Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Diet advice for a shift worker!

ohmygod_itsme
ohmygod_itsme
United Kingdom
2008/09/23, 06:10 AM
Hi all.

I am looking for advice on how I should be eating. I was eating little and often, high protein foods before but I have recently started a new job which involves a lot of shift work. Unfortunately I only get one half hour break for food and the shifts are quite harsh in that they are early mornings, late evenings or nights.

Any advice on how I should be eating?

Thanks in advance
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/09/23, 02:57 PM
Can you carry a bag of peanuts in your pocket? Eat right before work, during your 30 minute break, sneak the peanuts if you have to, then right when you get off work.

You don't get a smoke/coffee break for 10 min or anything? Bathroom breaks? Can't grab a sandwich or something easy at any point?
ohmygod_itsme
ohmygod_itsme
United Kingdom
2008/09/25, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately no, I work on trains so I don't get breaks. Any toilet breaks are exactly that and whilst the idea of carrying nuts is a good one, I am allergic to them!

Thanks for your help though!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/09/25, 11:03 AM
Plan ahead. Shift work sucks when trying to bodybuild. Many times this is where 'liquid meals' can be of great benefit. Mix a couple up in shaker cups, and you can chug those fairly quickly. Also bars may come in handy. You can buy them, or make your own. Put healthy stuff like raw veggies in baggies and carry them with you.

I worked those shifts for 6 yrs., and managed to still train and diet for competions. So it can be done.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer