, 08:17 AM
Listen, I really do not need to explain this to anyone. BUT, this thread is really not going anywhere but downhill. I closed it cause it WILL turn into a pissing contest and name calling. As for why he was banned that really is none of any ones business. I will say that in other posts he was extremely un cool.

Now lets all move on ok?

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

2008/01/31, 08:21 AM
Amy that may be true, but still was no need to censor certain sections. The post looks even more ridiculous without his comments.

============
Quoting from asimmer:

I think this was turning into a pointless maneuver, trying to tell someone something they refuse to hear.

The mods on this site have been chosen because they have exhibited good judgement. We don't squelch lightly.
=============
2008/01/31, 08:25 AM
I am sure this will get deleted as well, but what is said in another post should not determine what happens in other posts. If you are going to put your personal life story on this site you have to expect what you call "uncool" things being said about you.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

Listen, I really do not need to explain this to anyone. BUT, this thread is really not going anywhere but downhill. I closed it cause it WILL turn into a pissing contest and name calling. As for why he was banned that really is none of any ones business. I will say that in other posts he was extremely un cool.

Now lets all move on ok?

=============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/31, 08:25 AM
Ka that is what we have to work with at this time. I know you have been here long enough.....I only wanted to make sure he is not allowed to damage the site more. Unfortunatly the post will have to suffer that is all.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/31, 08:26 AM
Well whatever, the way it works is all his posts get deleted. I am done explaining this

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/01/31, 08:28 AM
And no you do not that is why his post was deleted......that is my JOB here. Sorry if it ruffles someones feathers but that is the deal.

============
Quoting from KA:

I am sure this will get deleted as well, but what is said in another post should not determine what happens in other posts. If you are going to put your personal life story on this site you have to expect what you call "uncool" things being said about you.

=============

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/31, 08:33 AM
Ka - I know it is unfortunate when you delete the guy people are arguing with, it makes the other people sound very odd indeed (look at my profile comments, some guy was on there making comments, I responded, the owners deleted the guy and it looks like I am attacking some innocent woman who made a nice comment, lol)but until the site updates and we get some new mod tools, that is how it will be.

I have no idea what else this person has put forth, but I think Scott is pretty fair in his judgements.

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/31, 09:41 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/31, 11:17 AM
BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/01/31, 11:33 AM
2008/01/31, 12:18 PM
Now that made me laugh

============
Quoting from TheBlkKing99:

So what was all the fuss about
=============

--------------
www.sherdog.com - forums
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/01, 08:59 AM
OKay - here is the deal - i have reinstated the posts here, I am giving blkprince99 a second chance if he wants it...HOWEVER - blkprince99 try to take constructive criticism and try to listen. The people here really are trying to steer you right, they are all spending a lot of time trying to help you and answer you questions.

Everyone else - let's keep it civil and use this as an opportunity to dispell ridiculous fitness and lifting myths that are continually perpetuated by people who don't know any better,

Bulking up on junk is building with inferior materials and will affect your health in the long run. Bulk on clean foods, add calories until you find you are adding mass. AND mass takes time - everyone wants to gain 10 pounds a month - most people are lucky to gain 10 pounds of lean mass a year. the spectacular mass gains you hear about in ads for supplements (they are trying to sell you something, remember?) are usually exxagerated or have to be 1) beginners and/or 2) using a supplement that is under-the-counter.

Squats, deadlifts, big compound moves stimulate more growth hormone - hence YOUR WHOLE BODY GROWS not just your legs. This is proven. I won't argue about it.

Men/boys who go into the weight room, do 100 exercises for chest and biceps, then never work legs and come on and ask how to grow exasperate me. Especially when they refuse to listen to people who have grown and have put the time and effort in.

And last, but not least - WE ARE ALL HARD GAINERS. Take that and reread it. The only fast gainers are either genetically gifted or using illegal supplements.

It takes time, effort, and consistency. You will and can build muscle, but you have to listen and learn.

Okay, rant over.

Now quit making new member IDs or you will get banned from the site (they can track it all to your computer).

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/01, 09:02 AM
Oh - and one more thing - there is a search engine at the bottom of the screen - it is called Fit Buddy - if you think no one has ever asked how to gain weight, how to get bigger forearms, how to get bigger arms, etc before you need to go to fitbuddy and enter the question - it will pull up relevant posts full of lots of advice. Tehn if you fail to get your SPECIFIC question answered, you could post it on one of those threads.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

BlkPrince99
BlkPrince99
United States
2008/02/01, 10:32 AM
Thank you for letting me back in asimmer and I hear you and I do and have taken alot of advice I have gotton on here and used it I was just making a simple suggestion that all of it does not work for everyone and I never meant or was saying to gain weigtht off junk food thats would be crazy I was just giving an example but thanks asimmer
niles1998
niles1998
United States
2008/02/18, 04:34 PM
I am 5'6" and recently got into hardcore bodybuilding and I gotta say that, simply, eating is the key. I have up'ed my caloric intake from about 1800 cal a day , to 3450 a day, and in a 12 week period I have went from 131.7 with 9.2% body fat to 138.6 with an 8.4% body fat, for the first couple of weeks it is hard to throw down that food, but you have to do it, it does get easier, and the right diet paired with awesome workouts will leave results.
merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/18, 08:56 PM
Congradulations on your success niles. Keep it up.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/19, 09:14 AM
Nice work, Niles!