Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Do supplements help or should I take?

workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/22, 10:21 AM
You go into a GNC and there are tons of things there (expensive too) With me being female and 43 I have no clue what works and even if I should take anything. My workouts seem fine..sometimes I get tired but working up to higher weights is a slow slow process. I.E. for dumbell chest flys I can only lift at present with 12 pd weights. Just totally not educated on what works and what doesnt. So any info would be interesting to have.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/26, 04:16 PM
I highly recommend 5 grams L-glutamine after your work-ouy and again before bed. (You can read about it at netrition.com when you click on the product ) The most important supplement is your vitamins and minerals. Spend your money on these first.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/26, 08:54 PM
I seen a vitamen for women at GNC - just waiting on their upcoming sale so I am going to try as I don't really take any now. I'll try the L-glutamine! Your arms look great! Something I would like to get but I have read that if you don't have muscular arms to begin with - that you probably won't get the results like some women. I know my biceps have gotten developed some but I can't get any contour to my arms...they just look like normal goofy arms! But, alas, if I want to make myself feel good,I do the guy muscle pose with my arms out to the side and fists in the air...now there....I'm seeing improvement...(if I do a side profile......Boo-Hiss on me!!!) Oh well.......I'm still trying!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/26, 10:51 PM
When I first started weight training 13 years ago I had STICK arms. Up until the age of 26 I did no weights. I basically did cardio. I stayed thin (5'7" between 104-110
pds!)with running, aerobic class and little food. Needless to say I had very little muscle (except in my legs). Well, I discovered weight training and everything changed. I now weigh in around 124-128 when not in the competition mode(I shrunk to 5'6"..the age factor...)I went from about 94 pds of lean body mass to about 110. What a difference! SO back to the point. You can start out with no muscle in your arms too get arms. Do it with consistent weight training, so hit those arms hard and don't be afraid of the weights. I have very tiny wrists so it took me time to get my wrists and hands strong enough to handle the heavy weights but now I dbell curl 25-30 pds. Keep at it , it will pay off.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/26, 10:54 PM
Oh btw depending on your body fat....your arms will take on more contour with a lower bodyfat level. Don't forget the triceps.. the will give you a nice shape. Thats a trouble spot later in life so start on them now!
So get the Vita/Minerals and L-glutamine for now you can add other stuff later if needed.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/27, 11:34 AM
I had a body fat measurement at the gym (I know -- calipers arent the best source but I can't find one that does the water way) but there I was at 19. So, in due time, I know I can get it down more. Also want to find a more reliable method! Im only lifting (weird) 12 on dumbell curls and chest flys...my pueny biceps can only handle three reps of 12-15 doing 10 pounders..but that may be because its the very last arm exercise of my 12 or so different ones. I should write down the ones Im doing to see if it is a good plan! I think I'll do that and see how it rates here!
You skinny girl! I weigh now 114 but stand 5'3! So I definitely try to watch it and could do better (those little snicker xmas bites...keep calling me!) Thanks for your time here and answers...much appreciated...my email is sharpp218@aol if any good ideas you have to share...
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/27, 03:10 PM
I hate to bud in here girls...but I am also in your age group and am fairly new to weight training. I was wondering about the vits and minerals. are we talking here a multi vit with minerals? I never used to take.. but started since weight training one multivit with minerals each morning and that is all I take. I hear protein is crucial to muscle growth and being vegetarian I know I am not getting enough.Seems so much easier to get an over load of carbs..than it is protein. Anyway so is a mutli vit with minerals enough? I train 5 days/week.Audrey
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/27, 10:32 PM
I take vitamins and minerals in a liquid form from American Longevity. I get tired of all the pills. But really I don't think it matters if you take a Multi vitamin-mineral in one pill or you get them in seperate bottles. The key is to get them. I know I don't eat enough food and variety to get all my vitamins. Training also puts stress on the body so you need the anti-oxidents. If you can afford it try the L-glutamine.
Yes protein is key to muscle building. If you are seriously training it is recommmended you get about 1 gram protein per pound of body weight (need to drink more water along with this extra protein)Even vegetarians can eat protein you just have to be creative. There are different types of vegetarians so see what protein sourses fit into your diet.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/27, 10:39 PM
BTW 19% bodyfat is a great place to start. Keep up the good work and those biceps will start showing up!!!!!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/11/28, 03:28 AM
Very often I see retired athletes almost all destroyed because they never got the right stuff they needed for their bodies when they where training hard. When doing a sport seriously (or at high level), you keep stressing the body and the joints. You can do that for some time, months, years, depends on your genetic, but in the long run your body will automatically say stop.
So that's why it's soooo important to know what you are putting inside the mouth to feed the body. We only got this one body, so be nice to it.
Of course we all want to look slim, strong and beautiful, no prob but just don't forget eating your vitamines....
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/28, 08:04 AM
What exactly does the L-glutamin do? Im thinking it repairs the muscle after working out...but not sure. (OF course I could read up on it) Unfortunately for me...I lost my job in Sept. and Im now having to buckle down on spending for any extras so that stuff will be put on hold. Meanwhile, I am sure I can find a multi vitamen and just take it.
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/28, 02:18 PM

Essential amino acid (also contained in AMINOLOGIC in smaller quantity), whose major task exists in the protein synthesis for the formation of muscle mass. L-l-Glutamin is the most frequently occurring Amiosaeure (about 20% of all amino acids) and nevertheless can it occur that the body cannot produce sufficient of it (with continuous physical stress, physical continuous stress, with injuries, after operations or heavy accidents the need rises very strongly).

Scientific investigations seem to confirm that l-l-Glutamin is the most important amino acid for the protein synthesis. If too little is to l-l-Glutamin at the disposal, the organism of proteins from the existing muscle mass gets itself and converts these into l-l-Glutamin and in the consequence into energy. In this way muscle proteins go lost (one can very often observe particularly with older persons), muscle strands become thinner and flabbier.

L-l-Glutamin becomes also the synthesis of Glutathion, an important Coenzym (Glyoxalase) and probably strongest needed anti-oxide to. In addition it contains the components for the formation of glow amine acid and GABA. Glow amine acid is probably the most important transmitter material, which is for the Kummunikation between the individual brain cells from greatest importance. It is therefore also often called "brain fuel". It neutralizes ammonia, which affects the brain activity laehmend, by converting it into glutamin. Glutamin again serves the synthesis of glow amine acid.

GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid) is functioned the most important inhibitorische neurotransmitter in the central nervous system and at more than 30% of all synapses (connectors, and/or schaltstellen between the nerve cells or between nerve cells and muscle cells) in the brain than transmitter material. In back Marks obtain it the presynaptic inhibition, i.e. them steer the speed, with which neurons (nerve cells) are excited or restrained.

L-l-Glutamin provides in addition for a healthy digesting system, and secures in particular the power supply of the small intestine range. With patients with small intestine complaints, ulcers or Duenndarmatrophie one determined a significant lack of l-l-Glutamin.

What is contained into l-l-glutamine?
A cap contains 500 mg pure l-l-Glutamin.

As food addition one takes one to two caps daily on empty stomach.

Commercial form, packing and price:
We offer l-l-glutamine in bottles with 120 caps too for each to 500mg.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/11/28, 03:26 PM
This is good info but really how does one know what the body needs or what the body lacks? How would I know if I need glutamine or any other supplement? Info to this would be great.
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/28, 05:28 PM
Well when you fill out your profile here at FT you get an idea of what you need. I also did a profile on cyberdiet. Then I took the middle of both recommendations and filled aprofile on fitday.com and hve been tracking there to see if Im coming close to those recommendations...do I have time on my hands ..of what...lol Anyway it helps me know where Im at with my diet content.