Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Concerns of Overtraning, PLEASE help!

Australia
2007/01/29, 11:04 PM
Dear Reader,

Before I begin Ill outline what I am doing currently to what Ill be doing later so bare with me - I am currently working out 3 days per week for approx 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 mins on a three day split that gives Monday, Wednesday and Fri. This allows for greater recovery and so on. But because of my new university timetable I have less felxable hours and days to spilt my workout. This is the major concern I have, Just so you's know I have been working out with weights for 1 year now and currently fit between intemediate and advanced strength test levels based on weight lifting performance levels. If I work out on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday AND Thursday without a break between days will I be overtraining at all? Monday will be chest and tricepts, Tuesday a class with body pump, Wednesday legs and shoulders, and finally back and biceps on Thursday. Is this overtraining? Will I be running the risk of looseing rather then gaining? I am concerned that due to the small period of rest Ill be getting between the work out days Ill be tired, overtrained and possibly sore. Is there a high likelihood that this is overtraining? Or is it sastaniable? Will my experience be enough to allow me to take such a heavy workload as by now my muscles are used to being worked out? ANY information at all would be greaty appreciated. Also would high protein level intakes be better for recovery? I take between 120 - 140 grams a day, woudl upping the ammount help more with this more intense workout plan?

Kind Regards,

Robert Murphy
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/01/30, 12:19 PM
Training limits and recovery times vary from person to person. Just try it out. If you start to see signs of overtraining then you have your answer. Since you are basically doing a body part split, I bet you will be ok, but this is also dependent on your exercise selection, intensity, volume...ect. For example, if you squat on Wednesday and then deadlift on Thursday you might have a higher risk of overtraining since they train similar muscle groups. Again, this is very individual and in my experience changes over time.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/01/30, 12:24 PM
I think that as long as you eat right, get enough water and sleep that you shouldn't have a problem. I doubt you would hit an overtraining state as much as just overall tiredness from so much work in such a compressed amount of time.

But as Pemdas said, give it a shot and listen to your body.
w220swift
w220swift
United States
2007/02/01, 04:26 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of how to figure out how many calories a person will burn off during a weight lifting session? I know that there are going to be a lot of variables, but I am just looking for something that will get me in the ball park.

Thank you
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/02/01, 04:39 PM
I just checked using fitday.com and it says about 150cal / 30min. Now this is obviously a ball park but at least it gives you a number.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/02/01, 06:16 PM
w220swift, I think you should look at long term benefits of building muscle. You will burn more calories at a rested state the more lean muscle you have.