Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Best Fitness Certification?

Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/11/29, 02:50 AM
Figured this would be the best place to ask...

What is the best organization (and quickest and least expensive way) to get a fitness certification, i.e. become a certified personal trainer?

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/11/29, 12:17 PM
The best isn't going to be the cheapest/quickest one. American College of Sports Medicine is one of the best (considered the Gold Satndard by many) But is expensive and requires a lot of studying and hands-on practice.
ACE, the American Council on Exercise, is respected and fairly easy. You need to buy the manual and study, and the questions are sometimes tricky, but it is held many times a year in most major cities.
I worked with a guy who was doing the ISSA certification - their tests looked fairly hard, but my problem with certs-by-mail is that you can cheat by looking it up in the manual, so how real are the tests?
Look online at ACE, NASM, and others organozations, there are tons of cheap, fly-by-nihgt orgs offering certification - try to do the right thing and get a respected certification.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/11/30, 01:10 AM
Thanks asimmer...I don't even know if I will do it but if I'm doing the research, need to be reading the right stuff ;) Thanks again.

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
one_man_bandiam
one_man_bandiam
United States
2003/12/03, 06:40 PM
i am going to the pf-institute. its very good. Gold's gym approved
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/12/04, 12:50 AM
I recently saw a commercial for that PFI - they just opened up a location out here in Vegas. So, I went to their website and took a look around: 6 months of education; pretty decent classes and hours. Kinda looks like it would be in the middle of getting a certification through someone like ISSA, and going for a BS in something like Kineseology/Athletic training.

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!