Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Desperate for Help

hsimpson
hsimpson
United States
2003/09/16, 09:23 PM
Hello there, I am a 35 year Male who is on the ropes so to speak. In my younger days I was Lean and Mean. Now, I am diabetic, 330lbs and struggling with weight loss. It seems I am always working, either for a Paycheck or around the house (wife + 3 kids = no free time ;-) ). Anyway, I have tried Atkins (not good for DB-II folks), and other *diets*. I just cannot seem to lose the weight. If anything I seem to gain more. I eat 3 meals a day usually 1 medium portion of such. There are the occasional Hamburgers and fries (Red Robin . yumm ;).

For a while earlier this year I would take the Family to the YMCA and walk a mile and a half around the track. I seemed to be losing weight. Then I contracted Gout in my left foot stopping me from walking around the track for a few weeks. After that work picked up and I work anywhere between 50 and 70 hours a week.

When I drive the 1.5 hours home through traffic I am beat after the long day of work. Suffice it to say I have no energy left to goto the YMCA at the end of the day.

Anyway, I know I am belly aching and that many of you who have *Got of your ass and just done it* are laughing at me I am sure. I have talked with my Doctor and he just shrugs his shoulders. I guess my HMO does not cover Diet advice from him. Basically I would like to know What Diet is good for a Type II Diabetic with little to no time on his hands. I know I need to Excersize however finding the time to do so (as well as the time when I have enough GOYA as well) is difficult. Even now I write this forum while I wait for programs to compile (I am a Software Engineer.. go figure).

Any constructive advice (and most likely the ocassional jeer and laugh) is appreciated. I need to do something soon or I fear that I will be beyond any help or hope.

Thank you
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/09/17, 10:51 AM
First of all realx it can be done. There are people here that have the same condition as you do and are fine. As for your Doctor...get a new one he obviously has not enough training to help you. AS for exercise, start off by walking around the block a few times ya know? You can add weight training in to all you need is a hour 3 times a week. Let you wife know that you need this to stay there with them, you know you are n a path to a short life if you keep this up. Email me here is you have more questions.

--------------
Eat More, Drink More, and Lift Harder than you thought you could, welcome to Becoming!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/17, 05:03 PM
hsimpson, no one here is laughing at you. ft has a member that has been through what you have. Her screenname is sandysford, you should read her profile and email her directly to see if she can give you some tips. If you don't hear from her, her husband is bb1fit and maybe he can put you in touch with her. She hasn't been onsite much lately, but I think she could help you. In the meantime, read some of the posts or do a search for diabetes or diabetic and see what you can find. Good luck.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2003/09/19, 12:33 PM
Hey - you're taking some good steps, just by being here. You do need to make a decision to do this thing called fitness. I have a 2 1/2 hour commute - each way - the joys of NYC - family and all that stuff, too. So I know you can pursue fitness - if its your real priority. You do need good medical advice.

Some simple stuff to do today - more water - more small meals - 5-6 a day - walk or take the stairs when you can.

I belong to a gym near my office and one near my home. I use my lunch hour to work out. I used to work through my lunch hour - for years. Funny, it didn't really get noticed. Now I take time to "be physical". It breaks up my day, gives me better focus, and I usually solve all the tough problems in the gym - I love the repetitive motion and rhythm of my work out.

This isn't about "exercising" or "eating right" - its about living right. It about how you choose to use each hour, how you fuel your body and mind, what you expect the future to hold. Its about taking control over the things you can do. Simple? No. Fun? Sometimes. Hurts? Often. Being alive and engaged in life? OH YEAH.
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2003/09/22, 02:51 PM
The above said it all. It is about living right. You need to think I want to be healthier and get a lifestyle to support it one thing at a time. For instance you could say today I will cut my portions in half. When you mastered that for a week, you can add today I will drink at least 10 glasses of water. Little victories add up and are realistic to obtain rather than the daunting OMG I need to lose 150 lbs. You definitely need a session with a nutritionist given your diabetes. Type II goes hand in hand with obesity and you can get to the point where it can be controlled with diet only without pills. You can do this.. The American Diabetic diet is a good idea not only for you but for all people as well as it limits empty carbs and high glycemic foods. If you can't walk on the foot, get on the bike or rowing machine. I bet you could do that. Eventually with dietary changes and pounds lost your gout will improve and you will be able to walk again. Swimming is a good choice for you as well. And let us not forget the support from some great cyber friends here who have been there. Hope you did not mind a female jumping in.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/09/23, 11:46 AM
My wife is a type 2 diabetic, the bodybuilding and diet that goes with it and the entire lifestyle has totally transformed her. She no longer takes any meds, blood sugars are good, and she is again healthy and happy. She too was overweight, 100 lbs. She has lost all of this and is working for bb competitions now. This can be beaten. Start slowly, ease your way into things. Don't totally deprive right off the bat, as it will lead to uncontrollable cravings. Your life, your well being is in your hands. You have a good attitude, you can make it happen. Do a search on here, my wife put up a good post toward diabetics that may be good for you to read. If you care to email me, I will try to find it for you.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2003/10/03, 08:44 PM
Yo hs!

You came to the right place, brother. Please listen to the advice from these folks. You have at your disposal a support group AND a wealth of collective knowledge on every fitness-related angle imaginable...

Things are not hopeless and you can make a dramatic change in your life. It will not be easy. But, like they said, small changes. Baby steps. Consistency. Perseverance. Keep pushin', man. Smaller meals. More frequent meals. Lots of water. Maybe lunchtime walks. Taking the stairs more often. Maybe get the family involved so it doesn't take away from "family time". You can do this, H.

And what the heck is up with this doctor? He shrugged!? Mutt's right - get a new doctor. Keep reading FT. And start making some changes! Good luck to you, H, and please keep us posted with your progress!

TSMD
hsimpson
hsimpson
United States
2003/10/05, 09:16 AM
Thank you all for the good advice and replies. I feel better knowing there is at least a chance of changing things. I am going to implement many of these suggestions, especially the working out part soon as my work schedule slows down.
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2003/10/30, 04:31 AM
Do you think you could talk your entire family into going for a 15 minute walk as soon as you get home from work? Then another one right before you go to bed? 15 minutes is nothing when you think about it and it'll help quite a bit.

I'm not positive on the validity of these articles. I've been reading in a few magazines and doctors have been doing some studies that when you walk 15 minutes you'll actually burn more fat than you would if you walked 30 or 45 minutes.