Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Bitter Orange Vs. MaHuang(Ephedra)

presto35
presto35
United States
2003/01/06, 12:15 PM
Hey All.
I am looking for some information on the difference between bitter orange extract and Ephedra. I like the sounds of what Ephedra does for you but I am concerned with all the horror stories. I want to loose fat and gain strength not die. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/01/06, 02:47 PM
Bitter Orange is the herbal form of synephrine. Through its stimulation of specific receptors (beta-3, but not beta-1, beta-2 or alpha-1), synephrine is theorized to stimulate fat metabolism without the negative cardiovascular side effects experienced by some people with Ma Huang/ephedra, which stimulates all beta-adrenergic receptors. Some studies have shown, however, that even though synephrine only hits beta-3 receptors, there can still be somewhat of an elevation in the cardiovascular system, though not as severe as ephedra. By the same token, even though synephrine may be a good thermogenic, ephedra is probably more effective because of its stimulation of all of the receptors.

Hope that helps………

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2003/01/06, 03:29 PM
Many of the horror stories that you have been hearing involve an unsafe level of ephedra or involve people with existing high blood pressure/heart conditions (or both in some cases). If you are physically fit with no heart problems or high blood pressure, then ephedra is safe, as long as you do not take more than the recommended dosage. Bitter orange is a safer alternative, but less effective as Michael pointed out.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
presto35
presto35
United States
2003/01/07, 03:05 PM
So correct me if I am wrong. It sounds like the best thing for me (being that I just started to get back into weight training after a 7 year haitus, and have moderatly high BP)is to start by taking a bitter orange supplement until i am in better shape and lower my BP. Then switch to an Ephedra based supplement, if i feel it necessary?!?!?!?!?

--------------
Mike