Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Bicycling

erinrebecca
erinrebecca
United States
2002/04/23, 09:13 AM
I signed up last night and got my routine for exercising. I am a beginner for sure and it just seems like alot, but I will do my best. My question here is riding my bike. Should I ride after my routine...before my routine...or on my off days? My ride is 2 miles and lots of small hills but hills are hills if you ask me especially closer to the end of the ride. Please if someone would respond I would appreciate it. Thanks for the "free" routine...I think it is great. And I like the fact that if you do't have weights or a gym you make it to where you can still get the exercises that you need here at home. Erin
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/23, 10:38 AM
Welcome to ft, Erin! Glad you've found us.

Bike riding is a form of cardio, therefore, I would advise doing cardio either after weight training, another time of day or on non-weight training days altogether.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress...

--------------
**_Robert_**
vinni
vinni
United States
2002/04/23, 01:23 PM
hello Erin and GOOD luck to you.

--------------
Vinni =POWERED BY IRON=
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/23, 01:38 PM
I tried cardio and my workout in the same day, if you do decide to do it that way I strongly recommend spacing them out in the day. Cardio morning, weights evening.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/04/28, 07:52 PM
I just started incorporating riding in my routine. I do weight training and am not much for doing the treadmill or some of the other cardio machines. RIDING, more like it and we try to do 24 miles on our off nights. We have some great bike trails and they are simply wonderful here in Ohio. Not much hills but pure straight riding and its a great workout. I hope it does the body good! Some of the people here at FT are great inspirations - you'll see such with their pics. I need to gear up and diet more to burn fat so once we get done with a upcoming 100 mile ride, I'm going to go on a suggested diet and then see what happens. All I know is I love lifting, its neat to see muscle and I am going to start doing my legs more. I havent tried the routines here but am going to once I get my shoulder rehabed. Good Luck.
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/04/28, 08:14 PM
wow 24 miles that is a good work out........keep up the good work...........
dmvwh8kq4j
dmvwh8kq4j
United States
2002/04/30, 06:16 PM
Workingoutgirl,

Sounds like your bike training is going well. I assume that since you're riding trails that you train on a mountain bike. Is your race on the trails too, or are you also riding on the road? My training partners (all triathletes)are desperately trying since my last knee surgery (3/27) to get me to start riding. Our trails are pretty rugged and limited to winter because of the bugs so I will probably begin on a road bike. This limits my hazards to crashes, cars, dogs and potholes. My question to you is this....is it worth the risk? At my age I'm wondering if it's worth taking up a new sport that requires more equipment!

Nancy
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2002/04/30, 06:25 PM
Nancy - Actually, you should go onto google.com, look up Ohio Bike trails. The ones by me are really kept up (local taxes) and beautiful riding. Asphalt trails with an occasional dead animal (raccoon or such) or sticks from the trees, but the ride that I'll be doing in a couple of weeks is some event that has been done for yrs and its maintained but regular roads. I don't hve a mountain bike...you know the racer tires.......that type. I enjoy the riding, shoulders are the only thing that hurts some afterwards. ANd yep, I've had two spills already...get this...coz I had my one foot in the pedal (locks my shoe type in) and was waiting for my boyfriend....and duh - lost my balanced and tipped over....not once...but twice in the same night...(smarted on the second fall) so....I need to learn to take both feet off!