Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Bench press dilemma!

Arngrim
Arngrim
Canada
2002/03/11, 11:33 PM
I have been working out for a while now when i started off i could only bench about 135lbs. two times now I can only do 175 lbs. 2 times no matter how hard i try i just cant seem to make any more gains on my bench. I work out 5 times a week. I do chest once a week. I was wondering if anyone knows how i can make my chest stronger so that i can bench more. I'm aiming for a max press of 225lbs. and to be able to do 175 lbs. a good 12 reps with good form. But i just dont see this happening. Is there any way to make my chest stronger? Please help if u know. Thanks.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/12, 01:52 AM
Do you always work in the same way? Always the same number of reps with the same weight?
If yes then that's your problem.

Try to change completely your chest work out. Forget the flat bench press for a while (or you can do partiel reps) and do some inclined and declined presses. Also do pliometrical/jumping push ups, work with the cables etc. Forget about the pyramidal system but take one exercise and just do as many reps as possible (don't matter if you do 40!!!)

Do this for a couple of weeks, and then a day after a good warm up try to take VERY heavy on the bench press. You'll be surprised to see the changes.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Slim-Daddy
Slim-Daddy
Canada
2002/03/12, 04:55 AM
bench press isnt just chest its triceps and shoulders as well,so work on those as well as your chest.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/12, 11:26 AM
Sounds like you've hit that infamous plateau. Most of us have hit that at some point or another. Like the others have said, you'll have to change your routine as your muscles have already adapted to your workout. Also, put more emphasis on your shoulder and arm workouts as well. There's a lot of support muscles there that'll help you lift the heavy weights.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/13, 02:29 AM
Yes I forgot to say that it's a good idea to strengthen your forearms as well. With stronger forearms you'll be able to take more heavy as well.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Iluvlifting2001
Iluvlifting2001
United States
2002/03/13, 12:42 PM
Come up with about 3 overall workouts to rotate like every one said and rotate them every 2-3 months. Heavy rowing and tricept exercises have really helped me.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/03/14, 05:27 AM
I agree with the posts above. Sounds like you need to change the way you work your chest. I was stuck on 300lbs as my max for way too long. I started a new program and I'm now doing sets with 300lbs. I simply started lifting heavier weight for more sets. Simple as that. After stretching, I start by doing my warm-up (20 push-ups, then 135lbs for 15 reps), then I start loading on the weight, which will shock the muscles. My next sets are 225, 255, 285, 285, 300, 300. I jump up in weight and stay heavy on my last 4-5 sets because pushing heavy weights is the only thing that will make me stronger. Although going heavy will reduce the number of reps you do, you WILL get stronger and you will probably pack on a little more mass as well. Go up to 85-95% of your max on every workout. This concept does not just apply to the bench press. You can do incline, squats, leg presses, etc following this same idea.

I would also encourage you to do some heavy tricep and shoulder excercises as well. Skullcrushers (lying tricep extensions) and close-grip presses with help with your overall tricep strength and mass. Military presses are the best things for your shoulders. Just be sure to be careful when you do these heavy, as it may cause shoulder injury if performed incorrectly.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Arngrim
Arngrim
Canada
2002/03/14, 01:26 PM
Thanks a lot for ur suggestions everybody. I think im gonna change my routine like u guys said. And see how it goes for a while.