Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

doing cardio with knee pain?

howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/02/23, 06:10 PM
hey everyone,

about 2 weeks ago i was on the treadmill and the belt stalled as i was hitting a stride on my left foot. it jarred my knee pretty bad, and i have been in intense pain (bad enough to be taking vicodin) ever since.

i can't get to a doctor because i'm between insurance and can't afford it, but i need to know what to do about cardio until i can get something done about it.

even non-impact cardio hurts, and i can barely make it through my warmup before lifting. is not doing my cardio going to hurt me? i'm concerned about it.

please let me know what you think, it's greatly appreciated.

--------------
success comes before work only in the dictionary. that's right.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/23, 11:59 PM
Don't do anything until you've seen a doctor. If you do, you have two basic outcomes:

1. It wasn't hurt bad, and you didn't hurt it worse doing cardio (great).

2. It was hurt, and you're tearing it apart, which will lead to way more medical treatment than you would have needed if you'd attained proper care.

Simple reasoning here, really. Number 1 is not worth Number 2 (and not just because Number 2 stinks).

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/02/24, 10:48 PM
thanks for the input ogun, but i have another question...

if i'm not doing cardio, do i need to adjust my nutritional plan to make up for the extra calories that aren't being burned? i'm still lifting, just no leg work. i'm going to take your advice though and cut the cardio to avoid damaging it further. any help on the nutrition part?

--------------
success comes before work only in the dictionary. that's right.
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/25, 09:10 PM
Lots of people will disagree with me, but I stick firmly to my diet beliefs because they have worked without a hitch for two years.

Figure out how many calories you burn per day (maintenance calories, or Basal Metabolic Rate) and then define your goal. If it is to lose, under cut that number (added, if you choose, to the number of calories you burned in exercise that day) by 500 calories. You will lose about a pound per week, give or take.

I don't care about carbs or fats. I know they matter, but I've just stuck to calorie counts like super glue and have not been disappointed. I was shooting for about 1850 calories on my cutting cycle and now I'm at 2150 (but I allow myself to go over by about 300) for my maintenance cycle.

I have occasional cheat days. I eat whatever I want once per week, average.

My weight fluctuates, but it's very predictable. I know when it's coming or going, just as I know when I'm gaining or losing strength.

For your nutrition plans, my advice is count calories while taking in balanced meals and about 1g of protein per lb. of your body weight per day.

Best of luck :D